I KNOW you've been asked a 1000x guys, but I'm completely lost on getting the right Mp3 player
Dec 23, 2012 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

brad90y

New Head-Fier
First of all, I'M SORRY!!!

I know you guys have been asked about MP3's a million times!! but I've been lost on the recommendations and the hours I spent reading online. So I decided to go to the experts, and here is what I'm looking for (considering my Sansa Fuze died).

The MP3 player I'm looking for:

- Around $100 or less
- Interested in clarity over bass (though this might depend on the headphones, correct?)
- Sounds great compared to your average mp3 player
- Has a reasonably good battery life (I feel like the ones posted online are greatly exaggerated)
- Drag n' Drop interface (No silly software to use like iTunes).
- Ease of navigation VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT to me.

To explain the last part, I compare my Fuze to my Ipod. The Fuze makes it simple to go from song to song, to scroll up or down. One thing that annoys me dearly with my Ipod is if I wanted to move in the middle of song, I basically have to lean my finger on it's smooth surface and it either skips the song entirely (to the next song) or goes through some other stupid navigation.

Thank you so, so, soooo much for your help. Also, I can wait until a few days after Christmas if that's necessary!

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to the forum brad90y. These soft of questions have been asked alot but since many people have different requirements it's difficult to find someone who has the same needs. Your last wish excludes alot of media players. Apple have very good navigation but for <100 dollars you will be buying one of their lesser models. They also use iTunes. For a big increase in sound quality this often (although not always) is very costly. Long battery life also conflicts with sound quality although this compromise tends to affect over the ear headphone listening. I can't actually think of a player that meets your requirements. The Sansa Clip is very popular but has short battery life at 15 hours and I don't know what the interface is like. Cowon players are more expensive and I disliked the interface of my S9. There is the iaudio7 but I don't know anything about this player. The battery time posted online are the maximum possible with continuous playback under ideal conditions, often you get half or less of those numbers in the real world. The difficulty in choosing a player is you never really know what you'll get until you buy. Manufactures are sometimes vague to keep you interested, other people's reviews may not touch on what you are interested in. Borrowing a player is ideal if you can find somebody who has a model you are interested in.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I might go with Sansa, I just don't understand why my Fuze had to die! (It keeps turning on/off)

Have you tried re-installing the firmware, or installing the Rockbox firmware? Maybe there's life left in it still.....

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
I might go with Sansa, I just don't understand why my Fuze had to die! (It keeps turning on/off)

You might try posting your questions at the website anythingbutipod.
I use to use the Sansa Clip Zip, but switched over to the Sony E series E465 16GB player because it had a larger screen then my Clip Zip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back