I love Garage sales
Sep 16, 2002 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
The great thing about living in Chicago is that the city requires permits for garage sales.There is only one weekend a year when permits are not a must.This is that weekend.I went to over 50 garage sales today and yesterday and I am beat.I bought a lot of stuff and I'm loving it.I found a lot of great records and audio gear.I only bought a small portion of what I saw to avoid duplication and accumulating a big pile of junk.I passed on thousands of great records and many nice pieces of audio gear.Here are somePICS of my finds.In addition to the records and gear I found a great deep-freezer for the shop,a few nice cameras,a very nice telescope and a Bolex 16mm movie camera with many extras in almost new condition.I spent a little less than $200 on everything.I had to sift through a lot of junk but the rewards are worth it.I would strongly encourage you all to frequent garage sales and place as many free ads as possible to find used music and gear.This is what has made my audio and music hobbies self-supporting.

Sep 16, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 8
Just keep rubbing it in. Garage sales here seem to be non-existent, when i do see one, its always female crap up for sale.

frown.gif
mad.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 8
Sounds like fun!

When I lived in Chicago (wrightwood & clark) for 10yrs no one owned a car so surburban garage sales were out. The positive was I could walk to 5-6 nice used record stores along clark & broadway and get some cool stuff, nothing like the bargains at garage sales of course.

Sep 17, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 8
My father in law lives for garage sales. It is really amazing the stuff he can find.. just great deals. Most of it, of course, just ends up at his garage sale; however, he has fun on the hunt nonetheless.

I don't think I could ever hold one. People trying to barter me down from 50 cents to a quarter.

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores are great but it really depends on where you live if they are easy to find.

I knew a guy who furnished his entire house with second hand goods at rock bottom prices. Even his clothes and shoes are used. He even buys his food from discount supermarkets. His stereo system is from thrift store stuff from the 1980s and it’s actually not bad.

If you’re not picky and have lower expectations, you can actually save crazy amounts of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back