I liked John Coltrane...what next?
Mar 1, 2006 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Unearthed

100+ Head-Fier
So somewhere in another thread a member recommended John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" to somebody else. So I grabbed it and the woman and I are really digging it. Now she usually listens to country and I am usually all over the rock and roll spectrum, so this was pretty cool to listen to for us. She really loves the sax as well.

Can anyone recommend us some similar sax jazz we could easily pick up?

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 16
You might consider exploring more of Love Supreme-era Coltrane before moving on to someone else -- he was very prolific.

Here's a select list of albums he did just before and a couple of years after Love Supreme:

1963 Live at Birdland
1963Live at the Half Note
1964Crescent
1964A Love Supreme
1965The John Coltrane Quartet Plays
1965Transition
1965Ascension
1965Meditations
1967Expression
1967Interstellar Space

Besides that, picking another jazz sax player you might like will be highly subjective. Coltrane played tenor (and the occasional soprano sax). You might like Sonny Rollins, although he was more hard bop than modal or free like Coltrane. Other tenor players to consider are Archie Shepp and Pharoah Sanders (who both played with Coltrane). Maybe you should try Pharoah Sanders first, as his albums from 1966-1971 on Impulse -- Tauhid (1966), Karma (1969), Black Unity (1971), and Thembi (1971) -- often shared the spritual themes that Coltrane dealt with.

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 16
Gratefulshrink made great suggestions! If you want a taste of something a little smoother, try Stan Getz. He was appropriately called, "The Sound."

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 16
Miles Davis, Kind of Blue of course.

Also, check out some Charlie Parker.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 16
imho, cannonball adderly blew coltrane out of the water on Kind of Blue.

for a Coltrane-focused album, I'd grab any of the Miles Davis Quintet Prestige recordings - Relaxin', Cookin', Steamin', whatever that other one was, with the Miles Davis Quintet. "'Round 'Bout Midnight" on the columbia label is also a standout.

For solo, I really Like Giant Steps and My Favorite Things.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 16
Give some suggestions from this millenium people, and support living artists! Obvious choices on sax from elder statesmen who are still at the top of their game would be the Coltranelike Charles Lloyd (Canto and Voice in the Night are both of similar intensity to Coltrane), or Wayne Shorter (the recent Alegria is excellent although not at all like Coltrane). Others such as Ornette Coleman and Sonny Rollins are still out there and playing, but their recent work does not impress nearly as much as their earlier material.

Younger musicians that come to mind are Joe Lovano, who seemingly can do no wrong (Joyous Encounter or I'm All for You will both impress), or the increasingly formidable Chris Potter in his work with the Dave Holland Quintet (Extended Play will leave you stunned - the best jazz album in a decade). Or you could try early Jan Garbarek - Witchi-Tai-To is very Coltranelike, but generally Garbarek has gone off in his own rather erratic direction.

Lots of choices out there, and yes the music is every bit as good as that made in the 50s and 60s.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 16
well, there was that one amazing performance of "Giant Steps" by Branford Marsalis in '88(i think?) at the Mellon Jazz Festival that was really awesome- he channeled Coltrane, then slid off and went all modern Spike Lee angry on us, it was a vicious 9 minute solo full of fury, totally raw and not what you saw in later years with Jay Leno hehe. I miss the old Branford.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
Give some suggestions from this millenium people, and support living artists! Obvious choices on sax from elder statesmen who are still at the top of their game would be the Coltranelike Charles Lloyd (Canto and Voice in the Night are both of similar intensity to Coltrane), or Wayne Shorter (the recent Alegria is excellent although not at all like Coltrane). Others such as Ornette Coleman and Sonny Rollins are still out there and playing, but their recent work does not impress nearly as much as their earlier material.

Younger musicians that come to mind are Joe Lovano, who seemingly can do no wrong (Joyous Encounter or I'm All for You will both impress), or the increasingly formidable Chris Potter in his work with the Dave Holland Quintet (Extended Play will leave you stunned - the best jazz album in a decade). Or you could try early Jan Garbarek - Witchi-Tai-To is very Coltranelike, but generally Garbarek has gone off in his own rather erratic direction.

Lots of choices out there, and yes the music is every bit as good as that made in the 50s and 60s.

Definitely! Also would like to add Kenny Garrett.

Just got the CD, "I Have The Room Above Her." Been listening for the last two days and am blown away by Joe Lovano's playing.

Chris Potter impresses me also. Good stuff!

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 16
How did I forget Marsalis - a most obvious Coltrane influenced sax player. But I don't agree his recent work has gone off in quality - Eternal may be a quieter album but it is of the highest standard.

Another one I forgot is Pharoah Sanders, who can't escape being compared to Coltrane in technique and intensity. Again his best work is earlier I think, but never having been a great fan I can't really suggest much - maybe Journey to the One is a place to start.

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 16
Some Coltrane and Monk sessions were recently "rediscovered" and mastered; the live date is particularly tasty. That would get you into Thelonious Monk as well. No harm in that . . .
icon10.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 16
A couple more to think about: Zoot Sims and Cannonball Adderly, especially Adderly's "Something Else" which has Miles Davis on it as a sideman. Adderly was the "other" saxophonist on "Kind of Blue" with Coltrane. Stellar disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back