I need help finding a portable amp!
Feb 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #46 of 60
Don't worry about the bass vs non bass war, your probass side won that (in terms of sales and dollars I mean)

I'm personally pro-bass, and generally pro-make-it-sound-good-to-you. Even as a bass hear it irks me to no end that all the "mainstream" products are geared toward bloated low frequencies, because I think there are a lot of people who would benefit from a more balanced spectrum. So you can just take your snippy attitude and cram it with walnuts.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #47 of 60
They did. The beats pro. Unfortunately, the pros have much less bass than their other models, with the same ol' beats quality mids and highs (AKA garbage). So They'd be worse than what I have now.

Try the Mixrs. In an overall sense they don't sound as good as the M100s but they're DAMN impressive, durable as hell, have great bass (without it sounded messy) and the mids/highs aren't lost in the shuffle. I'm not even gonna lie it was a serious toss-up between them and the M100s for me, and the M100s didn't exactly take a commanding lead.

Warning: if you get the Mixrs, you'll need to stretch the headband. They're REALLY tight at first. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #49 of 60

See all this bass is just making everyone angry.

LOL does that really sound like the kinda thing that I'd say in anger? It's a Simpsons quote, try and stick with me.

Worry about the rest of what I said, anyway. If you'll notice, flatter headphones ARE starting to push their way in. You can find studio monitor types in Best Buy now, and several of the higher-end lines aren't bass bloaters (remember the VMODA M100 isn't their just-bass model, that's the LP2, also the Sol Republic V12 as opposed to the Tracks HD).

Besides, maybe the issue is more with what kind of music is most popular. If this were 1998-2001 when nu-metal and boy bands were ruling the charts, bass heavy headphones wouldn't be particularly popular because people would want to hear the guitars and the singers. Right now it's more beat-heavy music, so we have... Beats headphones. What's the shock?

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #50 of 60
I'm not arguing over what's best. I'm just saying that everyone has different preferences. And well, I prefer bass. Not like, fake bloated bass. But I want quality bass that's more powerful.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #51 of 60
I'm not arguing over what's best. I'm just saying that everyone has different preferences. And well, I prefer bass. Not like, fake bloated bass. But I want quality bass that's more powerful.

That's my point, too. Sound is so subjective, and just because a producer made it sound one way doesn't mean I'm beholden to think that it sounds best that way. I've even heard rap songs where I went "okay, the producer cranked that way too hard" and wanted to pull the bass down a bit because it sounded like hell. We never know what's going on in the studio, what matters is my ears.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #52 of 60
That's my point, too. Sound is so subjective, and just because a producer made it sound one way doesn't mean I'm beholden to think that it sounds best that way. I've even heard rap songs where I went "okay, the producer cranked that way too hard" and wanted to pull the bass down a bit because it sounded like hell. We never know what's going on in the studio, what matters is my ears.

Totally agreed on all points.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #53 of 60
ag- an equalizer app won't support the extra juice needed for the bass.

Bobby, honestly, I don't think there's anything in the headphone world that has what you need.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #54 of 60
Really? Dang. Then I better do some research and learn how to make the kind of headphones I want from scratch, because I'll be rich! You have no idea how many people that I know alone that want what I want as well. Billion dollar idea right there for anyone who's interested. Just saying.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #55 of 60
  ag- an equalizer app won't support the extra juice needed for the bass.

Bobby, honestly, I don't think there's anything in the headphone world that has what you need.

From what he's said in other threads, I just think he has a bum pair of M100s or there's some reason that the cups aren't sealing properly to his head. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #56 of 60
Really? Dang. Then I better do some research and learn how to make the kind of headphones I want from scratch, because I'll be rich! You have no idea how many people that I know alone that want what I want as well. Billion dollar idea right there for anyone who's interested. Just saying.

No. It's a tiny demographic.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #57 of 60
That depends on how many watts the headphone jack puts out. I just did the above equalizer trick (move 60 hz up 15db and move all other frequencies down 10 db) via spotifys equalizer (but I didn't turn on bass boat) on my completely bass less and bright srh940s and it had so much bass it sort of hurt my ears after 5 minutes.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #58 of 60
Well, I just bought the ZO2 amp a couple days ago. I'm going to slightly and carefully bend the headband tighter so it has a better fit on my head.

Worst case scenario, I still hate it, and I'll return the V-MODA's and just use the amp with my Urbeats. I just tried my urbeats with my 3X bass booster setting on my iTunes equalizer (I can't believe I didn't just think of trying that before), and it was almost too much at that point. It actually was too much and I turned it down a bit.

So, apparently the ZO2 can go up to 5X bass boost (or so they claim) without distorting the rest of the music. So, if this doesn't work out, I guess I'll have to figure out a way to put like a 2.5X bass boost on most of my playlist, and just use my urbeats. Cost: $100. Beats paying $400 for a pair of headphones that don't seal right + an amp that doesn't help much.

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #59 of 60
For what it's worth, I love the Shure SE215 headphones.  They are not terribly expensive, and have quite pronounced bass.  They are not overpowering on bass where you will ruin the music, but are definitely a step up form many headphones I have had before.  I'd recommend them to anyone getting started looking for a decent IEM with pronounced bass.  Definitely worth looking into for the price point on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back