I just bought a MG Head OTL and it doesn't suck!
Nov 29, 2002 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

stinkfoot71

New Head-Fier
With all the negative posts I've been chewing my fingernails, but my MG Head arrived from Upscale Audio and works fine. No hum, no buzz, no channel irregularities, no crooked face plate, no ********. Sounds great with my HD600's For those of you on the fence, I wouldn't sell this amp or ASL short. Buy from a reputable dealer and if you do get a lemon, send it back and get another. FWIW when I ordered I asked the sales guy if they check these over before shipping because of the supposed QC issues and he said, "No, we've had very few problems with these amps".

Nov 29, 2002 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 8
*Walks in*
*Knees stinkfoot in groin*
*Takes his amp*
*Walks out*

biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 8
Maybe there are just some bad apples out there...mine's been great...PROTECTING GROIN AS WE SPEAK.

I was a little worried about a Chinese made amp...no offense to China but we have been indoctrinized to think that everthying has to be made in Japan or North America or Europe or else it will suck. Of course Sony is made in Japan and most of their stuff is suspect(except some ES)

and America is responsible for GM, FORD and Chrysler. Looking at the consumer reports WORST USED cars and all of them are from these manufacturers...no Kia or Hyundai were listed...now that's funny.

Anyway, perhaps ASL has a higher error rate. It would seem that a batch of them would get sent to a dealer. So if the dealer gets a bad BATCH, then when you return you bad unit they will send another unit from the defective batch...which of course gives you another bad unit.

Or maybe one of the assembly workers isn't as good as one of the others.
confused.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 8
Mine is almost perfect. The only irregularity is the type on the face plate is a tiny bit crooked. Oh well.. it sounds amazing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 8
In my part of the world, other than the higher end models, most of the Sony stuff are made in Malaysia or other parts of Asia other than Japan. Heh, if everything was made in Japan, they would be really priced out of the market!
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 8
I just got mine last week and it's awesome. I asked Alan at AUDIOWAVES to inspect/play mine before shipping and he e-mailed me stating the Mg Head was perfect.NO hums/Buzzs!

The last two years I've been using a Creek OBH-11 with Senn 580's. About a month ago I bought the Beyerdynamic DT-831's.The MG Head w/Beyer combo really sounds great!!!The Beyer's were a bit bright with the Creek.

Get Ready FOR TUBE ROLLING......

Nov 29, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 8
I never had any humming or buzzing problems with mine, mostly cosmetic (faceplate, crooked feet) but I still don't enjoy the tube sound as much as my solid state amp. I think the batch of mg's sent out at the same time as mine were the ones with the quality issues, maybe after so many complaints they pulled their collective heads out of their asses and figured out what a good low priced tube amp could do for their company and decided to do the right thing and fix the qc issues once and for all....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back