I lost my M50s...
Mar 1, 2014 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

JJJMan75

Head-Fier
So I was in the process of moving basically halfway across the U.S., and I lost my all-time favorite headphones, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (Looked through all the boxes, those headphones are goners). As it is not currently in my budget to just buy another pair, are there any headphones with a similar sound signature?

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 19
So it sounds like the best option is to get a cheaper headphone from the M-series. Also, headphones may sound more or less balanced depending on the kind of music one listens to. I always listen to dubstep, if that changes anything.

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 19
Have you heard of the "creative aurvana live!"? (not series 2,series 1)

my only concern would be durability,if your going to be carrying these around.
someone else might be able to comment on that.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 19
I think you can still get the UE6000 for about $100 at Best Buy. Possibly less.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 19
I would go for the koss prodj100 with either the athm50 pads or the Auray Deluxe Velour pads.
The aurays will give a more warm and bassy sound which is probably what you're looking for

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #13 of 19
  So I was in the process of moving basically halfway across the U.S., and I lost my all-time favorite headphones, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (Looked through all the boxes, those headphones are goners). As it is not currently in my budget to just buy another pair, are there any headphones with a similar sound signature?

I'd imagine the ATH-M30's would be a mini version of them.

Sorry to hear about your loss, JJMan75. I own a pair of both the M50 and M30 and they are great headphones. I prefer the sound signature of the 50's, but you will be hard pressed to find a better sounding or built pair of cans for the price than the M30's. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-m30-professional-headphones

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 19
The M30s definitely sound like something up my alley and I really appreciate you guys getting back to me. That said, I do have another plan: Wait it out with my Sennheiser HD 419s and save up for some cans that will put the M50s to shame! Thoughts on this?

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 19
The M30s definitely sound like something up my alley and I really appreciate you guys getting back to me. That said, I do have another plan: Wait it out with my Sennheiser HD 419s and save up for some cans that will put the M50s to shame! Thoughts on this?

That's also a great idea! However, you'd probably want a headphone that doesn't necessarily need an amp and is closed and isolating. I heartily recommend the SoundMAGIC HP100.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back