I just made my first high-end headphone purchase.
May 23, 2005 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Bunninator

Head-Fier
I just purchased on buy.com a pair of Etymotic ER 6i Isolator Earphones. The first real high fidelity earphones I've ever purchased. I picked these out of a pool of Shure E2c, and Etymotic 6 Isolator Earphones (the double flanged ones). I tried to do as much research as possible but hit a dead end when it came to comparisons between the three. I choose the ER6i's in the end because of the triple flanged earbuds. I dunno though, I hope I made the right choice. The white color sure isn't going to go well with my black iRiver.

rs1smile.gif

May 23, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 18
Congratulations! Having all three, I can tell you that you chose the one with the most isolation, and in comparison to the E2c, the one with a more detailed sound. As the triple flanges can be uncomfortable for some, I would rcommend that you stick with them for awhile.......your ear canals will eventually toughen up a bit and get used to them. Don't put them in dry.....use water, or some kind of ear lubricant, or you can do what many do, just "lick 'em and stick 'em."
Please post your impressions after you've had some time with them. And remember.....it's all about getting a good seal.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 18
I am so glad you reassured me of my purchase. I will be sure to post impressions when they have arrived. My only worry is about when or if they'll ship because this is the first thing I've ever bought online.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 18
Little assurance should be needed if you purchased the Etymotic Research ER6i canalphones. They are excellent canalphones. Their price just keeps getting lower and lower & I just keep liking their sound more and more. It is nothing like any other headphone I have herd, but it is wonderfull. The bass is weak but oh so boostable with an EQ, and I don't even EQ mine, I just like them for what they are, weak bass and all.

They are most deffinitly one of the most detailed headphones in the world. You may discover that the Etymotic sound is not your sound, but no fear should be had if this is the case, there will always be a person looking to pick up a pair of them from you.

Congradulations on your first head-fi purchase. Sorry about your wallet. It is going to be a shriveled up mess by the end of your venture into this forums offerings. As Joe said, make sure to holla back with your opinions on them, no matter what they are. The more the better. Happy listening & try some Alice in Chains or Rolling Stones on them for me.

May 23, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 18
As my music collection grows so will my appreciation for these headphones.

Think I'm gonna have to bump up the bitrate for all my ripped cds now? I've been ripping everything at 192kbps.

May 23, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 18
I would sugjest having a listening test with diffirent codecs & bitrates. If you are planning on critical listening then the largest bitrate & best codec you can stand (store) is going to be best, but as Ed said, if its not critical listening then 192 Kib/s would be acceptable by most everyone, IMO.

May 23, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 18
I have one concern now also.

Now I RARELY EVER get ANY zits, ANYWHERE on my body or my face.

BUT STARTING YESTERDAY I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING CONSTANTLY FROM A ZIT THAT IS PLANTED RIGHT OUTSIDE MY EAR CANAL!

I can't wear ANY headphones, because it HURTS. Hopefully it will have gone away by the time the earphones ship, I cannot bear the thought of having these new earphones and not being able to use them without extreme pain. ;_;

May 23, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 18
Well, sorry about that. Anything I can do to help. Guess not, good luck with that though.

May 23, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 18
Congrats about your purchase, I think it is a good one. You may find their sound thin at first (depending on what headphones you are used to), but listen to them for a little while and boost the bass some, and they become great well-rounded canalphones with tons of detail. Your iriver has a pretty good eq, so you should be able find a hi-fi sound you enjoy thoroughly. You might find 192 a little too compressed, but it may be fine. It's best to rip a familiar cd to different bitrates and see what works best for you. I know foobar has an ABX comparator that lets you switch between different versions of a song so you can tell what you can differentiate between.

Also, I personally find the triflanges very uncomfortable in their stock form. I found they went too deep in my ear. So, I cut off the smallest flange, and this made them 1000x more comfortable for me. If you can use them as triflanges, then by all means; but, if you think they go too deep, there is that option.

Enjoy your first high-end canalphone purchase...it probably won't be your last, if you keep hanging out around here. Definitely let us know what you think when you get them and do some listening.

May 23, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
Well, sorry about that. Anything I can do to help. Guess not, good luck with that though.

Haha, sorry to gross you out, but it's depressing that I can't use headphones for a few days ;_;

It's funny, a few months ago I would have sworn by the Sony EX70's that I was using. I would have argued that they were high end headphones, and in a lot of cases, I did. :3 Knowing what I know now though, I was punishing my eardrums with muddy mediocrity.

I can't wait to get my new headphones. Here's hoping Buy.com is a good place to buy. They were only $90 w/ shipping.

May 23, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunninator
I have one concern now also.

Now I RARELY EVER get ANY zits, ANYWHERE on my body or my face.

BUT STARTING YESTERDAY I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING CONSTANTLY FROM A ZIT THAT IS PLANTED RIGHT OUTSIDE MY EAR CANAL!

I can't wear ANY headphones, because it HURTS. Hopefully it will have gone away by the time the earphones ship, I cannot bear the thought of having these new earphones and not being able to use them without extreme pain. ;_;

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA

why would you tell us that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back