I need a recommendation for an amp for HD650....
Mar 22, 2021 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I need an amp recommendation for Senn HD650. I also have HE4XX. I mainly use my LG v40 phone (quad dac) to listen to music and podcasts while I drive all day. So, I'd like an amp I can take with me, and I also want an at home only amp. I am looking at the Darkvoice 336se.

Also, I have Grado SR125. They sound great but the build quality is TERRIBLE. They completely fell apart. The cans still work but the pins that hold the cans in place are done for. And the cable broke. Anyone have any repair guide for these? I want to restore them with a better cable.

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 30
I would expect the HE4XX & SR125 like less voltage, but more current.
Tube (OTL) headphone amplifier (336se) are more about putting out a lot of voltage, but not much current.
So would would suggest getting a powerful solid state headphone amplifier.
Budget?

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 30
I would expect the HE4XX & SR125 like less voltage, but more current.
Tube (OTL) headphone amplifier (336se) are more about putting out a lot of voltage, but not much current.
So would would suggest getting a powerful solid state headphone amplifier.
Budget?
Ahhhh ok. Right now, can you recommend something for $200, $300, $400, and $500?

I was just looking at iFi Hip-dac Portable DAC Headphone Amp on Amazon. It's only $150. I want to get something good the first time around.

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 30
Ah. The HD650. My first love. I just listened to them last night with my Bottlehead Crack with a Bossa Nova playlist. Nothing beats the HD650 for this genre requiring intimate stage and lush mids for a romantic experience.

If you can swing about $750, I would go with Bottlehead Crack with speedball upgrade and Modi Multibit DAC.

My second choice would be a used Chord Mojo which you can get for about $300. The added benefit is that you can EQ it with Equalizer APO and get 2 or 3 great sound signatures out of it and the Mojo has more than sufficient power to drive them.

I bought a bunch of Christmas gifts that included HD6XX and BTR5. You do need to get a balanced cable which would add about $50 to the price of a BTR5 at $109. I got it because it added the flexibility of Bluetooth. Actually, the Lotoo PAW S1 at $169 has better sound and you need again need a 4.4mm balanced cable to sufficiently power it. I am getting a L&P W2 this weekend. That's a bit more pricey at $300, but it looks promising on paper. I am really interested in comparing the Chord Mojo to the L&P W2.

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 30
Audio-GD NFB-11.38
Topping DX7s
Schiit Magnius (with Schiit Modi DAC?)

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 30
Thanks for the recommendations fellas, please keep them coming

Mar 22, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 30
You should take a look at the iFi Zen Can Signature. It was was specifically tuned for the HD6XX which is basically the same as your HD650. Also I would stay away from an OTL tube amp as your first serious headphone amp. Most tube amps don't work well with planar headphones like your HE4XX. You should start with a good solid state headphones amp and later explore with tube amps as secondary amps. And you can tube roll if you want to go down that money pit as well.

Mar 23, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 30
So now my choices have narrowed to zen can signature (and zen can dac signature) and topping a90. If I get either, what cables will I need to buy? I'm running music from my phone (lgv40 with quad dac). I will get a standalone Walkman-like device in a few weeks.

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 30
I have the 6xx. I have two amps......the Drop 789 and Darkvoice 336 (with TungSol Tube)....love both! The Darkvoice is a bit polarizing and I can see why...it's not perfect. But with the right tube I prefer the 6xx on the Darkvoice. 'Sauces' pop and rock and dance music to my tastes. But, tube rolling is a rabbit hole and a tube amp may not support your other headphone choices down the road. But for the 6xx or 650 you might see if you can test run a quality tube amp or pre-amp?

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #12 of 30
I bought the Topping A90. Now I'm looking at the Topping D90 to make a stack. Is the D90 worth it with the APP? The APP comes in on Sunday.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #13 of 30
I have the 6xx. I have two amps......the Drop 789 and Darkvoice 336 (with TungSol Tube)....love both! The Darkvoice is a bit polarizing and I can see why...it's not perfect. But with the right tube I prefer the 6xx on the Darkvoice. 'Sauces' pop and rock and dance music to my tastes. But, tube rolling is a rabbit hole and a tube amp may not support your other headphone choices down the road. But for the 6xx or 650 you might see if you can test run a quality tube amp or pre-amp?
I'm thinking about the Darkvoice later and the cavalli tube hybrid now. I just purchased the a90 and looking to get the D90. Going to get the Arayas and tbe HD8xx too. End game cans will be the 1000se or tbe Abyss Diana Phi's. I definitely want a great amp/dac with them.

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 30
I have the 6xx's and I pair them with the Drop THX 789. I have zero issues with the sound, it has enough power and it's very clean. I originally had a Magni 3 and, yeah, I would not recommend that one; the THX 789 is audibly cleaner. I also have a pair of HD800 (non-s) and I run those off the balanced output of the 789; no complaints there either.

As an aside, I also own the SR125s. I don't enjoy them on any amp. I'm actually using them for piano practice (direct connect to the digital piano). Pretty good there! I haven't had build issues but again, I haven't used them as much. They were my first pair of headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #15 of 30
HE-4XX is an exception to the planar rule: planars are low-efficiency. They are so efficient, they probably don't even need an amp. Certainly, an OTL tube amp would be able to drive them decently - same for the Grados, which are also super-efficient. That means the lower impedance value is not as detrimental with an OTL tube amp as with other headphones. Yet, an OTL is often outstanding with your Sennheiser (which does need an amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back