I like the V600's-- what's wrong with me?!
Aug 9, 2002 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, it happened. I finally heard the V600's. I was at a Circuit City with a pair of Koss KSC-50's in hand for $14.99 (since my beloved Sportapro's are showing their age) and I stumbled up to the listening booths to check the new Avril something-or-other and Our Lady Peace. I was familiar with the OLP cd, so I knew what it should sound like (Bob Rock produced it, so its going to sound huge, kind of like Creed). Well, for rock and pop I really like the sound of them-- lots of bottom end and good crisp highs. Mids seemed adequate but nothing exceptional. I did like the soundstage-- to me it seemed a little wider than a pair of 7506's I had.

My question is, why the heck do these sound good to me? I've used 888's, Sportapros, Portapros, Senn HD497's, Sony 7506's and I liked these V600's alot. Not necessarily more than the others listed, but I definitely liked them-- very musical to me (at least for the rock and pop stuff).

Anyone else have a similar experience of listening to and liking a pair of headphones that are almost universally dogged here on the boards?

Josh

Aug 9, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

LOL... appar111. I guess you're just a little gnarled!

wink.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 21
someone delete this thread quick before gluegun sees it!

appar111,
you are entitled to your opinion of course. one thing the v600 has the other headphones you mentioned do not is the auranomic drivers. the drivers tilt toward your ears--check it out for yourself. some of the best sony cans have this: cd3000, cd1700, r10, f1, etc. it creates a sweet spot, but if you hit it just right you won't get that lumpy soundstage some other phones have.

Aug 9, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

what's wrong with me?!

Hehe, you're in the wrong message board
tongue.gif
Seriously though, whatever floats your boat, just float it away from the rest of us, hehe.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 21
appar111
HI: I have the sony mdr-V900 and are my only closed can and think they sound very good. When I want isolation I use the V900 and for rock I like them alot. Its my ears and my money and my stuff but I also have cans that members reconmend and are accepted but most times they are right and I listen to them. Do your thing and enjoy what ever you like.

Aug 9, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 21
Josh,

I used to own V600. It sounded good to me until I heard HD580 and Grado. Since then they've never been on my head again (and gave to my dad, sorry dad
rolleyes.gif
). Also, I ever had V900. Strange but true that higher model in Vxxx series are more sucks than lower ones.

And Josh, I sold the 7506's. They sounded so thin for my ears. Only good point is real real deep bass (non-boomy like all Vxxx series).

Do yourself a favor. If you want to stick with Sony, try models like CD1700, CD2000, 3000, F1, (R10
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
), or consider Sennheiser's or Grados. I just have my first pair of Beyerdynamic. They really have strong potential.

John

Aug 9, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Nothing............if they sound good to you, that's all that matters. I listen to just about all my 'phones on a fairly regular basis and there's something I enjoy anout each of them. Right now I'm listening to my new pair of Koss Porta Pros, and they sound damned good to me. Enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kajohndet
I used to own V600. It sounded good to me until I heard HD580 and Grado. Since then they've never been on my head again (and gave to my dad, sorry dad
rolleyes.gif
). Also, I ever had V900. Strange but true that higher model in Vxxx series are more sucks than lower ones.

Josh,

Precisely, as kajohndet mentioned just try higher end cans and you will throw the V600s out of the window. However, people have different taste, perhaps, the V600s are just your cup of tea.

Aug 9, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 21
Nuthin wrong - I suspect it's down to your choice of music, what you listen to it on, and where you listen to it (My V700 is only used outside).

Horses for courses.

EDIT: They are one-trick ponies. But if what you listen to outside suits the pony, they're great. If not, they suck quite a bit.

Aug 9, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 21
Yes, these phones do have the ability to bring out excitement in some rock recordings. With their ridiculous mid-bass that goes off like a shot gun, and lower treble that can blister your ears. Definitely, my vote for headphone of the year!
rolleyes.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 7:37 AM Post #11 of 21
Yeah, if you really think you like them you should try listening to all the genres of music that you listen to on them. You might find that they are something of a one-trick pony.
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 9, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 21
You might get a defective pair (driver from CD-3000). It maybe the only V600 that's sound good.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 21
Let me preface this response with a warning: I take great pleasure in bashing Sony headphones. Ok, onward.

Sony makes two headphones that I consider very good.
Sony MDR-V6/7506 (same headphone)
Sony MDR-R10

The rest of their headphones tend to have similar qualities that I dislike about them. These qualities include:
* echoey, "reverby" sound like you're listening in a cave
* thin, hollow midrange
* poor imaging
* boomy midbass
* somewhat harsh treble

I feel that all of these things apply to the V600 as well as many other Sony headphones. Some people say things like "well, yeah but they're great in the exact right amp with the perfect tubes and the exact position on your ears while listening to the right kind of music that takes advantage of their strengths", but that lifestyle isn't for me.

The V600 goes for like $199 in most stores. If you're considering paying that much, I strongly suggest you audition Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics. If you still think the V600 after making the comparison then post to HeadFi, let us all know and you can be the leader of Team V600, and pershaps its only member as well.
It would be a great honor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back