I need comfy flip flops...
May 22, 2005 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

djgustashaw

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey y'all, I really need a really comfortable pair of flip flops. I have one pair that I like a lot, I got them at the Gap about 7 or 8 years ago, but they've been falling apart for like 4 years now; they actually absorb water when you walk through a puddle. The reason I still bother wearing them is because they're perfectly broken in, and they're made of very cushy foam.

I've bought countless cheap pairs since I got those, but they've all ended up breaking in my feet instead of the other way round. I want another pair that's really cushy and comfortable, because I've definitely learned that you get what you pay for. I was hoping some of y'all could give me recommendations of brands that you like. I was looking at these, I like the style a lot because they're really simple and a solid color. They're also on sale until tomorrow, which is a plus.

Anyway though, I'm open to recommendatoins. Thanks!

May 22, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 26
I was not familiar with that term ('flip-flops'). I've always just thought of them as 'beach slippers'. I was also surprised that they are called 'thongs'.
very_evil_smiley.gif
"Chancletas" is the Spanish word for 'sandals'.

May 22, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

I was also surprised that they are called 'thongs'

"Thongs" is what we used to call them back in the 70's and early 80's. The only time people wore them was if you were going to the beach or to a pool. Somehow they evolved into everyday footwear at which time they became "flip flops".

May 22, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen
"Thongs" is what we used to call them back in the 70's and early 80's. The only time people wore them was if you were going to the beach or to a pool. Somehow they evolved into everyday footwear at which time they became "flip flops".

I think 'flip-flop' came about because of the sound they make, especially when wet, as one walks on concrete (a pool or walking to the parked car) or wood (pool deck, NJ Boardwalk).

Everytime I will probably gaze upon a 'thong sand-al' I will envision a young woman wearing a thong. But at least I will know where that thought is coming from. (No, I'm not a beach person, I prefer the mountains. Heck, I live in the heat now all the time, why would I want to go to a beach?).

May 22, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
"Chancletas" is the Spanish word for 'sandals'.

In spanish "Chancletas" are chancletas. That's 'flip-flops'.
And the exact spanish word for "Sandals" is 'Sandalias'. Which it's not the same.
wink.gif

We have a lot of fun when we see at Spain tourists with sandals and white socks.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 22, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 26
Thanks. I now know another Spanish word. (For the life of me I cannot pronounce the Spanish word for 'movie', "película". I get tongue tied. Oh, well...)

May 22, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Thanks. I now know another Spanish word. (For the life of me I cannot pronounce the Spanish word for 'movie', "película". I get tongue tied. Oh, well...)

If you feel better i'm from 'Andalucía' (South of Spain) and there we 'eat' a lot of letters (plurals) when talking spanish. And for me it's impossible pronounce English
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 26
They're not exactly flip-flops, but I've got two pairs of sandals made by a company called Chaco. They're a little bit like Teva's but they've got better soles and a really cool self-adjusting design. I wear them just about everywhere outside of work and have even been hiking in them before.

May 22, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shosta
If you feel better i'm from 'Andalucía' (South of Spain) and there we 'eat' a lot of letters (plurals) when talking spanish. And for me it's impossible pronounce English
biggrin.gif

Where in andalucia? I spent the four best years of my life in el puerto de santa maria.. 100 meters from the beach.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back