I need a new setup. Headphones, dac & amp. Need suggestions.
Aug 27, 2011 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lady Evil

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I need a new setup, usb-dac, tube-amp & headphones. Budget about 300-400$ for each part. Could possibly invest more if the increase of sound quality will be notable.

The sound I'm looking for is a warm, lush, dark sound.. Emphasis on lows & mids. Lows need to be heavy, fast, tight & controlled. Mids need to be silky smooth. And highs must be mellow and rolled off.

Any suggestions?

I will be purchasing these things off of e-bay, so the amp should be chinese as that will make acquiring it much easier.. I live in a country where it can be difficult to get ahold of things like these.

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 9
Sennheiser HD 650
Cayin HA-1A Tube amplifier
Best DAC that you can get for around $300 or $400 as stated. Plenty to choose from.
Eg, Little Dot II DAC for $289

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 9
Why Ebay? Why not Amazon?

Also, amps and DAC's are best bought from the makers.

And are you sure about Bass? I would like to know your choices of Genres

Anyways:

Pro900's
Schiit Valhalla
Schiit Bitfost (USB is extra btw, but worth it)

That meets your budget.

A cheaper one would be:

Denon D2000
FiiO E7+E9 combo

Aug 27, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking into them.

Quote:
Why Ebay? Why not Amazon?

Also, amps and DAC's are best bought from the makers.

And are you sure about Bass? I would like to know your choices of Genres

I've had some issues with Amazon in the past, so I try to avoid them.

My choice of genres are primarily doom metal, classic heavy metal, & progressive metal. I also listen to electric blues rock, hardrock and instrumental music of all kinds where the electric guitar is the main focus.

Quote:
Sennheiser HD 650

I actually already own these, and I'm pretty satisfied with them. Especially the mids, so smooth, rich and seductive. Bass is a little lacking in impact and texture though. Overall I don't really find anything wrong with them, nor do I find anything unique or exceptional about them. So I'm looking to try a different pair of headphones, and find ones that suit me just right. I realize I'll have to go through a few before that happens. :p

Aug 27, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:

Quote:

My choice of genres are primarily doom metal, classic heavy metal, & progressive metal. I also listen to electric blues rock, hardrock and instrumental music of all kinds where the electric guitar is the main focus.

Quote:

I actually already own these, and I'm pretty satisfied with them. Especially the mids, so smooth, rich and seductive. Bass is a little lacking in impact and texture though. Overall I don't really find anything wrong with them, nor do I find anything unique or exceptional about them. So I'm looking to try a different pair of headphones, and find ones that suit me just right. I realize I'll have to go through a few before that happens. :p

Maybe an Alessandro MS-2 / MS-Pro or an actual rough and nasty Grado 325i is in order for an audition then?

I suggested the HD 650 after you mentioned 'lush and laid back' - but I know what you mean with the HD 650's, they can be a little underwhelming
when you just want to rock out! Yet to try them again on a really mint setup.

Aug 27, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You probably had problems with the companies that Amazon sometimes uses. I've had no problem out of the 300+ orders from Amazon by themselves. I also live close to their shipping area so 7 day shipping comes to me in the next day.
biggrin.gif

Don't bang Amazon for something so small, it's like saying "I don't like Sony Headphones because a TV I bought from them didn't work".

Pro900's would give you the best bass without distorting sound.
Schiit amps are powerful while being clear and very nice sounding.

The HD650 are treble high and mids headphones with a little lower lows then some would like. Some choose HD600 for that reason. But the HD650 try to stay neutral at all times. Opposite of them would be a bass heavy can like a Denon or Ultrasone.

But a HD598 wouldn't be bad either. Hmm...

Your genres turn me to T50RP's actually. They are the best headphones for Metal, and acoustics oddly. But they need to be massively modded to sound great. Look into if you're in the mood of modding. Btw: no recable or hardware changing. Most T50RP mods are with some putty, a screwdriver and some denon earpads. Look around the Thunderpants thread for ideas

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 9
If I didn't read it wrong, a combo with a decent DAC (no need to go totally overboard), a Yamamoto HA-02, with a Audio Technica W1000X might work magic. Might be tight to get a Yamamoto with $400 but could use some left over from the DAC expense to match it up.

The W1000X is very warm and lush, and unlike the older W1000, it have quite a lot of bass too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back