I LOVE my AKG 240M!!!!!!!
Mar 19, 2006 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

eiii

New Head-Fier
there- i said it.

i'm a new member but have been lurking a long time.

i am simply amazed at how polarized people are when it comes to the 240M's. with all the bashing i feel it is my duty to give these cans the love they deserve.

i've had mine for 10 years. when i first listened it was like my 1st beer/ 1st scotch/ 1st glass of dark red wine. they sucked! no pop, no sparkle. i kept listening.

and i liked what i heard. warmth, clarity, detail. so smooth top to bottom. after a listening session i felt refreshed, not pummeled.

yes, they are a bit quarky and need some power to drive. after so many years when i try other cans they tend to sound cold and artificial, trying too hard to make a good first impression.

yes, the 240m's are delicious. nay sayers retreat. give them some time and you too will revel in their sweetness. their longevity speaks volumes. for those on the fence, enjoy without remorse.

best regards,
eiii

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 23
I couldn't agree more...

I've had mine since I was a college student...better than 20 years now. I still use them with my computer rig and an M-Audio Audiophile USB, and they still sound great IMHO. They do need significant power to drive really well...that said, I drove them for years out of an NAD headphone out and they sounded better than anything else I'd heard.

The thing I like best about them is that they get the midrange dead on right. They are a tiny bit rolled off on the top and bottom...but that's OK by me. If you screw up the midrange, you screw up beyond repair. Also, though they do a super job with detail, they are probably the least fatiguing cans I own. That's quite a neat trick for cans that have been around for 25+ years.

I still use them a lot, and they are like an old pair of jeans in that respect. Comfortable old friends that, though I've found other things to wear when I want to step out, I've not been able to part with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
They are now discontinued btw. They're good cans for their price, that's for sure.

didn't know that. i will have to treat mine carefully and make them last.

elrod,

nice comments- i agree, the midrange is spectacular. i've heard great things about the 501 midrange- i wonder how they compare.

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 23
i've had mine for about 15 years. i may have to give them another chance as i haven't been using them much.

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 23
I think its the K240S that gets more mockery than M or DF. And that is quite true, S is too mid-bass bloomy headphone considering the price what it costs. M is for monitoring and analysing and it works well for that purpose.

After either removing the soft padding or cutting a hole size of the driver to it, it becomes really fantastic headphone.
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 23
i had to remove the cloth over the drivers due to some disintigration of the material. i cleaned out the drivers and put on beck "sea change" through my meta42. nice. the sound reminds me of my tannoy speakers: you don't go "wow!" when you hear them, but over time their neutrality and warmth win you over. i'm considering trying a recable too.

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by eiii
there- i said it.

i'm a new member but have been lurking a long time.

i am simply amazed at how polarized people are when it comes to the 240M's. with all the bashing i feel it is my duty to give these cans the love they deserve.

i've had mine for 10 years. when i first listened it was like my 1st beer/ 1st scotch/ 1st glass of dark red wine. they sucked! no pop, no sparkle. i kept listening.

and i liked what i heard. warmth, clarity, detail. so smooth top to bottom. after a listening session i felt refreshed, not pummeled.

yes, they are a bit quarky and need some power to drive. after so many years when i try other cans they tend to sound cold and artificial, trying too hard to make a good first impression.

yes, the 240m's are delicious. nay sayers retreat. give them some time and you too will revel in their sweetness. their longevity speaks volumes. for those on the fence, enjoy without remorse.

best regards,
eiii

Personnally, I love my 4-600 Ohm K240's(not K240 M, not K240 S, not K240 DF, just K240)even unamped!
eek.gif
They are such great 'phones!! I got mine from my uncle FREE to go with a gift he gave me(never used the gift, but the 'phones rock!) I want to buy a pair of K240 M's off ebay soon. By the way, does anyone have an opinion on the K271 S?

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 23
Indeed......I found K240M addicting as well. Though the bass/extreme trable is lacking, they still rank among the most natural sounding cans with very coherent midrange. Most cans sound recessed in the mid compared to them (to my ears,.. neither K701 nor HD650 quite have the midranage immediacy of K240M, unless the volume knob is turned way up). I never knew they are now discontinued,... time to hunt down another pair.

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

I know, I'm thinking about that deal to buy three of them.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Maybe I'd like them better than the K240S (bass bleed into midrange on those). I'm tempted to choose between these or the K81DJ... or maybe save up for K701. So many nice AKG choices
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm trying to make the same decision... get new K240 M's or maybe the K81DJ or maybe even the K701.

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 23
Maybe I'd like them better than the K240S (bass bleed into midrange on those). I'm tempted to choose between these or the K81DJ... or maybe save up for K701. So many nice AKG choices
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 23
They should still be available in Finland for 98 €. TBH, having heard them a couple of times, I have always been tempted to buy a pair.

Regards,

L.

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 23
The one thing concerning me is that these are designed to be monitor headphones, and may not have enough qualities conducive to musical pleasure... I was bit by the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro on this issue (hated those with a passion, neutral but un-musical). Any feedback on that aspect? In particular, comparisons to relatively neutral higher-end cans would be welcome.

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
The one thing concerning me is that these are designed to be monitor headphones, and may not have enough qualities conducive to musical pleasure... I was bit by the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro on this issue (hated those with a passion, neutral but un-musical). Any feedback on that aspect?

I do not like the HD280s, either. In a way neutral, yes, but essentially dead sounding. Isolation is good, though. I have been wondering if the K271 were a better choice.

Regards,

L.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back