I miss my sub, or, I need some good gaming cans! Please help!
Mar 25, 2015 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

audiomage

New Head-Fier
Long story short, I recently had to put my home theater setup in storage and I'm limited to using headphones for a while. They will be primarily used for gaming (PC+PS4), and some occasional movie watching.

On a whim, from a few recommendations on here, I went out and bought the Sennheiser HD 558s.. to be honest, they are decent, but I'm looking for something that sounds a bit better. At higher volume levels the bass reproduction is kinda messy. (I'm using an Onkyo TX-NR818 receiver for the headphones.) 

The cans will be used at home, so I don't care if they are open or closed, I just want something that sounds pretty damn awesome, I'm used to my 5.1 setup and while I don't think headphones will reproduce that, I'd love to get as close as possible

I'm aiming for maybe a $300 budget if the headphones are really good, I'm also hoping I won't need an amp to drive them, should the receiver be enough for that?

Thanks guys, looking forward to your feedback and I can't wait to start enjoying my sound again.

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 3
  Long story short, I recently had to put my home theater setup in storage and I'm limited to using headphones for a while. They will be primarily used for gaming (PC+PS4), and some occasional movie watching.
On a whim, from a few recommendations on here, I went out and bought the Sennheiser HD 558s.. to be honest, they are decent, but I'm looking for something that sounds a bit better. At higher volume levels the bass reproduction is kinda messy. (I'm using an Onkyo TX-NR818 receiver for the headphones.) 
The cans will be used at home, so I don't care if they are open or closed, I just want something that sounds pretty damn awesome, I'm used to my 5.1 setup and while I don't think headphones will reproduce that, I'd love to get as close as possible
I'm aiming for maybe a $300 budget if the headphones are really good, I'm also hoping I won't need an amp to drive them, should the receiver be enough for that?
Thanks guys, looking forward to your feedback and I can't wait to start enjoying my sound again.

Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm and DT990 Pro 250-Ohm should work fine plugged into the receiver.
To me the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm offers a more controlled bass, over the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm
DT880 Premium 600-Ohm is a little better then the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm

AKG K7XX ($210 used) might work well plugged into the Onkyo.

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 3
the headphones mentioned above might need an amp to get the sound you want, if you want a good set without an amp I would suggest the Sennheiser HD 598 or if you want a mic too the Sennheiser 363d would be a good set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back