I just got bribed
Aug 27, 2009 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

MrOutside

Banned - aka CDBacklash - aka girmanta
What does this site think about bribery, and shadow public relations?
This is coming off the bat of me once again being offered money by a particular company to give a favorable review on another website that I still write reviews for. This coming from a company I have not reviewed favourably in '04-'05 when I was into the whole review thing.

The same company has a member (maybe more than one) of their staff here, frequently recommending their equipment over alternatives.

The figure in question was fairly large considering it was just a review that would have taken me 15 minutes to pull out of my ass, reaching into 4 figures. I personally have no shortage of money at the moment, but I would have taken the money if I had greater respect for money, this sort of action or if I was struggling to get by.

I personally have no doubt that this sort of thing takes place here with more than one company and it is fairly obvious which companies. Not just cash, but also "free samples" (which I have also been offered in the past), as well as being offered "insider information" which has also been offered to me locally by a supplier.

Has anyone been offered a bribe here?
It's "clever" marketing, but pretty disgusting.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you don't wish to stick your neck out by outing the source of the bribe.

I am a relatively public reviewer on a particular site and run an audio-chain in the local area. Upsetting the company could hurt my business. I do not have any issues with money at the moment, but I'd like to keep my business afloat without a considerable blow to the revenue it generates. Hence the awkward user name, proxy, recent join date, and almost troll-like remarks: I've had enough. The product should do the talking, and attempting to mask the shortcomings of the headphone (and every headphone has some) is unjust.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 69
I am available for bribery if any companies are reading this. 500 bucks a pop and the chance to keep the product is good enough.

I will say things like: "It sounds nearly as good as the equipment costing 2-3 times as much", "The best value for money", or whatever else you want me to say.

Pm me for any inquiry.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am available for bribery if any companies are reading this. 500 bucks a pop and the chance to keep the product is good enough.

I will say things like: "It sounds nearly as good as the equipment costing 2-3 times as much", "The best value for money", or whatever else you want me to say.

Pm me for any inquiry.

You are joking though, right?
confused_face.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #8 of 69
BOSE ARE GREAT

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #10 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pm me for any inquiry.

ROFLMAO!

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOutside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does this site think about bribery, and shadow public relations?
This is coming off the bat of me once again being offered money by a particular company to give a favorable review on another website that I still write reviews for. This coming from a company I have not reviewed favourably in '04-'05 when I was into the whole review thing.

The same company has a member (maybe more than one) of their staff here, frequently recommending their equipment over alternatives.

The figure in question was fairly large considering it was just a review that would have taken me 15 minutes to pull out of my ass, reaching into 4 figures. I personally have no shortage of money at the moment, but I would have taken the money if I had greater respect for money, this sort of action or if I was struggling to get by.

I personally have no doubt that this sort of thing takes place here with more than one company and it is fairly obvious which companies. Not just cash, but also "free samples" (which I have also been offered in the past), as well as being offered "insider information" which has also been offered to me locally by a supplier.

Has anyone been offered a bribe here?
It's "clever" marketing, but pretty disgusting.

Shilling is not an allowable practice here, but it can sometimes be difficult to separate fanboys from shills, since shills aren't exactly volunteering their status. Since you seem to have the inside track on things, which is more than anyone I know has, why haven't you contacted any moderators or administrators with your suspicions and/or proof if you're actually concerned?

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 69
Thank you for the info.

The good thing about being an skeptic (with reasons to be so) is that you don't get bribed. But the good thing is that some companies might be loosing some potential customers due to what you say. Well, it is the price some have to pay for selling snake oil.

Even so, everyone has a price, and for them it might be an investment and for you a good way to get some nice cash. It is a shame that when money is at stake, morals are the last thing people think about...

Wondering what my price is
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 69
I've never encountered this but then again I am probably not worth buying...

A PR rep for a company whose product I reviewed on my blog once emailed me to ask me if I would be interested in getting additional products to evaluate. I declined the offer, but there was nothing untoward or sleazy about that (not like the Microsoft "here's a souped-up laptop for you to review Vista, returning it is optional, nudge, nudge, wink, wink" fiasco).

You should have reported the users misrepresenting themselves to Jude, but since you have made this public posting, that would expose you to the company's retorsion since they can now put two and two together, alias or not.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have reported the users misrepresenting themselves to Jude, but since you have made this public posting, that would expose you to the company's retorsion since they can now put two and two together, alias or not.

It didnt occur here, but Jude sure does get a lot of 'leaks' and is involved with a lot of "first listens" to promote a product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back