I need help finding an amp for akg k271..
Apr 1, 2006 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

apotek

Head-Fier
Hello;
This means that I have some money again
smily_headphones1.gif
)because I am posting here
smily_headphones1.gif
))now that I have my k271 for a while I need an amp....and that means I need your guide...here are the conditions and options.

first of all I have $300, secondly I am looking for home use only.I did some search and I narrowed it down to little dot 2 and gilmore lite.I never had a tube amp so I have no idea what I am getting into with little dot.On the other hand even though I read some fantastic reviews about gilmore, is it powerfull enough to drive my akg's???when you post keep in mind that in the future I will buy more headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
))(you know its a sickness) I might get into hd600 or grados ( since I have both of them in lower end I love both cans for their own signiture and purpose)...

I am oppen to other suggestions as well...as long as its in my price range.But I am deffinetly looking for something good....Please help me guys...you have been great with my other decisions
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 9
The Gilmore Lite is a great amp for AKG cans, you should have no hesitation to get it for the K271S. I've seen a number of Head-Fi'ers here use a Gilmore Lite with either the K271S or K240S.

Apr 1, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 9
thanks for the reply...any other Ideas???

Apr 1, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 9
The AKG K271S is a good midrange can, with good bass response when driven properly.

I use mine mostly with a RSA XP-7, and I get very nice results.

If you like the midrangey-ness of the AKG, you may or may not like the Gilmore house sound. I found that when I've listened to Gilmore design amps that they were dryer than I like, and I wasn't crazy about what they did to the midrange. That said, a LOT of folks like them a LOT, and I can understand that...just not to MY personal taste, particularly with AKG's.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 9
Hey lets make this an all New Yorker thread and get Romanee and some other New Yorkers onboard.............I run my k271 with a Portaphile (auctually X3 with Blackgate caps, A Biasing, DC back) and I'm very happy with the combo. Got a Elpac for it. It sits on top of a computer, plugged in like any other home amp. But, it is really portable in size and weight (delivery guy had wondered it there really was anything actually in the package....and unopened, it made me wonder). You may wish to read Plainsong's multi-amp review and do a search for Romanee's posts here on Head-fi.........plenty of power for your K271's and Grado's etc., and helps the low end roll off of the k271.

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 9
any ideas about little dot 2 with akg's...looks like its a very low budget tube amp that might work for me at the moment...besides I always liked the look of tube amp....of course I am not going for a look sq is alot more important...Let me hear some comments about tube amps with akgs
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 9
There was a group-buy for the Little Dot II at Ipodstudio (forum) and I seem to remember there was another one elsewhere. Considerable problems ensued with the "working integrity" of the amps. I cannot attest to the quality and possible changes to those amps since last fall...........but I had almost became a buyer and am glad I did not .........plus I remember the days when there was no amps but tube amps........the suddenly appearing hums, noises, sudden death syndrome. Right now, for me, Portaphile and Xin work great.........my expensive purchase later in the year (to power k340) will be either 75% chance SS, or maybe (25% chance) hybrid (eg. Raptor).

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
There was a group-buy for the Little Dot II at Ipodstudio (forum) and I seem to remember there was another one elsewhere. Considerable problems ensued with the "working integrity" of the amps. I cannot attest to the quality and possible changes to those amps since last fall...........but I had almost became a buyer and am glad I did not .........plus I remember the days when there was no amps but tube amps........the suddenly appearing hums, noises, sudden death syndrome. Right now, for me, Portaphile and Xin work great.........my expensive purchase later in the year (to power k340) will be either 75% chance SS, or maybe (25% chance) hybrid (eg. Raptor).

I don't really know what SS or hybird means..since I don't had any of them before...but I think you are right I think I should stay away from tube for a while specially a lower end one llike the little dot 2....

going back to gilmore lite....how would that be compared to headfive from corda...I know headfive is not out yet but there should be similar model from corda to compare... it sounds like a very good deal for 250 shipped....I would like to know if it would be better then gilmore as far as the SQ??

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 9
apotek,
I'm using a Corda HA-1 with my 271s. Getting very good results - mids are wonderful as always, and the bass response improves very nicely when using them. judging from that, the Headfive should be even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back