I love my Turbine Golds but it's time to move on... Suggestions?
May 20, 2012 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

A Ham Sandwich

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my Turbine Golds for a few years and I love them to death, but enough is enough!  No matter what tips I use, they always fall out of my ears.  My much-inferior Denon IEMs get a lot more use for this reason alone.  The only tips where this isn't an issue are Complies, but those can get costly and they tend to muffle the treble a bit.  Plus I don't like the process of having to roll the tips in my fingers to insert them.  I just want to shove them in my ears and go.
The trouble is I LOVE the sound signature!  It's warm, smooth, heavy-yet-articulate bass, and non-fatiguing.  To my ears, it's great.  The bass makes me smile.  This is the only reason I haven't sold them sooner but in the end, an IEM that you can only enjoy while sitting down and stationary isn't very enjoyable or reasonable.

So now I'm about ready to unload them and try to find something that work for my ears sonically and physically.  I've looked into the Atrio MG7, Sennheiser IE8/IE80, Triple.Fi 10, and Sony MDR-EX1000 before and they sound like they'd be good options but I have no way to audition any of them prior to purchase. 

I like the sound of a high performance dynamic IEM so that's mostly but I'm looking for, but I'm also completely open to new suggestions and won't rule out a BA if it can give proper bass and cohesion. 

I listen to about 90% electronic music consisting of mostly electronica, psybient, house, electro, electro-house, and trance.  The other 10% consists of hip-hop, classic rock, psychedelic rock, '90s grunge/alternative, and indie.  Source for these would be a 6G iPod nano or my Samsung Galaxy S.  Budget can't be more than maybe $315ish, but depends on how much I get for my Monsters when I sell them.

May 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 22
^Those are great, but are not ideal to his music tastes and the OP doesn't look like he amps.  Save some coin and discover if you like the Atrio mg7.  Search for the Atrio mg7 thread for a discount code to get it for under a Benjamin.  Out of your list, I can't vouch for the Sony's, but the Atrio would be closer sounding to the MTPG, and the included flange tips will violate your canals like the Etys, but stay in.

May 20, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 22
if you enjoyed the bass on the monsters, the etymotic's will be far too bass-restrained for you. i dont even use mine due to this. they will, however, stay in your ears better due to the deep tips.

i'm in your shoes on the fit: most iem tips fall right out.  i'd suggest looking for UE triplefi 10s with comply tips.  you can sometimes find them on sale or here on the forum for around $120.

May 20, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 22
I to listen to mainly just electronic music and the IEM's that I have that sound the best for edm are the MG7, Rockit Sounds R-50, TF10 and EPH-100, you might also like the FXT90 its just not a sound signature I'm into.  The Creative Aurvana IE3, W2, e-Q7 and SE425 aren't bad either I just think the others preform better.

Of those the R-50 and MG7 are the best at least in imo.  The R-50 is a warmer sounding BA with excellent detail, good bass and a very nice soundstage, you can read my review in the Rockit Sounds thread or in the Head Gear section.  The MG7 has the best bass of any IEM I've heard and it goes insanely deep but they also have good mids and highs with a monitor style sound signature.  The only thing that could be better is the soundstage but its average and with a good amp it gives them a good bit width and depth.  Both IEM's sound better with an amp but they're still very good without.

May 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 22
I'm leaning toward the Atrio M5 as of right now.
Any other insights, y'all?

May 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 22
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604094/the-ath-cks77-big-roomy-detailed-balanced-n-i-am-not-just-talking-about-the-bass

I listen to mostly progressive/electro house, trance with these. Maybe worth considering. 

May 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 22
For the price of the FX101 it can't hurt to try...

Otherwise you might want to try the FXT90 or the VSonic GR07

May 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
I'm leaning toward the Atrio M5 as of right now.
Any other insights, y'all?

I also went through the mtpgs for about a year and a half, I settled on the FX700 for a clear upgrade to the golds, and haven't looked back for one second. This is even considering I have both ex1000's and ie80's. coming from the golds, the ex1000's will definitely not satisfy your bass quantity.

May 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 22
@davidcotton

Thought about that as well.  What does it cost to get an audiologist to take an impression?  I was trying to sell my Turbines to fund the purchase of another IEM, since I just bought a pair of full-size cans.

May 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 22
It varies greatly from location.  We're talking about $25-$250 for both ears.  Or you can get a kit and do it yourself for $20, it's quite easy.  Sometimes nearby schools/colleges will do it for free to be the guinea pig for their students.

May 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 22
Thanks for the info.  I remember seeing a company that offered custom tips for the Turbines but I can't for the life of me remember where.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back