I hope Aion kills World of Warcraft
May 14, 2009 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mbd2884

Headphoneus Supremus
Who else plays?

I played during Burning Crusade. Went from being completely new, to using a completely modified UI and all AddOns needed for raiding as either Holy or Shadow. Started with TK. Switched and hopped from guilds until I had cleared Kara up through Sunwell.

I decided to quit cause after Sunwell, I thought never again. 4-5 nights a week, 4 hours a week of wiping night after night on Twins and M'ru. Quickly cut down to 3 nights as I just stopped caring.

Then Lich King came out, I was looking forward to this 10 man thing. Thought, less time. Hmm was ok. Bored fast, and well players tended to also suck.

Quit for about 5 months back again. Geared up quick and back to healing/dpsing Ulduar. What a joke in comparison to Sunwell.

If it's easier should be less time? NO! Blizzard still manages to suck life out of the players. Hodir dailies, Sholazar Basin dailies. Still 2-3 Nights of raiding. Still have to get my freaking elixirs, potions and flasks made meaning flying around gathering herbs. The damn enchants and gems are expensive.

Oh well, who else still plays this game?

I'm looking forward to Aion where there will be similar game play with more air to air combat. And I just miss Guild Wars so much. Can't wait to wage wars again guild v guild Aion again. Instead of this who is the top Horde on server. Oh right, whatever guild has the most losers who want to raid 5-6 nights a week.

May 14, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 19
I never got into WoW. I did FFXI for a while. I signed up for a trial of WoW a little while ago, but my computer would not load the game (have gotten a new graphic card since). How lost would a newbie to WoW be at this point? Some people have been playing so long I don't think I could join now and even have a chance.

May 14, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 19
WoW is an easy game. There is a lot to learn, but once you do, it's a very easy game.

The PvP is very unbalanced now. Rogues pretty much have non-stop permanent stun on their opponents. The PvP is just dumb in this game. There are no Guild Wars. They have option for World PvP. And Im on a PvP server, the only PvP I see is when I'm just questing. A rogue stealths behind me and I just watch him stun my character and rape it. That's about it for PvP. The other time is just in Arena in which you need what is called resilience. Overall stupid.

The PvE is easy. You see debuff on your character good chance should either dispell it or move away from others, Blizzard predictably makes debuffs that spread to others. If you see fire from sky, move, ice from sky? Move. See a rune glowing on the floor, move. See boss, DPS. Damaging is just a series of spell rotation, pretty mindless and you have plenty of mods to tell you when to do what.

If you want to play, go for it. Just learn to manage your time. Everything in WoW is time consuming. There is almost no instant gratification. You want gear, farm badges, may take weeks. Want a gear from boss, literally may take months. Want repuation with a faction, again be about a month. Doing your dailies and whatnot for reputation may take at least an hour or more a day. Raids consume 3-4 hours on average a night. You have to prepare materials for it.

Want to PvP? Again a time dump. You have to just do tons of Battle Grounds and farm honor points. Hours for weeks at a time. Do dungeons to get badges to get some PvP loots that way. Then do Arena. Gotta find someone who doesn't suck. Play forever until you get your rating. Farm Arena points to buy your stuff. Even in PvP, it's just time consuming.

Overall WoW is a time dump and luckily I have been able to keep it at a casual level right now.

I'd say wait for Aion or just play FFXI until it comes out. Friends of mine we are just playing WoW until Aion comes out.

We also made a rule or agreement. No WoW or any game for that matter on weekends, only during the week when we probably be watching T.V anyways. That's my recommendation, limit WoW to when you would be watching T.V instead. If you got something better to do, do it. If you decide to raid, keep it to 2-3 nights a week. The content is so easy that there are plenty of guilds now only raiding 2 nights a week now. Overall, we are all just playing games we know and can relax with until Aion comes out. I won't lie, in my guild alone about 1/3 of us are just waiting for Aion.

May 14, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 19
I swore I wouldn't play anymore mmorpgs after City of Heroes but I have to say that I'm intrigued by The Secret World. It wont have levels or classes.

"We always wanted a different kind of online world, something scary and contemporary, something deeper and closer to our reality. Our goal now is to create a detailed world where players feel empowered and part of something big, something mystical and epic.” - Ragnar Tørnquist

D A R K * D A Y S * A R E * C O M I N G

May 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 19
I played and play world of warcraft, I raided for 2 years on a 60 then 70 hunters and I think it lost a lot of it's original charm to be more attainable to noobs in TBC. I had a lot of super duper cool equip in classic, which were all in the bank (around 60 epic items) 2 weeks after turning 70, I am only to assume the same thing happened to TBC epic with the release of WOTLK.

I now have a 64 paladin which I am leveling with friends, I feel as if the game got insanely easier. It took me 12 days to get my hunter from 1 to 60 in classic, with my paladin I am under 6 days and am already level 64 and I am solo'ing every single quest, even group quests!!!! It requires 2 people I just barge in and destroy everything without even drinking before... 3 people? I drink before and use 1/3rd of my cooldowns... 5 people? I just pop all my cooldowns one after another. Also making gold is so very easy, I had 1700g by the time I turned 60 AND they lowered the cost of mounts... like they said at blizzon 'just want to mash keys'... that's what it is dumbed down to, and I miss 40 people content.

May 15, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 19
I used to play WoW... Quit a while back after turning 80.. Very happy now :p

What is this Aion ?? Have to google it now..

May 15, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 19
Haha, I played up to Level 70 Dwarven Hunter, then kinda stopped because I decided to pick up another part time job....then another part time job....now I have 3 part time jobs (+1 on call part time job) that I do not have time to play anymore...

Miss it a little, but it gets boring fast

May 15, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 19
Used to play back in TBC days too though I was more into PvP. Never did clear anything past Tempest Keep but I was on a few 2k+ arena teams in seasons 2 and 3 though to be honest I was always undergeared and never the star player on the team (and I was a rogue besides which still sucked in S2/3, and it wasn't until the second half of S3 that RMP became so dominant). Gear > skill in WoW; I was good but I wasn't brilliant, and with bad gear I wasn't getting much fun out of the game since it was an uphill struggle to beat even mediocre players with really good gear, and the frustration got in the way of getting better at the game (as much as you could anyway, WoW has a ridiculously low skill cap). That, and most of the time was spent doing monotonous things like grinding honor gear in preparation to do the fun things, and if I want to do that I can just get a second job and have something real to show for it as a result.

I quit and never looked back. There were some fond memories but on the whole I'm much happier not playing. The thing is, WoW was a way of keeping in touch with a close friend that moved to the other side of the continent and when I quit it I started to lose contact with my friend also. So I may go back someday, but only for that.

I'm thinking of getting back into the game that I always liked with QuakeLive, but if I do that all of my free time will go out of the window. I was a pro-level player in Q3 and playing again will mean being sucked back into the community... which is one heck of a lot more intelligent and interesting than WoW, and hence harder to escape from
redface.gif

WoW will never be dethroned IMO and the only company that can make an MMORPG to match its success is Blizzard themselves. Every other MMO on the market can either try to copy the WoW formula and fail because it's not WoW, or it can try to appeal to a more specialized audience and do something different and fail because WoW appeals to the lowest common denominator and has a much broader player base. WoW has killed the MMO genre just as much as it has helped to popularize it.

May 15, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 19
damn, i feel a bit old. i started ultima online back when there was NO other option and after everquest and the myriad of other everquest and ultima clones, i was never happy with another online rpg. wow looks cool but has so little innovation or depth even when compared with the older rpgs. in fact, all that i have played until about 2007 has been dross when compared to manufacturing your own cooking pot, going to catch fish, frying the fish if you can make a fire, then stealing people's pets in cover of night and selling them on the black market.

ultima online ftw.

May 15, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I just miss Guild Wars so much.

Then play it again? There are still lots of people playing it, including me
biggrin.gif

I'm not going for Aion for the same reason I've never played WoW: monthly fees. I'd rather wait for Guild Wars 2, even though that will be a looong wait.

May 16, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 19
Rule of thumb for the mmo status quo: If there aren't gnomish motorcycles in a fantasy mmo then it won't succeed.

IMHO,

LotRO > WoW

EVE Online > all mmo's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back