I Just Heard the Telephone Ringing...
Mar 30, 2006 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nrbelex

Head-Fier
... in "The Ocean" by Led Zeppelin on Houses of the Holy. This was the first time I heard the song from my new SR-60s so this is a thank you for suggesting their purchase. I googled it afterwards and found out what happened from Wikipedia:

Quote:

At approximately 1:38 into the song, a phone can be heard ringing in the background. Some speculate that this was intentional - the sheet music (printed after the fact) that accompanies the CD-box set has the word `ring' printed twice above the percussion tab of this song. Others are of the opinion that while Led Zeppelin recorded the song a ringing phone was captured in the mix.

rs1smile.gif

~ Brett

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 15
Isn't it satisfying to hear something like that for the first time?

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 15
Was that the first time you discovered it? I love when that happens!

I remember VERY vividly the first time I heard Rilo Kiley's "It's a Hit" and that low bass drum came on in the right channel. I was like, "where did this come from?"

Lately, I've been able to pick out all sorts of new guitar parts in things I hadn't heard before, hence my "team" in my sig...

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Was that the first time you discovered it? I love when that happens!

I remember VERY vividly the first time I heard Rilo Kiley's "It's a Hit" and that low bass drum came on in the right channel. I was like, "where did this come from?"

Lately, I've been able to pick out all sorts of new guitar parts in things I hadn't heard before, hence my "team" in my sig...

yeah, i was listening to Bare Naked Ladies' Stunt album and I was able to hear many more hidden guitar parts on my E4's compared to my previous headphone - iBuds...

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman2k2
yeah, i was listening to Bare Naked Ladies' Stunt album and I was able to hear many more hidden guitar parts on my E4's compared to my previous headphone - iBuds...

Oh man, judging from your signature, soon your team will be "Where did this bass part come from?!"

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by angler31337
Isn't it satisfying to hear something like that for the first time?

-Angler
etysmile.gif

It was after I took off the headphones, realized what had happened and rewound.
tongue.gif

~ Brett

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman2k2

My newest favorite guitar part is something I heard for the first time in one of my Chet Atkins CDs day before yesterday on my brand new MS-1s!

While taking the left channel part in a guitar duet, Chet was heard getting up and sitting back down while swapping guitars following his turn playing!! You can actually hear him shuffling around; mega cool!!

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 15
I always like listening to Danny Carey either dropping or clicking his drum sticks together during the song No Quarter from Tool's Salival album. It comes towards the middle/mid-end of the song during a quiet part, and it's pretty cool when you pick it up.

edit: It happens at 4:45.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 15
Very cool post ! When I first got my U.E. superfi.5 and was listening to "The Cures Trilogy live in berlin" I could actully hear the audience talking and the dull thump sound of hands on guitar and bass strings right before they started playing , blew me away.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 15
In the studio outtakes of "Dee" on the Ozzy Osbourne Tribute album, you can hear either Randy Rhoads leather pants crinkling or the leather couch he is playing on crinkling. No idea which though.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 15
this has happened quite a bit since i got my phones, i always take them off and look around, then realise it was part of the song...

i hear a phone ring in Feel Good Inc by Gorillaz which i've never heard before from either speakers or earbuds,... it was somewhere near the beginning... i didnt realise it till i found myself checking if the phone was ringing whenever that song was playing
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #14 of 15
If you get Ety ER-4s I gaurantee you will hear at least one thing new in every CD you own. Those phones just have a knack for showing up things like that.

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
If you get Ety ER-4s I gaurantee you will hear at least one thing new in every CD you own. Those phones just have a knack for showing up things like that.

Yup. Ety's and Grados both have a tendency to do that.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back