I made a big mistake...HD595. NEVER try them.
Jun 9, 2008 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Today i made a very big mistake which will cost me lot of $$$.

I had actually gone to HP service center to collect my laptop but meanwhile in the waiting time i went to Sennheiser Showroom to checkout the real deal ...i stepped in.. picked up the HD595 plugged into the Amps and put them on directly WITHOUT even looking at other models.

Now..being a user of HD205..and listening to HD595....for first 10 seconds i wasnt thinking anything...the Sound paused my brain for 10 seconds..i couldnt even feel that i was wearing headphones..

First impression: They are ******* Comfortable..u feel as if u r in a room cause they dont even touch your ears at all.

Second: You can actually differentiate between the Lower-Mids & Upper mids without focussing...ever detail of the Song is CLEARLY distinguished from each other. The Vocals, the Guitar loops, the Piano, the Sound effects, the Bass.. and THIS IS WHAT i love ..for me being able to hear every detail away from each other is definition of True headphones.

The Details are so apparent that you dont have to try hard to feel them...for example in HD485...u have to Try Hard to hear each detail...but here u just relax yourself and it all comes to you naturally.

The track playing was Umbrella - Rihanna (yuck..i hate it)...but guess what?
I could hear the Guitar strum..and then i looked to the right..coz they produce the Soundstage damn well.

the Vocals were no Doubt great but the Ambience around the music was equally loud so the Vocals were not coming out very distinctively... this is the Linear property i guess? which i am not used to.

Well and now i picked up HD555 and didnt enjoy them now. And here is the MISTAKE i made.

I was planning to buy them this weekend but now i dont feel i will enjoy them ever after listening to HD595.
HD555 were clearly telling me what they lacked very apparently.

The Mids were recessed in HD555 and the Soundstage was not even close to HD595 ...

there was some mild resonance in HD555..not sure if u can call it Resonance but the Sound was muffled. the Guitar strums in the main stanze "You can be under my umbrella" lacked the Punch & the Strum loops werent as Sharp as in HD595.

I didnt enjoy HD555....not because they mite be bad but coz i tried HD595 first.

Another disadvantage of HD555? They have full sized Adapter..which means u have to Plug in the extra 3.5mm jack. and ya...

When you wear HD555 u ARE aware of them being around your head.

Now now now..

I am counting days before i get HD595 finally.

Can u recommend good Sources for HD595? What Amps go well with them?

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 41
That's just your first mistake. Look how many mistakes I have made...
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 41
Now tell me what do i do with my HD205's?

They Sound Mono.

EDIT: Okay, i am listening to $5 Made-in-China headphones for one hour.... After this the HD205 should feel Good then.

Just counting Days before i feel Sorry about my Wallet.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 41
^Absolutely...the Sennheiser Showroom people keep the Headphones running all day throughout the year.

So if they were installed there in Jan 2008..they should have completed the Burn-in.

Maybe they were overused?

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 41
OP, this is a dangerous place. Seriously.

I dont think I have ever loved another toy as much as i love my HD555. When i received the HD650 two weeks ago i did some A/B tests and there were no contest, the HD555 sounded better. It was hard to believe how awful the HD650 sounded. I thought it was amplification but then remember the htreads and my own experience with the HD555 when they were new: Burn in process was a fact then.

I let them run and now they should have about 250hours and lthe HD555 arte not getting much attention. Last night i connected them to my headstage lyrix, put it on low gain and used the bassboost option and it was hard to keep them on. The highs, specially the cymbals sounded so congested it was really shocking. The lows lacked the punch and definition of the hd650. The vocals had a terrible sibilance and the soundstage was tiny, not to mention that both the guitar strings and pianos sounded so fake I could not believe it.

I have the HD650 for sale, but now i just cant think of my listening to what i heard the hd555 reproducing last night, and i am not sure if i should sell them. I think my option should be to save some more and then try the SE530 or the trriple fis, because i just cant stay with the hd555. I think this has happened to most fellow headfiers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Okay, i am listening to $5 Made-in-China headphones for one hour.... After this the HD205 should feel Good then.

I have one of those in the office. They should be good for that purpose of yours.

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 41
595 sounds much better than the 555s.

But, if you have an amp, the hd600/hd650 sounds much better than the 595s imo.

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's just your first mistake. Look how many mistakes I have made...
tongue.gif

Same here. Unfortunately, many times we learn the hard way, instead of learning lessons from others prior to us ...

I guess it is part of this expensive hobby of ours
wink.gif

Will

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 41
alitomr, why did you sell the hd650? I thought you liked the 555s then the hd650 upped it in realism and clarity in the end.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alitomr, why did you sell the hd650? I thought you liked the 555s then the hd650 upped it in realism and clarity in the end.

I havent sold them. They ar for sale but im doubting selling them. I put them for sale because I feel i need something else. My ONLY complain is their laid back presentation. I would like to hear more upfront vocals. Other than that, they are just too close to perfection. The problem is that this "little" detail seems to be very important to me.

I really want to try the top tier IEMs too because of their great sound and their portability, and that is another reason why im thinking about selling the HD650, right now i cant afford to keep two $300+ cans as i had thought a few weeks ago.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #13 of 41
I have this same problem now I have the SE530's. Going back to the HD555's or other phones is near pointless. I actually also tested the Bose Quiet Comfort 2's and they too sounded imo a lot better than the HD555's. Cleaner more lively sound, more detailing and more umph in the bass (a touch overwhelming). Which surprised me, since many people moan about Bose lacking in SQ. Main thing I enjoyed about the Bose were that they are so small, light and comfortable. And the closed can + noise isolation of them is a definite bonus.

I'm thinking of keeping them, as they'd only cost me around £100 at trade prices and with further discount (I have a friend who sells them). He said he could do me the deal as a one off.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havent sold them. They ar for sale but im doubting selling them. I put them for sale because I feel i need something else. My ONLY complain is their laid back presentation. I would like to hear more upfront vocals. Other than that, they are just too close to perfection. The problem is that this "little" detail seems to be very important to me.

I really want to try the top tier IEMs too because of their great sound and their portability, and that is another reason why im thinking about selling the HD650, right now i cant afford to keep two $300+ cans as i had thought a few weeks ago.

ok that makes sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back