I need an earbud after bad experience with IEM
Oct 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

userrname

New Head-Fier
I bought the GR07 MK2 (first IEM ever), I tried all the tips and not a single one made me feel comfortable wearing it. The sound with the right tip for me is great, but in terms of  comfortability is a pain in the ass. I don't get how anyone can wear these for more than 30 minutes without discomfort. I've been recomended the Comply Comfort tips but im scared I will buy them for nothing and I have the possibility to return the GR07 and get the money back so... I think I will not risk it. I just want to buy an earbud (or whatever you call this, an earphone that doesn't need you to stick the tip INSIDE your ear canal), it has to sit comfortably outside the ear and barely be noticeable so I can wear them for a long time. It also has to have the best isolation and sound quality possible WITHOUT compromising comfortability.
It would be great if they are good enough to produce with them besides casual usage. I have headphones as my main weapon for production but the headband gives me a headache after a while, so I want to take rests with a super comfortable non-headband device at night (i cant use speakers at night)
Thanks

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 20
My thoughts:

Earbuds will not give you much, if anything in the way of isolation.  Go IEM or full size for that.

I have also never had an earbud (with the possible exception of an old (late 80s) Koss set) that had any kind of decent sound.  The design itself is inherently flawed.  That's not to say they don't exist, I'm sure they do, but you will get much better sound out of something that goes in your ear canal or covers your entire ear.

I would not do any sort of music producing on earbuds.  They don't have the signal response or sensitivity that you would need for that.

Just my thoughts.  I don't use IEMs at all (my ears produce WAY too much wax for them), so take that into consideration.  I'd use a good set of full size headphones (even portable, and I do with my DT770s) over earbuds in every situation, though I prefer my on-ear Grados when I don't have too much outside sound.

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 20
  I bought the GR07 MK2 (first IEM ever), I tried all the tips and not a single one made me feel comfortable wearing it. The sound with the right tip for me is great, but in terms of  comfortability is a pain in the ass. I don't get how anyone can wear these for more than 30 minutes without discomfort. I've been recomended the Comply Comfort tips but im scared I will buy them for nothing and I have the possibility to return the GR07 and get the money back so... I think I will not risk it. I just want to buy an earbud (or whatever you call this, an earphone that doesn't need you to stick the tip INSIDE your ear canal), it has to sit comfortably outside the ear and barely be noticeable so I can wear them for a long time. It also has to have the best isolation and sound quality possible WITHOUT compromising comfortability.
It would be great if they are good enough to produce with them besides casual usage. I have headphones as my main weapon for production but the headband gives me a headache after a while, so I want to take rests with a super comfortable non-headband device at night (i cant use speakers at night)
Thanks

Try the Blox (There is a thread on them here somewhere). They are cheap and unbelievably good sounding.

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 20
  My thoughts:

Earbuds will not give you much, if anything in the way of isolation.  Go IEM or full size for that.

I have also never had an earbud (with the possible exception of an old (late 80s) Koss set) that had any kind of decent sound.  The design itself is inherently flawed.  That's not to say they don't exist, I'm sure they do, but you will get much better sound out of something that goes in your ear canal or covers your entire ear.

I would not do any sort of music producing on earbuds.  They don't have the signal response or sensitivity that you would need for that.

Just my thoughts.  I don't use IEMs at all (my ears produce WAY too much wax for them), so take that into consideration.  I'd use a good set of full size headphones (even portable, and I do with my DT770s) over earbuds in every situation, though I prefer my on-ear Grados when I don't have too much outside sound.

I have the DT770, I even have the true leather components and the headband is painful after an hour of usage or so. I wish there was a way to have similar headphones without the headband on top. Why no one has invented that yet? it ****s up my hair too.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 20
  The M2C is the latest iteration of the earbud.

How can I trust this? The guy got banned for writting paid reviews:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/649302/review-blox-anv3-i-am-ordering-you-to-buy-a-pair

In the case of these headphones all of the previous stuff is absolutely irrelevant. That’s right it all counts t nothing because these sound amazing. I am not exaggerating here but these could take on most top tier IEMs and even win if they suit your sound signature. When first listening to these one thing will hit you before anything else. And that is the soundstage, huge and airy. Other than that these have a bright sound that is rather smooth regardless and has good energy and presence in all departments and ticks a lot of boxes. The only place it does sometimes show that it is not a true top tier is speed. I get the sound I describer here out of most rigs but I actually get a lush warm sound with toned down treble and brightness from the iPod Classic > MyST PortAMP, that is the best synergy!

Thats just ridiculous. How can some cheap ass looking earbuds compete with "most top tier IEM's". Lol

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 20
  How can I trust this? The guy got banned for writting paid reviews:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/649302/review-blox-anv3-i-am-ordering-you-to-buy-a-pair

Thats just ridiculous. How can some cheap ass looking earbuds compete with "most top tier IEM's". Lol

They can't. But you will get no better sound out of an earbud than those. The only problem is sealing them and I found the silicon gell doughnuts to do a decent job of that.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 20
  They can't. But you will get no better sound out of an earbud than those. The only problem is sealing them and I found the silicon gell doughnuts to do a decent job of that.

But my first concern is comfortability. Are they comfortable to wear for long periods of time? because that is why I gave up on the GR07.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 20
  But my first concern is comfortability. Are they comfortable to wear for long periods of time? because that is why I gave up on the GR07.

I barely know they are there until I catch the cord on something.. They are essentially weightless and the silicone ringsI use  have pretty much no feel to them after a few minutes.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 20
  Where did you buy them? also how do they compare to the Blox TM7 and Sennheiser MX985??

I bought mine used. I am not qualified to to comment on the TM7 not having heard them. I have an older version of the Sennheisers and they were previously my go to earbud. If the Sennheiser signature is up your alley they may be a better bet for you. For me  the blox provide a more open out of head  sound with a little less bottom end which is more to my liking.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 20

I bought mine used. I am not qualified to to comment on the TM7 not having heard them. I have an older version of the Sennheisers and they were previously my go to earbud. If the Sennheiser signature is up your alley they may be a better bet for you. For me  the blox provide a more open out of head  sound with a little less bottom end which is more to my liking.

I used to own a Sennheiser 280 pro which gave me hours of fun, I even manged to produce good stuff that got released with it, even if it's an unorthodox headphone to use for mixing. I also owned the 650HD, which I returned due not enough isolation. I remember it was too smooth for me as well.
In any case, with an earphone my first concern is comfortability, I want to be unnoticeable that you are wearing it.

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 20
  I used to own a Sennheiser 280 pro which gave me hours of fun, I even manged to produce good stuff that got released with it, even if it's an unorthodox headphone to use for mixing. I also owned the 650HD, which I returned due not enough isolation. I remember it was too smooth for me as well.
In any case, with an earphone my first concern is comfortability, I want to be unnoticeable that you are wearing it.

The Sennis were as comfortable as any I've used. Soudnwise mine are 280ish in signature but heavier on the bottom end. If you can get a set to listen to it may be worthwhile checking them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back