I just spent 65$ on 3 vinyl records
Apr 4, 2008 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Mike_TNT

100+ Head-Fier
and I don't even have a record player. What the hell am I doing?!
redface.gif

Joy Division- Closer
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Talking Heads- Remain in Light

and I've no way of playing them. They look damn great though and cds seem pretty flimsy in comparison.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 24
Looks like a Goldmund Reference II is in your future
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 24
thats the best way to start!
i just bought ****loads of rare records on ebay, forcing me to invest in a turntable.
there´s just something about vinyl, amplifying the pleasure of ownership
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeipaCray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like a Goldmund Reference II is in your future
biggrin.gif

Ahahahaha Oh man I had to look that up and that thing looks like it's mounted on some AKG phones. 25 ever made? Oh dear I'm afraid to ask for the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats the best way to start!
i just bought ****loads of rare records on ebay, forcing me to invest in a turntable.
there´s just something about vinyl, amplifying the pleasure of ownership
biggrin.gif

No kidding. Their massivity just demands attention. Gamers must feel the same way about neo-geo carts.

I'm already browsing craiglist for a record player. The thing is I know nothing about turntables. Haven't owned one since I was a toddler.

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_TNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahahahaha Oh man I had to look that up and that thing looks like it's mounted on some AKG phones. 25 ever made? Oh dear I'm afraid to ask for the price.

About $300K USD.

Stereophile: Goldmund's $300k Turntable

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

I'm already browsing craiglist for a record player. The thing is I know nothing about turntables. Haven't owned one since I was a toddler.

same here, have been searching for a decent used TT for half a year, just bought a marantz 6300 with a denon 103 mc four hours ago
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 24
Congrats on the vinyl!

I don't know what your budget is, but a good place to start is with the Vinyl Anachronist. I don't have the URL handy, but he should come right up in Google. I highly recommend reading the articles before buying a turntable. It's free, the writing is good and you will learn enough to make a good purchase.

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same here, have been searching for a decent used TT for half a year, just bought a marantz 6300 with a denon 103 mc four hours ago
biggrin.gif

Congrats! Let us know how it sounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the vinyl!

I don't know what your budget is, but a good place to start is with the Vinyl Anachronist. I don't have the URL handy, but he should come right up in Google. I highly recommend reading the articles before buying a turntable. It's free, the writing is good and you will learn enough to make a good purchase.

Thanks. I've already started reading and I'm hooked. I'm a college student and my budget is around 800$ for a knew source in a mostly headphone only rig. I've been considering upgrading my cdp (cambridge d500) to a Rega or a CEC cdp but now I'm contemplating going all wax. Crazy.

Here's the link btw: The Vinyl Anachronist

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 24
Suggestion: Pick up a technics linear tracking turntable. It will blow away almost anything available with a tonearm, and it will not wear out your records when you play it. Linear tracking rocks.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 24
My suggestion: a Rega P1 all-in-one.

Oh, and NICE pickup on the Joy Division Closer LP. Picked that up myself, I'm listening to what used to be my favorite band all over again. The newer pressing (assuming you got that) seems a fair bit better than the original Factory pressing.

Whatever the case, enjoy your first steps!

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

and I don't even have a record player. What the hell am I doing?!
redface.gif

Joy Division- Closer
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Talking Heads- Remain in Light

It's OK, you're doing the right thing.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm digging JD's Unknown Pleasures right now. The reissue vinyl sounds absolutely awesome. If you're into Mission of Burma, they just re-released their catalog on vinyl as well. I bought Signals, Calls, and Marches -- it's beautifully mastered.

Good luck on the TT hunt.

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 24
For those prices, I hope they were sealed.

Apr 5, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 24
I, personally, recommend against the Rega P1. It's very popular and much praised, which is why I bought one. I've never been happy with it. Three different preamps, two calibrations, three cartridges, and a VTA adjuster later and I'm still futzing with it. Vinyl is fun to me because of the extra care and attention it takes to enjoy it, but the P1 just isn't worth it. Neither is the P3, which I eventually upgraded to. I find myself buying cd's of my old records, because they are in every way superior.

Since you've got $800 to spend, I recommend blowing off Rega entirely. Go with a VPI. They sound much, much better (IMHO). Like, say, this one: AudiogoN ForSale: Vpi Hw19(Sale) MK. 11/1V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back