I need help buying a new amp
Dec 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chococya96

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys :p I'm new to this site and recently I was searching up this site to buy a new headphone. And I finally decided which model to buy and that model is: AKG K701 http://www.akg.com/personal/,pcp_id,165,pid,1,_psmand,1.html&:K%20701. Pretty good headphone and the price is good (I'm at Japan right now and when I checked the price, it was 25800yen - reasonable price I guess). 

First of all, I'm not sure if I should get an amp in full-size or portable... I don't know which suits this headphone so here I am asking you guys, which amp suits my headphone?? however, I want an amp where you can use for your computer and also carry around if possible... but that is just my preference :p

Moroever, I will be using this headphone for:
- Computer (Mainly)
- Mp3 player

So, can anyone give me any recommandation for which amp to get, that suits this headset.

Tnx a lot guys :D really appreciate your help ^^

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 14
Ahh, okay to put it simple: I want an amp that I can use for computer.

But also, if possible I want to take around with me as well.

For portable, can you do both or is it just for taking around??

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 14
I seem to say this a lot but the Lisa lll is transportable so you can take it and use it at home.  It performs close to or better than many home amps and you can take it with you but it is big for pockets except jacket or maybe back pocket of jeans.  The sound is great.

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 14
ok, does it need to be battery powered(truly portable)? or can it be an amp that plugs into a wall?

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 14
It is two units, the Lisa lll is battery powered and it can charge or be run with it's extra power supply, the LLP, that runs it with a bit more power when connected and charges the battery.  I have the pair and have been very happy with them for several years (2).
Edit-the website is:
http://www.triadaudio.net/Triad_Audio/Home.html

Good Luck.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 14
my question was meant to be to the OP. i was asking if he needed something that runs on batteries or if it could be a wall powered unit.

the lisa III sounds cool though.

Quote:
It is two units, the Lisa lll is battery powered and it can charge or be run with it's extra power supply, the LLP, that runs it with a bit more power when connected and charges the battery.  I have the pair and have been very happy with them for several years (2).
Edit-the website is:

Good Luck.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 14
If you want portability I would avoid the K701s. They are not easy to drive and will make you look like an astronaut in public. Maybe portable amps have come a long way, but I think they are not good at driving full size headphones. Personally I would buy some Sennheiser HD650s and a Meier Concerto, Original Master, or Kicas amp used.

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
my question was meant to be to the OP. i was asking if he needed something that runs on batteries or if it could be a wall powered unit.

the lisa III sounds cool though.

Quote:
Edit-the website is:

Good Luck.

redface.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #13 of 14
I answered that didn't I?? Well I need an amp that is wall-powered, so in other words, I'm gonna use for my computer...

But, it seems that my AKG K701s don't need an amp since the impedence is low (62ohms) instead I think I should upgrade my sound card for my desktop. Since I said that I will be using it for desktop, probably in-built amp would be better than buying it separately...

Anyway, tnx guys for suggestions but if guys have any good ideas/against my idea of upgrading sound card, please feel free to post replies ^^

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 14
K701's, despite their low impedance, actually require plenty of oomph to drive. More impedance =/= harder to drive. Most speakers don't go over 8 ohms, does that make them easier to drive?

Don't quote me, but K701's should go well with a solid state amp. Look around, do some snooping. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back