I need a very comfortable, open, pair of headphones for around $150.
Jun 9, 2011 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bkchurch

Head-Fier
So after four years I'm ditching my Ultrasone Proline 750s. These days I find I'm spending longer periods of time with my headphones on, instead of using my speakers, and the 750s tend to get uncomfortable after 2 or 3 hours.

My budget is around $150. I've only two requirements. First of all they have to be as comfortable as possible. Comfortable as in I'd love it if I could sit up all hours of the night with them strapped to my head and never be bothered by their presence. Secondly I'd like it if they were open back to open up the soundstage and get rid of that "trapped in your head" headphone feeling. Other than that it's all about what the best audio quality for the $$$ I can get is.

Look forward to the responses and thank you all in advance. If there's more information I can give that will help me in my search just ask.

Edit: Just thought of this. I wear glasses so they not only have to be super comfy, but they have to be super comfy with my glasses on. That's one of the problems I've noticed with my 750s is they push my ears into my glasses and my glasses into my head causing all sorts of discomfort after a couple hours.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 10
AD700 I think are the most comfortable headphones on the planet.  Their fit is actually rather bad, but after a while you get used to it, and they really have a knack for 'disappearing' on your head.  The only downside, is their sub-bass is completely non-existent. 

It might be hard to come off a pair of ultrasones and migrate to such a bass-light can.  The next best bets I think are a DT880 pro or HD558/598.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 10
Wow reading up on the AD700 they sound like a dream come true. Especially that far under my budget. I can do with a little less bass, I've actually found the 750 a little too bass heavy at times. Honestly I get that Keith David has a deep voice but every game I play the man does a VO in it sounds like he has a subwoofer in his throat 
tongue_smile.gif
. Anyway I'll keep looking around but the AD700 looks like the front runner right now.

By the way, unless I'm shopping in the wrong places the DT880 Pro and the HD598 seem to be too far out of budget.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't think there are open Beyerdynamics in the price range unfortunately.  Many people like the ATH-AD700, but I'm not a fan of how the huge earpads press down (albeit very lightly) on the ears.  The headphone drivers rest on my ears, which I find to be uncomfortable after a while.

AKG K601 is $169 shipped on Buy.com now.  They don't have the K701/2 bumps on the headband, and they have a little more bass as well.

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 10
The Beyer's are out for certain. I can't find a pair that comes close to my budget. The AKG's are really really tempting. I have to sell off the 750 before I can buy my new cans, but if that sale is still going after I do then I may jump on it.

What are you folks' thoughts on Sennheiser's HD 595? From what I've read I'm lead to believe they're impossibly comfortable and sound pretty great.

Also I just realized it's not typically kosher to post a "Buying new headphones HELP" type thread around here. I apologize, thanks for being helpful nonetheless.

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 10
The AKG K601 is the most comfortable headphone that I have ever used. It sounds great too. The DT880 comes second but that is out of the price range of around $150 unless you are willing to go higher.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
DT990 Pro is $166 at B&H.

Wow that's a good deal. I'll remember to check back on that after I sell my 750s.

I forgot to mention something earlier that I realize could be prudent. I don't have much in the way of a headphone amp. My AV receiver for my speakers lack a headphone out and my primary headphone amp for home and on the go is a Fii0 E5. It does the job well enough but it's certainly not a high end amp. So one of the things I need to take into account in my purchase is going to have to be how good they sound being driven by a little portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back