I just got a job!
Jul 3, 2007 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mrdelayer

100+ Head-Fier
My first real job, to be exact. (I was a busboy at a restaurant for two days out of each year for two years; I don't really think that counts.) I'll be working at 2Wire (yes, the company that makes DSL modems and stuff), doing tech support for either AT&T U-Verse or some other company. Not bad for having just turned 18 and this being my first real job I guess.
580smile.gif
(maybe now I'll be able to afford more of those!)

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 21
Congratulations and please make the most out of your salary and open some kind of retirement account. Specially if your company has a matching contribution. Putting $2,000 a year for the next 12 years will have you set for a very nice retirement. Do the math and you will see.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 21
either that or buy some new cans. bigguns. congrats!

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 21
Congratulations. Make sure you are always on time, project a positive image and get along with everyone. The more basic things like this are the most helpfull in career development!!!

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 21
Congratulations! Do you get any discount with any of those companies now?
cool.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations and please make the most out of your salary and open some kind of retirement account. Specially if your company has a matching contribution. Putting $2,000 a year for the next 12 years will have you set for a very nice retirement. Do the math and you will see.

I plan to do just that, actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! Do you get any discount with any of those companies now?
cool.gif

After 120 days I can get a $50/month reimbursement for broadband internet. I also become eligible for tuition reimbursement, which'll definitely come in handy. Off-topic: our usernames are quite similar.

To everyone else: thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 21
Congratulations! Make the most out of it, and get some work experience

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 21
Congrats!!!

I did tech support for a year, right after college for a Semiconductor fab robotics manufacturer.

Email was just starting to hit the scene too, so I was doing a lot of tech support on the phone and via email.

It was a very rewarding position, and trained me well in technical communications.

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 21
The other tech support they do is AT&T HomeZone, which is the department I'll be in. Seems to be the same as U-Verse, but with DISH Network instead of IPTV.

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #14 of 21
ConGRATS!!

its always nice to have some kind of work experience and it doesnt hurt to expand your social circle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back