I need cans that don't leak!
May 12, 2002 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

marmul

100+ Head-Fier
Any suggestions? I have Senn 590's, Grado 60's and Koss ksc35's. Like them all but with the offspring in the houe now I need total silence. Ety's are out, i fear popping the eardrum(I am clumsy).

I was going to buy some Grado 325's do they leak as much as my Senns?

Sound, comfort, price in the order of importance.

I listen to mainly classic rock/grunge, jazz, some opera/classical.

Thanks for your help.

May 12, 2002 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 20
325s aren't your answer. You should be fine with just about any set of closed cans. Senn 280s are supposed to be very quiet (I've never heard them). It all depends on how much you want to spend. You'd probably do fine with a set of Sony v6s, but the Beyerdynamic line has a few phones you should check out as well (DT250, 770). I haven't heard the Beyers, so I'll leave the recommendations about which ones to buy for your musical tastes to someone else.

May 12, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 20
I'm a big fan of the Beyer DT250-80. They're loads of fun to listen to. Great bass, gread mids, and polite highs, and an actual soundstage. They're not an Ety or an HD600, but as long as you realize that going in, they'll give you plenty of enjoyment. I use mine more than I do my Ety 4S or AKG K501 now.

May 12, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 20
Grado's probably leak even more than the Senn's. Get some Sony's or Beyer's... models already listed here. Also, I'm sure if you did a search of the forums you could find reviews between the two as this question has been asked quite a bit.

May 13, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 20
marmul,

Ety's can't get better than near your eardrum. Unless you are a frog. (It's frogs, isn't it, that have a tympanum membrane on the outer surface of their heads?)

Well, you get the idea. If Ety's could reach eardrums, they'd be plastered with warnings to avert lawsuits--and that's not the case.

May 14, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 20
Wes,

My concern was not the Ety's puncturing my eardrum. My concern was back pressure created when i lean on the cord and yank the little bugger out of my ear. POP! Freaks me out man.

Thanks for the input everyone, where can I get these things for less than 169.00?

Marc.

May 14, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 20
I used 325's for about 5 years at the office not really affecting others, but it was always a concern. I not only got tired of them bleeding out, I didn't like the outside distractions even more. I tried the Beyer 250 and the Ety's ER-4S to see what they were like. the beyer was a little to full in the bass, but the Etys reminded me of good electrostatic's that can rock. I listen to metal, rock, jazz, and they never failed in that regard as long as they were seated properly which you would know right away. The part I found funny was that anytime i put on normal cans, I feel violated. Kind of like why do I need the strap anything on my head. I have never yanked them out by accident but make sure they are clipped to your shirt and even tuck in the wire if that helps. I tried my comparrisons on the Cosmic but have since gone to the MOHR which makes them even better. They are very source dependant which I find many just can't reveal. Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 20
If you've decided on the DT250s, go to Meier Audio. The DT250-80s are $145 there. They also have the DT770, which I use, for $130.

May 14, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 20
I wear my Etymotics in the gym. I hook the clip to the back of my collar, and run the leads forward against my neck, then they loop back to my ears. I occasionally snag one of the leads on a bench corner or a bar end. I have never yanked one out, but it is a very strange sensation getting stopped in my tracks by friction against my ear canal. I think that the foam tips would let air past fast enough to avoid damage to the TM, but I have never tried it. The rubber suction cup tips are a different matter.

I have Beyer and Sony closed phones, but they do not isolate very well. Compared to the ER4, they are merely a suggestion for the sound to stay out.

One consideration is how your family will react when you are enjoying music (i.e.ignoring them). If you are going to be removing the phones frequently to answer questions, go with the cans. If you can get away with prolonged listening sessions (15 min or greater) the Etys would be my choice.

Good luck

gerG

May 14, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 20
The best closed cans I've used have been the Beyer DT 770 and the JVC HA-DX3. For something a little smaller then you can try the Sony MDR-V6. I think the 770 sounds better than the more expensive 250. Keep in mind that these will sound better with an amp.

May 14, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
I wear my Etymotics in the gym. I hook the clip to the back of my collar, and run the leads forward against my neck, then they loop back to my ears. I occasionally snag one of the leads on a bench corner or a bar end.

gerG

I do the same thing, for safety and to reduce the microphonics (it helps a lot!). The third advantage is the way people start to look at you once they notice it.
tongue.gif

May 15, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks for all your suggestions. I decided to go with the Beyer 250-80's. I was not interested in keeping outside noises out. My issue was keeping the earphone sound in the earphone.

I will advise when I recieve and listen the the Beyer's.

Thanks again for your help.

May 16, 2002 at 3:51 PM Post #15 of 20
I just recieved my Beyer 250-80's and I like them. You can here little or no sound leaking out of these things and they are easy to drive. Thanks for the suggestions.

Marc.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back