I need a 24" TV!!
May 23, 2005 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know where to start because this is not audio gear, lol. I was thinking about a phillips true flat 24". My roomates last year was nice. I also like the looks of the samsung dynaflat tv even though it's a 27". Help me! What brands? Where to buy? Features I should look for? Thanks.

May 23, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Whats your budget? Do you want HDTV? Is it a cheap standby or something you want to keep for the next 7-10 years?

May 23, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 12
$200-$300. I don't need that many features. I just want something flat with a very nice picture and is reliable. I would like to keep this for about 5-10 years if possible.

May 23, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 12
You might as well get an HDTV. Something like this is in your price range but I dont know about its reliability.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051826205151

If you want something that will last 5-10 years I suggest you raise your budget. Maybe $500. You can get a Samsung HDTV for $430 at BestBuy right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1091101106432

You should also check out AVSforum.com. They know their video stuff like we know our audio stuff and sometimes they recommend sleeper products that are great.

hope that helped.

May 23, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
You might as well get an HDTV. Something like this is in your price range but I dont know about its reliability.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051826205151

If you want something that will last 5-10 years I suggest you raise your budget. Maybe $500. You can get a Samsung HDTV for $430 at BestBuy right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1091101106432

You should also check out AVSforum.com. They know their video stuff like we know our audio stuff and sometimes they recommend sleeper products that are great.

hope that helped.

I would raise my budget if I could. I kind of need a tv at the moment and I'm waiting on my next paycheck. I also have other expenses. I've seen plenty cheap tv's last 5+ years if treated with care. But thanks for the links and info. II'll check out avs forums.

May 23, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 12
BTW, I don't need HDTV. This is just for my dorm room. I won't graduate for another three years and I'm not a big tv watcher anyway. I just want something with a nice picture and that is reliable. I'll be window shopping this whole week.

May 23, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 12
Toshiba used to make a really nice 24" for not too much money, to boot. The Sony is nice but overpriced for a 24.

It is really tough to purchase a TV right now at a "modest" cost, due to HDTV. Remember that within you desired 5-10 year lifespan the FCC has ruled that analog TV broadcasts will all end, leaving you in all-HDTV format by (supposedly) 2009. With a square tube set, projecting widescreen HDTV broadcasts, you will see a mighty small iimage. Not too mention the adapter box necessary later and without DVI you won't get digital connections (OK, they still should use analog composite or component). So at least make sure it is a "monitor" with auxillary inputs or you'll be left high and dry after the switch.

1 component input would be really nice - either DVD or STB input. 2 is better but almost impossible to find in that size, therefore hopefully get a set with at least 2 aux inputs, mixed connections if necessary so that your DVD player can still be hooked up when you get the STB in the near future (if you want your STB to give best quality input to the TV).

May 23, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 12
Panasonic Tau black screen, 24" should be under $300 bucks from Sears.

May 23, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 12
If you wanna buy a TV now, just find the cheapest thing you can find that still looks decent - seriously.

For the first time in 20 years, mainstream TVs are actually going to change - very soon. Spending alot of money on a TV now isn't a good idea IMO because the TV market is going to change very rapidly in the next few years. Widescreen plasmas are already 1/10 their introduction prices and look better, and that's just the beginning. Plasma & LCD prices will continue to plummet and there are several competitive technologies that are just on the horizon.

So unless you're willing to drop >$1500 on a widescreen plasma with support for all HD formats (ie: the only thing out that will still be relevant just a few short years from now IMO) - just drop $150 on a cheapie.

That's my two cents at least - I'm sticking with my 25" pos RCA and riding out this period of change before my next TV investment.

-dd3mon

May 23, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
I kind of need a tv at the moment and I'm waiting on my next paycheck.

Check all the apartment complexes close to the end of the month. My neighbour bought a 32" Toshiba for $80 because someone was moving out. Look in your local Sunday newspaper. Put up BTW posters up at your local apartment complex.

May 23, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I am going to wait until this weekend(memorial day sales) and I'll get a $150 tv to suit my needs for the next three or fours years. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 12
I would suggest one of the latest Toshiba offerings. I got this Toshiba TV from Best Buy. It offers the next best picutre to a Sony Trinitron (IMO) at a much more modest price. The picture isn't as sharp, but the colors are just as good.

I too will be riding out the latest wave of LCD, Plasma. LCoS and DLP upgrades until the TV's settle down in quality and price improvements. I think in a few years it will be possible to get a very high quality flat panel TV or projector for under 1000. I want to wait until I can afford a good quality LARGE TV, so I can enjoy movies and possibly use a single screen for games, movies, internet and standard TV and not compromise in quality for any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back