I just don't trust these HD650s as being legit
Mar 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

milkweg

Banned
I mean, look at the price. [size=xx-small]CAD:[/size] [size=x-small]$437.85[/size] In Canada the HD650 cost between $600.00 CAD and $650.00 CAD (which is way overpriced by Sennheiser Canada themselves and not the stores) at any sore I have seen (online and retail) so how is it possible for this store to sell them for so much less if they are legit Sennnheiser headphones? I would love to buy them at that price but how can I be sure I am getting the real product and not a counterfeit? That store changed names recently too which also makes me a bit suspicious. They used to be called Minidisc-Canada.

HiFi Headphones

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 43
I guess fakers would rather make counterfeits of $200 and below headphones, like the Audio Technica ATH-ES7, which will meke them much more money in less time. The HD650, on the other hand, isn't sold in hundreds or thousands of units like cheaper cans. I, for one, bought my ATH-AD2000 off eBay: if they're fake, they're a hell of a counterfeit, build-quality wise. Everything is perfect. I don't enjoy their sound very much, but that's another story...

Of course, your worries are completely right, since you want to keep from being ripped off. But I think the probability of getting a fake HD650 from a decent retailer is very small. One thing you can do is read their return policies and make sure you can exchange them or get a refund.

Or... skip this retailer and buy from a well known store, if you want to have the ultimate peace of mind.
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 43
Well, peace of mind is nice but I might be willing to forfeit that if it saves me $200.00.
wink.gif

Sennheiser are apparently one of the more common brands of headphones that are counterfeited so I need to be careful. But you are correct that HD650 are probably not commonly counterfeited because they are beyond what most people are willing to pay at even $437.85 CAD.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 43
Do they have a return policy in case you're not satisfied with your purchase? That should give you the chance to get your money back...

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 43
Doing a search on their address via the Sennheiser dealer location finder, they don't appear to be an official dealer which might void the warranty (assuming you make the purchase). Why not order from the States? Already taking into consideration that the loonie dwindled against the greenback, I am pretty sure it is still cheaper down south. Still, if ordering from the states makes you uneasy, there are a few places that sell the HD650 for under $600 CAD.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, peace of mind is nice but I might be willing to forfeit that if it saves me $200.00.
wink.gif

Sennheiser are apparently one of the more common brands of headphones that are counterfeited so I need to be careful. But you are correct that HD650 are probably not commonly counterfeited because they are beyond what most people are willing to pay at even $437.85 CAD.

I wouldn't risk it, unless you can find some postings from other buyers confirming they are legit from this source. Also give Sennheiser a call, see if they have anything on file about this company.

Just for warranty's sake, even if they are real, buy from authorized retailer IMO. Warranties can be a pain in the arse in case something to ever happen, ya know?

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 43
You can ask the seller where they got it from. (Then verify that information independently).

It's only logical that Sennheiser only sells HD-650 to authorized distributors, and that we're dealing with resellers 1, 2 or 3 levels below the distributor levels which aren't on their list. The extremely cheap ones may have been gotten from liquidated shops, estate auctions or the likes. But I bet if you can trace their origin, they all wind up to 'authorized distributors' anyway.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerby88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doing a search on their address via the Sennheiser dealer location finder, they don't appear to be an official dealer which might void the warranty (assuming you make the purchase). Why not order from the States? Already taking into consideration that the loonie dwindled against the greenback, I am pretty sure it is still cheaper down south. Still, if ordering from the states makes you uneasy, there are a few places that sell the HD650 for under $600 CAD.

Like where? That store is the only one I have found that sells them below $600.00 in Canada. I bought my beyerdynamic DT990pro from the U.S. but it wasn't exactly a good experience and I see that store has now been removed from Amaozon.com as a dealer, probably because of complaints like mine about them.

It says they warranty them for 1 year and there are no refunds given.

"We guarantee all electronic products will arrive in working condition however all electronic sales are final. We cannot refund your order. This is because many products are very hard for us to obtain and often come from overseas. If a defective unit arrives you have 7 business days to return it after which we will send you a functional unit or issue a refund."

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 43
Well, given they don't actualy have a return policy (almost everything they say is "take it to the authorized service"), I would skip buying such expensive equipment from that online store...

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no fake hd 650, trust this or not...

Ditto - there is NO such thing as fake HD 650's!!!

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 43
But even if they're not fake, the buyer is taking the risk of getting a defective unit. The return policy gives the buyer only 7 days to return the product. That is, if the OP gets a faulty pair, he or she may have to call them in a hurry to get a RMA number. Also notice that they won't refund any purchased item. I've seen better return policies from eBay sellers.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, given they don't actualy have a return policy (almost everything they say is "take it to the authorized service"), I would skip buying such expensive equipment from that online store...

How do you figure they don't have a return policy? If they are defective they will either replace them or refund your money if it is within 7 days so that is a return policy even if it is a poor one. Sure, I can't return them just because I don't like them but that is not an issue for me and a lot of online stores charge up to 25% restocking fee to do that anyway. The price is very good for Canada so I must give them some serious consideration as a source. $200.00 less outweighs any return policy in my book. I just want to make sure they are legit.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto - there is NO such thing as fake HD 650's!!!

In China I hear you can get fake *anything*.
wink.gif
What is your basis of evidence that you know they are not fake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back