I need a bit of help picking a monitor
Nov 26, 2017 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dobrescu George

Reviewer: AudiophileHeaven
Hey everyone!

I am here because I need some help.

I was eyeing to purchase a Dell P4317Q or a 43" LG that uses the same display (made by LG).

I'm currently running a Dell 2515H monitor, which is quite a popular monitor. I like its size, resolution, color reproduction and brightness.

I bought the Philips version of 43", which is named BDM4350, which I am returning after 15 minutes of usage due to extremely poor brightness, faded colors and just poor image in general.

I have a question:

Besides the pixel density, which will be lower on P4317Q, how is the brightness and the color reproduction, when compared to Dell 2515H? Is it at least as good as 2515H?

What other monitor should I be looking at?

I don't game, so no need for high refresh rates, G-Sync or anything like that, but I need extreme brightness (An entire wall of my room is basically a window, so I need at least 350 - 400 dm/m2 to use a monitor comfortably during the day). I require 4K resolution along with a size larger than 25", preferably 32", and most importantly, high color space coverage. No need for absolutely 100% adobeRGB color space coverage, but I need the colors to look as vibrant as possible, with the color space going as much above sRGB as possible., My budget is around 1k$ - 1,2k$, with a little flexibility.

I mainly use my monitor for video and anime consumption along with programming and working with professional image editing.

I noticed that border issue with the Philips as well actually, seems that all large monitors have that border issue unless you underscan, and to contribute to this thread, I absolutely advice against Philips BDM4350 as it is dim, colors look bad, and it has a dimming of the brightness towards the corners, loking quite low quality.

Any help is appreciated, and looking forward to everyone's input!

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 8
If you have access to Costco, go buy a TV.

I currently use a 58" Vizo, with my PC.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 8
If you have access to Costco, go buy a TV.

I currently use a 58" Vizo, with my PC.

Thank you for your answer.

For now I'm waiting on a Dell 4317Q since it was the most probable to work.

A 58" might already be too big for my rather conservative desk, and I was hoping to find a 32" , but the only three I can get are one Acer that is quite expensive, one Samsung that has very low brightness, and one AOC that has even lower brightness.

Since an entire wall of my room is pure glass, I need more brightness than most folks, but my 2515H did right by me so far.

Since you're using a TV, I have a few questions. How is the input lag? How is the ghosting? How is image retention? How is everything else on it?

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 8
Thank you for your answer.
For now I'm waiting on a Dell 4317Q since it was the most probable to work.
A 58" might already be too big for my rather conservative desk, and I was hoping to find a 32" , but the only three I can get are one Acer that is quite expensive, one Samsung that has very low brightness, and one AOC that has even lower brightness.
Since an entire wall of my room is pure glass, I need more brightness than most folks, but my 2515H did right by me so far.
Since you're using a TV, I have a few questions. How is the input lag? How is the ghosting? How is image retention? How is everything else on it?

I can sit about 7 feet from the 58" screen and can still read words (using 53 year old eyes)
Even with a big window to the side, the screen still looks good to me.
Not sure how to rate input lag.

Here is a 32" monitor ($500, shipped from South Korea) that uses the LG AH-IPS panel, which is the same panel that Apple has used in it's $1000 27" monitor.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Cr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I've ordered three monitors (27") from South Korea, so for no regrets.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 8
In the end I got a DELL P4317Q Monitor. If you're considering it, please read:

Okay.

I received this one right now - Dell P4317Q

I'm on Revision A02.

Let's begin with the Pros

Pros:

+ Nice AG coating, not too hard, nor too light, it is perfect to make it clear and vivid, yet to block ambient light. Really really good quality as well, no patterns, no muddiness, this is ideal.

+ Really good build quality

+ Amazing brightness! I keep it on 100% and it looks amazing! It has enough to work in a room where an entire wall is made of glass

+ Color calibration was easy peasy, in fact you can reach an almost perfect calibration playing with its R-G-B settings from the menu

+ Gamma curves are not spot at 2.2, but very very close on this sample

+ Way less IPS glow than most displays on market

+ Response time good enough for casual gaming. I am not a gamer, but I like a quick display. This is quick enough for me. It can climb to 80 Hz (I read its EDID), but I will not overclock it.

+ Colors look profesinally adequate, bright, vibrant, impressive (nothing like BDM4350 which was dim and washed out, although it was using a similar display?!)

+ You can enjoy immersive content on this

+ Freaking 4K with no need for scaling! You have no idea how refreshing this is for me and for my eyes!

+ Really nice and clear image

+ Got used to it and using it naturally after merely 1 hour of owning it, just like any other DELL, an excellent device that just works

+ Everything works on the USB ports and the Displayports, everything is just plug and play.

+ No weird artifacts, no flickering, no issues with the image in this aspect

Now the cons:

Cons:

- Minor screen burn in, but it is temporary. Just don't keep very contrasting elements for long, for example black and white patterns. Grays don't burn in. It washes after watching some videos.

- Color variation over a large surface - this might be the glow or relfection for me, but I seem to notice that the center is ever a bit less pinkish on blue hues. Again, I think it is a glow effect due to its size, but it should be noted this exists.

- The alien ghosting test shows a very very minimal ghosting trail, but only on gray color, not one bit on black or white. Excellent response, on par with most gaming displays , yet as tech advances, that will probably be changed as well

- Mine has a little point that I can't figure out if it is dust on the display or a problematic pixel . No idea.

- Blurry edges that are shadowed by the physical edges. Underscan does not work (of course it doesn't, who would ever believe it does). Underscan changes the whole resolution making everything extremely blurry, so you either get used to the shadow edges or not get this one . I can't even notice that anymore, but YMMV.

Bottom:

This is an underconsidered monitor. It can easily be calibrated, it can easily be made to look and work awesome. The best 43" I tested, by far. This makes BDM4350 look and feel like a Joke. This is Dell construction and quality here, no joking, no tricks. If you want to go 43", it is either this or nothing. The brightness is the most important element, a screen this size needs a LOT of brightness to feel natural and to feel good. This has it. Please make a conscious purchase.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 8
my monitor just keep flickering all the time, I don't know why?
Always swap the cable first. Then try the monitor on a different PC to see if the problem follows the monitor or stays with the other PC. HDMI cables/jacks have no bracing,
can bend, make poor contact over time. Switching to a DVI cable may solve an HDMI jack problem if PC and monitor support DVI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back