I like all kinds of music, except country...
Oct 25, 2008 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

QRanc

Head-Fier
Sound familiar?

I too tend to subscribe to this theory. I tend to frown upon swearing off a genre of music entirely though. If you can't find something you like, you haven't looked hard enough. But, when it came to country music, I never had the patience. It all sucked as far as I was concerned. Until...

The Weight. A country band I actually like! I'll link to it for those curious to try. "Talkin'" is an unreal song. I just thought I'd put it out there for those of you who feel as I did about a "useless" of music. I now have a newfound enthusiasm for country.

I hope you enjoy:

Tee Pee Records*-*Bands

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 32
Can't say I'm overly impressed, and I like country. They seem familiar though, I think I've heard them before.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 32
I too hate country. Unless you consider Band of Horses kind of country, because they're great.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 32
I think one problem is that people get such a skewed view of what country is based on mainstream country, and the whole image and sound it projects. It's overall mainstream crappiness doesn't at all represent how great country can be when done right. It's a lot like rap in that respect, mainstream rap is a poor representation of classic rap and independent/underground rap, and people get all these ideas about what rap is that just don't stick as generalizations.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 32
Here are a few bands/artists that might turn your crank, QRanc.

Jason and the Scorchers
Reckless Kelly
The Rolling Stones (yes, they do country every now and then)
The Knitters
Hank Williams, Sr.

And what about country rock?

The Eagles
The Flying Burrito Brothers
The Byrds (try Sweethearts of the Rodeo
Poco

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 32
The problem with country music is that most people don't know what country music is. They hear redneck rock and hate it and think that's the same as country. It isn't. It's pretty safe to say that anyone who says they don't like country music probably doesn't know anything about country music.

Country music, bluegrass, folk and blues are all mixed up together. The music is expressive, sophisticated and entertaining. It's incredibly important. Country boogie fused with jump blues and became Rock n Roll. You can't know anything about the history of American music without knowing about country music.

See ya
Steve

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 32
I think it's possible to not like a particular genre as a whole but still like certain artists within that genre. For example, I don't particularly like Country and wouldn't sit there listening to a Country station, but there are a few artists I do like. I can say the same about Hip Hop and Gospel.

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 32
Keep exploring - the album that took me into the genre was Trace by Son Volt. I gave The Weight a quick listen, and I think you'd enjoy Trace, as well. If you do, take a listen to the other side/former/etc. bands around them: Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Jay Farrar's solo projects, Golden Smog, and I think there are a few others. If you like that, stick your head further into the alt.country/No Depression/y'allternative scene. There's a lot to like there.

From there, you might want to look into classic country - Johnny Cash is a natural first step, but my favorite is probably Lefty Frizzell. There are many others, and bluegrass/folk is absolutely worth a listen.

Anyhow, check out the rest of the alt.country scene. If you like The Weight, there's a lot more out there. Great genre and lots of terrific artists. Also, country records are often overlooked by record collectors. If you have a turntable (and you should
wink.gif
) you can find tons of great music for nothing - the rock and jazz fiends rarely pick over country vinyl.

Oddly, I think getting into country/roots sort of pulled me into jazz. I've long been a rock fan, but as Steve mentioned, parts of jazz fused with country to give us rock. So it all sort of fell together for me and I love all three now. Took a few years to come around, but it's worth it.

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's possible to not like a particular genre as a whole but still like certain artists within that genre. For example, I don't particularly like Country and wouldn't sit there listening to a Country station, but there are a few artists I do like. I can say the same about Hip Hop and Gospel.

Perhaps there is a problem with thinking of genres as "wholes" to begin with, and then assuming what you're exposed to that you don't like consistitues that whole, enough to say that you don't like the genre. If you can find artists you like in a genre, than you don't dislike it as a whole, and more likely than not, there are a number of other artists within that genre that you would like as well, you're just not being exposed to them. Not wanting to sit there and listen to a radio station dedicated to a certain genre doesn't mean you don't like that genre, you just don't like what that radio station plays of that genre, and they often present only a narrow slice of any particular genre, even if they're dedicated to it. There are rap stations I wouldn't sit and listen to (if I listened to the radio at all anymore), and obviously by my name, I love rap music.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 32
Heck...I like both kinds of music: Country and Western.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I can't say I am big fan of contemporary country music, but I do enjoy a lot of alternative country: Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Wilco, etc...

--Jerome

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 32
i think for me i can rule out one genre though-- death/heavy metal. Can't stand music like slayer and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back