I just got offered a job in St.Thomas!
Jul 1, 2005 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ilikemonkeys

500+ Head-Fier
What do i do?

This is nuts.

I've lived in Kansas City for 30 years and have always dreamed of living in CO, but now this.?.?

I've never thought about moving to an island......but if you're gonna do it....why not be St. Thomas?

this decision is gonna kill me!

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 13
I say go for it. I mean come on its an Island!
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 13
Do it Bill!!! Get the hell outta the midwest and NEVER think about coming back!
biggrin.gif

What's the job? Do they have any need for a college kid?
tongue.gif
I'm fairly proficient in calculus, that's about the only useful thing I've learned so far!
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
What do i do?

This is nuts.

I've lived in Kansas City for 30 years and have always dreamed of living in CO, but now this.?.?

I've never thought about moving to an island......but if you're gonna do it....why not be St. Thomas?

this decision is gonna kill me!

Do it. Don't think. Save the thinking for the professors. You can always move back if you want. Unless the job is something execrable, for, in that case, you should ask for twice the money. For your trouble, of course.
icon10.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 13
to move to paradise or not?

thats an easy answer. As long as there are no major detriments to the job, I would take it in a heartbeat.

I've only been there once and it was awesome.

I wish I were in your shoes.

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 13
One cautionary note. I had a friend who took a job in Bermuda. It turned out that he was rather unhappy since he didn't enjoy the job and in order to interview for others he had to take time off to fly back to the States for interviews, so it's pretty otugh to get your next gig if it doesn't work out...

Jul 1, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #7 of 13
My advice would be to visit first if you have not already done so. St. Thomas is a beautiful place, lots of great shopping, nice terrain, and as "American-like" as anywhere in the Caribbean, save my home in the Cayman Islands.

Coming to Cayman has added immeasurably to my life, and oddly enough, I was living in Kansas City (where I did my LLM degree in '96) prior to moving here! I turned down an offer with Bryan Cave, and sure did miss the Plaza and so forth during the summer "in between" when I spent some time with my parents and other family members.

But nothing seemed to matter after the first night that I arrived, checked into the very basic hotel they put me up in, and walked down to the beach and put my toes in the sand and ocean for the first time in my life! I'll never forget that night, alone, in a brand new place, full of adventure waiting to happen. And it has. I love it here, and throughout the Caribbean. The people are amazing and what once worried me became "no worries, mon" in no time!

I was ready for the change and had been working 80-100 hour weeks for a couple of years before making the life change. I've been here 9 years and can hardly remember my former self. Miami is just an hour flight away, so you never lose touch with civilization... err, not that Miami is civilized, but you know what I mean, roads that you can drive fast on, malls, big movie complexes, etc.

As with all choices in life, there are tradeoffs, but it's nice to know that I can take a dip in the 'pool' any time I want to (well, that's what they call the sea on the scuba diving boats).

The drawbacks, besides missing friends and family when you're first settling in, is that you will also miss certain 'things' that you now take for granted, such as: customer service, selection, low prices, and any sense of urgency that you might expect others to have for your problems. Also, if you have never experienced Island culture, you're in for another big surprise: they tend not to think as highly of America, and by extension, Americans, as you do. It hurts a lot at first, and you will be stereotyped, perhaps even discriminated against in the workplace. You're the "expat" and that means that you need to train a local person to be able to do your job. In other words, if you do your job well, you will make yourself extinct. But of course there are other jobs once you settle in and become a known quantity.

The other advantage that you would have in St. Thomas relative to Cayman is the proximity to so many other Islands. We're quite isolated here, but if you are the adventurous type, you'll get a chance to do all sorts of fun boat trips, and/or Island hopping by air. If you have a family as well, the kids will integrate well. Islanders tend to be highly nationalistic and prideful of thier local culture and traditions, but the beautiful thing is that the kids grow up to be truly color blind and I can't even begin to tell you how lovely it reflects back on their parents.

Best of luck with your decision. I don't think I have to tell you how I'd cast my vote. Oh, and Colorado. Now there is the other place I always dreamed about moving to. My brother did some 20-odd years ago, and I nearly followed suit. Every time I visit, which is often, I want to go back to the mountains for more. But it's a great place to go for vacations! Lucky you, St. Thomas is not so flat as Cayman. At least you'll have hills!

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

What do i do?

Visit the island. Understand that after the initial infatuation wears off, you have a new home that is yours to unpeel and explore. Meet the people, everywhere, and then make your decision. Become Island Man!
BTW, what are you going to do with the cats? Please don't give them to a shelter.

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 13
Go for it nobody is going to force you to stay forever.
I spent a week in st Thomas as a child more than 20 years ago.
I remeber that to get there you had to fly to San juan PR then take a small propeller flight into st Thomas. Also took a small ferry ride across to st John.
All I can say is that its beautiful.
As far as island living goes. It all depends on your outlook on life, you will have to discover it for yourself.
I spent two and a half years on Oahu HI (six month side trip to Okinawa Jp).
I was in my early twenties then and the islands do get small. Perhaps things would be differrent now I am in my thirties and my outlook has changed. Anyhow I am happy living in Asturias Spain.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 13
I was there a couple years ago and it is absolutely beautiful. I really didn't want to come home and if I could find a good job down there, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

That being said, you do need to get a feel for the Caribbean lifestyle. The culture is defintely different there and you need to know whether or not you'll fit in.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you come across the job? Is there a place where you search for jobs in paradise?

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for all the advice.

I'm still torn.....'ive never ever even considered a move closer to the equator.

I'm actually more of a cold weather guy.....but but but it is paradise. I think I could get used to it.

how i was offered the job...client of mine. I just got fired. CLient likes me and called me. He's a good guy. I enjoyed working with him. I got the email last night offering the job and the move to the Island.

Mr. Smithers. (my cat) will have to come with me. he's my life partner. I have to keep an eye on his as he knows entirely too much about me and will go straight to the police if I dont keep my thumb on him.

B

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Mr. Smithers. (my cat) will have to come with me. he's my life partner. I have to keep an eye on his as he knows entirely too much about me and will go straight to the police if I dont keep my thumb on him.

B

Aww! - That made me smile!
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck in whatever you decide my friend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back