I need a reccomendation on headphones
Mar 14, 2006 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jesse40902

100+ Head-Fier
This is my first time buying an Headphone. Im also a new user on this board and was reccomended by a friend to post here.

Basically have anybody heard of the Yamaha Silent cinema mode? Is it similar to the dobly headphone mode? It simulates 5.1 surround sounds through your headphones with the silent cinema mode. I just want to know if this mode as good as the dobly headphone.

Since Im gonna plug the headphones into my recever through the headphone jack, I want to know which headphone should i buy? Im just looking for some reccomendation.

Im heavy on gaming with the xbox360 ( love to hear sounds in the back creeping up on me with the 5.1 , will the simulated surround by the silent mode produce this with a good headphone). So basically anything that is for gaming but also decent for music, dvd, etc....

I was considering the grado125, but i heard its only for music and not for gaming or movies.....

Also some people said I should get a particular headphone if I dont have an amp? what does that mean? if by sub woofer...My regular 5.1 set already has a 5.1 woofer....but I dont know how I will hear the bass from that through headphones.....

I really dont have a budget, Im basically looking for quality and best bang for the buck type of deal.....i dont wanna pay more cash for minor improvements, but i dont mind paying a bit more for major improvements.....If you can , please list the headphones and their price/your comments about them thru gaming,movies, music...

Sorry for the long post, I hope this would help....

edit: also being comfortable is also important but not as important as quality/clarity of the sound

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 6
audio-technica a900's or a900ltd's if you manage to find a pair

one of the best gaming headphones out there, its a good all rounder they also cost about $200 from audiocubes not shipped i dont think... they are also pretty comfortable, and keep outside noises out if you turn the volume up a bit, you also dont need an amp for them...

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Sorry what does an amp do?

Also Im looking at the Sennheiser HD-555, does it fit my criteria? I can find it for 120 shipped...does it get any cheaper than that?

Also with silent mode....does these phones make simulated surround sounds good?

also are they around 14 feet? im really 10 feet away from tv, but need some extra feet so people dont trip over the wires....

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 6
Well i own a pair of HD485s and i use them for movies and my xbox 360 and they are sweet,they work really well for sound placement on games.Im actually going to get HD555s too but il probably be using them for music mostly but i heard they are great for gaming too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back