I Like All Types of Music
Nov 9, 2008 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

SiriuslyCold

500+ Head-Fier
I Like All Types Of Music | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
wink_face.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 22
I just don't "get" the humor of the onion. It is just so on the nose that it looses all value. Like the "man makes a post on the internet" article that made the rounds that everyone loved so much. How is something like that funny? Other than perhaps appreciating on some kind of ironic level that a newspaper is reporting something mundane. But that is ruined as soon as you figure out that the onion is a humor paper. So basically you have to keep up the illusion that you're reading a real newspaper, and laugh at "why would they report this, that's so stupid". But when the entire joke is that a real paper wouldn't do something, and it's not a real paper.... Where is the humor?

Also, could somebody explain to me why "2 and a half men" is popular?

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're missing something, you're probably too much like her, and I pity you.
frown.gif

I doubt very much that I am like her, but thanks for the assumption.

I realize that every type of music she likes is either lame or mainstream or both, and that the majority of radio listeners are just like her. Am I getting it now?

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 22
That's an OLD article, man. Early 1998 - you must've been digging! The following headline, from the same issue, made me bark out a laugh:

"Ghost Of Anne Frank: 'Quit Reading My Diary'"

As for the obvious spoof motif ruining the humour, it's all in the writing. It's MAD magazine all growed up. Check. Add a little Monty Python.

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 22
Ahh, that's it then. I never found MAD funny. Monty Python I love, but the only "spoof" I ever really found funny was a few by Weird Al. But really, that's mostly because of his lyrical genius, not because of the fact that it's a spoof.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 22
thedailymash.co.uk is okay but sometimes a bit too much. the article where the earth is blowing off all the environmental plights is great.

actually: i just read the article. the title is funny, the article is tiring after the first paragraph

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt very much that I am like her, but thanks for the assumption.

I realize that every type of music she likes is either lame or mainstream or both, and that the majority of radio listeners are just like her. Am I getting it now?

Pretty much, but the real humor comes from the fact that she's proud and a bit snobbish about her "eclectic" tastes in bad music. I, for one, thought it was hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back