I just got my dream job.
Mar 5, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #182 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His colon surgery was way worse. I wish I were kidding.

Why am I mildly disappointed I missed it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #183 of 210
Big congrats on the dream job Tyll. I love that you did it in perfect corporate speak too. We all know you were tempted to write something ridiculously awesome like "Headphoneus Grandmasterus". It would fit, but this thread may have turned out a bit different (or not existed).

I'm always impressed by people with a passion for what they're doing. I frequent a local liquor store that carries a lot of high quality beer. There are many such stores in my area, everyone's getting into beer now. The difference is that this guy loves beer even more than I do. He spends countless hours each week reading reviews and encouraging his suppliers to bring in limited editions and hard-to-find imports. As a result he landed 17th on the list of the top beer retailers in the world compiled by RateBeer.com. Not too shabby for an unassuming strip-mall liquor store.

You have that same passion. At meets you're vying to be the most lively guy in the room, but without stepping on other people's opinions. I don't think it's all for the marketing aspects that you come away from every new group with a lot of new friends, but it certainly helps the bottom line. How many of us have shopped around for a headphone, found a product at the deep discounter sites with a slightly lower price, and ordered from you anyway? Just knowing that you and the rest of Team Headroom will stand behind the sale makes all the difference.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #184 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just knowing that you and the rest of Team Headroom will stand behind the sale makes all the difference.

QFT.

I bought my HD650s from Headroom for precisely this reason. The Micro DAC too, though sonics obviously came into play. The after sale care I received when I had a few questions has been top notch, which is not always the case when dealing with on line businesses, regardless of scale.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #185 of 210
Tyll-

As I do every day at my office, I am sitting here with your dream child HeadRoom Audiophile Desktop rig making my work life better. Your influence on the headphone and portable audio enthusiast hobbies cannot be overstated. The fact that you jumped onto the desktop proper and created a new niche for HeadRoom is not surprising. I am sure as hell happy you did because Neko Case is sitting on my desk singing to me now.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for sticking with your first dream child, HeadRoom itself, through the thick and thin and economic downturns and corporate realities. Your dream job is so perfect for you and for HeadRoom that I am almost surprised the "business coaches" and efficiency experts and the like figured that out!
wink.gif
To your credit, you have gracefully complimented these folks from the beginning, and I bet Travis the CEO is way relieved that you did not turn out to be the raging maniac that your Hulk pics (or panty pics!
eek.gif
) might have indicated.

My first meet was in 2005 at sleestack's hotel in San Jose. You were still on the van tour of America's Head-Fi meets at that point. I hadn't been on Head-Fi very long and I was really new to the internet forum world altogether. I don't know if you were the very first person I met, but you were the most effusive and passionate and welcoming and knowledgeable and fun headphone freak in the room. I even got to sign your surfboard table, which made me feel like I was part of something. The fact that you will be back on the boards and back at the meets and at the magazines and ezines proselytizing is a great thing for all of us and will allow you to do some of the things you do best.

BUT, you better be allowed to keep your hand in product planning and development because all of that groundwork and thought is what makes you know what we all want more than almost any other manufacturer and retailer. Others have been smart enough to follow your lead, but you were the first and probably still the best. Making HeadRoom successful is always part of the equation, but your core passion for this hobby and us enthusiasts has always come through.

Keep up the great work as HeadRoom's Head Kahuna or whatever your job title is!
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #186 of 210
^ Great post!

x2

Except I wasn't at sleestack's hotel and never got to sign your surfboard.

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #187 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet Travis the CEO is way relieved that you did not turn out to be the raging maniac that your Hulk pics (or panty pics!
eek.gif
) might have indicated.

Oh geez! I forgot about that pic. He's gonna have to see it one of these days, and then he'll be like the rest of us: unable to unsee it.

I've been staring at my belly button for a day and a half now, and I'm inspired. So I'm going to take opportunity to make a few "visionary" comments about the headphone market and this community.

Sometimes I think this hobby isn't so much about headphones as it is around headphones.

Isn't it odd that something as intimately internal as headphone listening has spawned this buoyant social activity of folks hauling baskets of gear to meets, listening to each others music, admiring the geeky DIY handiwork, and having dinner and giddiness together afterward as if they were life-long friends....which,of course, they are.

How did this happen? Why does this happen about something as silly as headphones?

'Cuz it's not about the headphones really, it's about the people. The most amazing thing you'll find at a meet is Edwood jumping up and down exuberantly yammering on about something or other, or Bozebuttons casually opening the eleventh box housing some six-figure work of audio art, or Voltron gently smiling and telling a sweet story about someone drunk in a tub, or, maybe most amazingly, a sweetheart of a middle school teacher who can survive rabid 8th graders during the day, and a bunch of knucklehead audio phreaks at night. (Hi Ed, Tom, Al, and Vicky) My guess is that for the foreseeable future, this hobby is first and foremost about folks enjoying each other. The music and gear they love are just the toys they like to play with which brings them together.

The headphone amps themselves will change some over time, but not too much. Heck, some of us still have turn tables at home. A headphone amp is a beautifully simple thing, my guess is that at the high-end, we'll see an infinite variety of variations upon the few simple themes. The sources for the headphone amps in this hobby, however, will be all over the map.

I've got some ideas about DSP DACs, and I know many other makers thinking haywire things about DACs. And have you seen the Aspire One netbook at your local Costco? $299 for a tiny WindowsXP laptop with a 140gig hard drive. Talk about your perfect portable music and media player, that's as cheap and does way more than an iTouch! I gotta Squeezbox in my garage and a Transporter in living-room, and I love helping April with her homework with French jazz radio streaming in the background. I think the headphone hobby with its open-mindedness toward sources is what will cause it to more than join the “audiophile” market but will rather actually end up on the leading edge of it with younger folks who've embraced these new technologies.

I don't really want to say too much about the future of the portable world but one of these days everything will be CD rez digital wireless in one way or the other, and then the only thing you'll need to carry is the headphone amp.

I wish I could predict good health for the DIY part of this activity. It used to be that the DIY part of the audiophile world was pretty big and strong compared to the market as a whole. Now, the DIY percentage of the audiophile world is quite limited. I would hate to think the same thing might happen in the headphone world.

The headphone DIY world is astonishingly high-quality. Not only are the designs and performance of many of these amps excellent, but the documentation, educational opportunities, and economic potential of this activity are all surprisingly healthy. But I don't think ongoing success is guaranteed. It's not easy to build gear; it's especially difficulty to figure out what's wrong when something isn't working. And the quality of DIY gear and the purchase itself can be touch and go.

I've always found the DIY segment stimulating competition, and I hope I might be able to encourage the DIY segment in some way. Unfortunately selling kits is horribly not-profitable....but I'll be trying to think of something.

The short term future … well the short term future is friggen sketchy. I guess I'd suggest you be careful with your money and only purchase things that would be very valuable to you. And I guess I'd go so far as to suggest you look at sponsors of this site first for your purchases. (I'm always surprised who I don't see on there.)

The only thing I'd ask for HeadRoom in particular is that since we've got 16 years worth of amps out there, you be sure you're listening to one of our current amps as you evaluate amps---especially the Ultra Amps, they're really good.

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #189 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<Judicious snip>

I wish I could predict good health for the DIY part of this activity. It used to be that the DIY part of the audiophile world was pretty big and strong compared to the market as a whole. Now, the DIY percentage of the audiophile world is quite limited. I would hate to think the same thing might happen in the headphone world.

The headphone DIY world is astonishingly high-quality. Not only are the designs and performance of many of these amps excellent, but the documentation, educational opportunities, and economic potential of this activity are all surprisingly healthy. But I don't think ongoing success is guaranteed. It's not easy to build gear; it's especially difficulty to figure out what's wrong when something isn't working. And the quality of DIY gear and the purchase itself can be touch and go.

I've always found the DIY segment stimulating competition, and I hope I might be able to encourage the DIY segment in some way. Unfortunately selling kits is horribly not-profitable....but I'll be trying to think of something.

Very interesting that the DIY community even makes the radar - outside the Millett Hybrid / Starving Student, and a few other kits, there do seem to be fewer and fewer DIY types, even though the designs are spectacular, based on what we were building 5 years ago (my sig has a chronological build order, all the way back to Sheldon Stokes, who inspired Ti on the m³).

There is no money in kits, except maybe out of China with a pilfered design. And, many of the current designs are limited by obsoleted parts, causing designers much frustration.

Had I mentioned spending over $1k on parts a few years ago, there would be howls of lunacy from all quarters - that I now have 3 amps at each over $1k in parts, and one closer to $2k, it is hard to imagine spending any more, well, except on better (amorphous core or custom Japanese) iron.

The point being, other than Singlepower type fiasco custom builds, there is no future in the highest end, either for the volume HR needs to be profitable. Oh, maybe you could buy designs (HA-1 and HA-2 were spectacular, and yet, made no $$$), so you almost have to dumb down to make $$$. Looking at, IMHO, the best headphone amp on the market - Pete's 307a, the volume, I doubt, justifies it even being commercially available, except it is worth Pete and Todd's time to build 10 a year. Sadly, it would not be worthwhile for HR.

I feel for you, Tyll. Many times the fun of the hobby is killed by the brutal reality of making the coolest parts (the things 99% never get to hear), pay. Consistently. Every month / quarter / year.

Here's to you for making that happen for the past 15 years, and, may you figure the way forward.

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #191 of 210
In a market dominated by shysters and shady practices the first thing that comes to mind reading this thread is that I simply love the honesty. Yes, it's brutal and doesn't necessarily always paint things in a rosy light but look around you folks, it ain't that rosy.

I bought my first high end headphones (Ety ER4P) from Headroom back in 2004 and they've stuck with me to this day. The same thing that drew me to Headroom way back then is the same today, they have the moxie to post real information the products that they carry. And more than that they don't always have glowing reviews of those products. Find me another site that not only has the volume of information you find there but information that is all real. It's the main reason that I continue to spend my money there.

So while I'm happy that Tyll got his dream job I hope the new guy piloting the ship understands what made and will continue to make Headroom a successful company. And I also hope to see Tyll at a few more meets. NYC in two weeks buddy, be there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #193 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tyll-hertsens-85.gif

"Guys, look at my removable belly button!"

ImaPoser.gif

I've started another thread on it, but it's worth mentioning here that we have a new home page up on our web site, and it's the direct result of the new management structure and capabilities.

It was great for me to spend a solid week just writing to future readers. Ivy did a great job with the graphical look and coordinating the content. Jorge made sure we were tipping in all the right cans. Matt was coding like a fool. And Travis kept the overall goal clearly in view and free from distraction.

Frankly, I'm pretty excited about what the future will bring for HeadRoom.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #195 of 210
I always loved the way HR does their product photos in nice big high res images. Glad to see it still there. Kudos to whomever does that photography!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back