I just compared a STAX 007t and KGSS.
Nov 12, 2008 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DannyB

500+ Head-Fier
I just compared my STAX 007t with a borrowed KGSS using my OII. The KGSS seems to win out over the STAX as far as my preference; better detail in all areas but especially the low end. Music just seems to sparkle on the KGSS compared to the 007t yet it is not bright. The 007t appears a bit muddy overall.

I'm using RCA 6CG7s in the STAX so perhaps a little tube rolling may make a difference. Bottom line is the KGSS is more linear and enjoyable although I'm a tubehead at heart. Also, my experience is limited to short term listening so longer listening sessions may also yield a different outcome. Source used was a CARY 306SACD.

Any other people compare these two amps? Also, how does the KGSS compare to the KGBH?

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 7
No surprise really!
The Kevin Gilmore amplifiers are higher regarded than most Stax amplifier, probably besides the SRM-T2.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 7
For those considering, from my experience the 007t and KGSS differences shrink pretty dramatically as you move to other phones. I wish I liked the OII with either.
wink_face.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those considering, from my experience the 007t and KGSS differences shrink pretty dramatically as you move to other phones. I wish I liked the OII with either.
wink_face.gif

My life would be so much easier in this regard if I cared for any other phones...

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif

As you may recall, you and I feel the same way about the 007t. I was hoping that maybe the KGSS would give the O2 the kick in the pants I think it needs that the 007t wasn't providing. I take it from the above that wasn't your experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back