I like all kinds of music, except country...
Oct 25, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 32
Sad to say, but country music today is even closer to being dead than jazz is. I've spent the last year going to see "the last left standing" live... Ray Price, George Jones, Dolly Parton, Little Jimmy Dickens and Merle Haggard. They're all still great, but unfortunately, there aren't a lot of equally great country artists in the wings. Just a handful.

See ya
Steve

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #17 of 32
anyone can listen to any music. but to me it seems some genres are aimed at race or age group. which to me is wrong, especially when so much music can be progressive or crosses over.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think for me i can rule out one genre though-- death/heavy metal. Can't stand music like slayer and stuff.

I've made an effort to listen to some of it, as I do with most genres. Some of the earlier Sabbath, AC/DC and a few others are pretty good. Probably won't be a primary focus of my listening, but I do appreciate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvkid909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone can listen to any music. but to me it seems some genres are aimed at race or age group. which to me is wrong, especially when so much music can be progressive or crosses over.

It might seem that contemporary mainstream country is aimed at a particular demographic, but it wasn't always like that. Classic country and roots draw widely from American traditional music. Even if the new stuff doesn't seem to be for you, the earlier music might appeal.

And Bigshot is right about losing the greats - I managed to get back to the Opry last summer. Am glad I got to see Porter Wagoner before he passed.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #20 of 32
I've never actually completely sworn off country. Growing up (because of my Dad) I've listened to alot of bluegrass. Which I like. I've always been one to fly under the radar when it comes to music. I can't remember the last major label artist I bought an album of. It just took me a while to find the country music I'd like I guess. And thanks for the suggestions of more I may like. I've heard lots about Wilco and Son Volt but never actually listened to them. This may provide to be the inspiration I needed to give them I go.

And Unkle Erik, I'm almost exclusively a vinyl listener. It is the most rewarding music listening experience, in my humble opinion.

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heck...I like both kinds of music: Country and Western.
biggrin.gif

Blues Brothers! ^^^

I like Johnny Cash. Always have, always will. Don't know if he's country, or if he's just Cash, but I miss that old guy.

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #23 of 32
Oct 27, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blues Brothers! ^^^

I like Johnny Cash. Always have, always will. Don't know if he's country, or if he's just Cash, but I miss that old guy.

I was actually listening to the Blues Brothers 2000 Soundtrack while I was cleaning up today.. strange coincidence!

Quote:

Hey! No fair. He was using 12 strings and 2 eyes that can see. Here's another interesting take on it. Totally different style but nearly as amazing:

YouTube - Jose Feliciano - Malaguena

I watched the first one you quoted, then Feliciano.. wow the 2nd one sounds like its coming from a computer is so perfectly executed. Very impressed.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #26 of 32
I always thought I couldn't stand country either until I really gave it a try. I found that there were quite a few artists that I enjoyed. For example, I've always been a sucker for nice female vocals. There are a lot of good ones in country, e.g. Sara Evans; Martina McBride. Then there's Bluegrass, which is a very interesting "cousin" of country. I learned to love Alison Krauss pretty quickly after the first listen.

Plus I own a pickup truck and I live in Alabama, so it's kind of mandatory...
dt880smile.png

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #27 of 32
Yeah, I'm a fan of Johnny Cash too. And I'd definitely consider him country. Lots of people would argue and say he plays Rock n' Roll. Maybe in attitude but not in style. I think they're just in denial that they do actually like country music.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Blues Brothers! ^^^

Same. My dad was a big fan of Cash when I was growing up, I've heard him all my life. Just a great musician.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #30 of 32
I wasn't a big fan of country either until about a year ago when I got a hold of an Alison Krauss & Union Station CD. Alison's voice is amazing, most of the recordings are audiophile grade, and the musicians are top notch. I have since bought a number of her CDs and branched a little further into the genre, although I still hang closer to the rock and blues scene.

I would highly recommend a listen if you haven't heard her already. 'New Favorite' is a great place to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back