I have the KSC-35's - should I bother with the Porta Pros?
Nov 27, 2002 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I found a set of Porta Pros at the local Radio Shack, on sale for $50 (Canadian). Seems like a great price, and these phones are getting hard to find in Canada.

Being the happy owner of the KSC-35's, and knowing both cans share the same drivers, is there any advantage getting the Porta Pros? I like the headband idea, but what about comfort? The KSC-35's are so light and almost feel like they're not even attached to my ears.

Also, has anyone compared the KSC-35's/Porta Pros/Sporta Pros?The latter have a bit more output. (103 dB @ 1 wW)

Opinions, please.

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 11
Superbaldguy
HI: You already have the 35s. Why not wait for the sennheiser PX200 to come out. They are supposed to be much better than any of the koss and they fold up flat. Read some reviews on them.

Nov 28, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 11
I just read the specs on the PX200's, and that new headphone seems like a winner. The 60-ohm impedance on the KSC-35/Porta Pro/Sporta Pro is not quite enough to use with a weak Sony MD headphone amp, so I think I'll keep using my KSC-35's with my PC speakers.

I might consider the new Senns when they get to North America......

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 11
ah.. just buy it.

you know you want to.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 11
I use the KSC-35 and Porta Pros for exercises. When I run
the Porta Pros stays on better, they work well with my Muvo.
When using the StairMachine or bicycles I put on the KSC-35.

Porta Pros have an emphasis on bass, both sound good
enough with a Muvo. For exercises, and on the road, these
are very light and satisfying. At home or work I use better
cans for improved sound.

If you own both you will find some ways to like both. It is
worth the money. Hope you find your enjoyment.

Dec 1, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 11
I own both (and have owned every model in the Koss line of headphones using these drivers) and if you already have the KSC-35, save your money. IMO the KSC-35 sound better (they don't emphasize the bass as much), and they are definitely better for active use, and they stay on much better than "over the head" headphones like the PortaPro.

Dec 1, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
IMO the KSC-35 sound better (they don't emphasize the bass as much)

Since both are the same except for the Portapro's headband, they should sound the same (I only have the Portapro). So it's probably the pressure to the ears which makes the Portapro's bass stronger. But you can adjust it by the «comfortZone» switch. And besides you can bend the headband according to your liking – so the bass should actually be the same with the same pressure.

I guess the only reason to buy a Portapro if you still own a KSC35 is the wearing comfort – if it's better with the former at all.

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
Since both are the same except for the Portapro's headband, they should sound the same (I only have the Portapro).

The also have significantly different enclosures. The different enclosure combined with the different fit (even at the "loosest" the PortaPros press against the ear harder) gives the Portas a lot more bass (too much, IMO). No matter how much I try to adjust the fit, that's the case.

Dec 1, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 11
MacDEF...

...their enclosures look exactly the same, if you imagine the Portapro's ring-shaped «concealing» baffle or bezel (how would you call it?) cut away – which is what I've done with one of my two pairs. So it must be the pressure alone which makes the difference... and probably an equal pressure as the KSC35's won't provide a stable fit anymore...

I also find the Portapro's bass too loud and always turn it down by 4-6 dB on my Archos MP3 Jukebox, the treble by 2-3 dB. That way it's a great headphone, and although the SR-225 or the ER-4S are better in every way, there's not a huge increase of listening pleasure with them, if at all. It's a totally different sound with this tone control adjustment – much more refined –, and not comparable to the comfortZone's loosest adjustment. I would say: on a $200 level. Honestly.
wink.gif

BTW: I'm glad you've come back from your temporary retirement!

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Dec 2, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 11
Hey everyone.. I'm new to this board so I don't know whether this question has been addressed or not already but its semi-related to this thread. I currently own the KSC-50. I am pleased with the sound I get from my 50s.. but I wouldn't mind taking it up another notch if its possible. Do the portapros offer any advantages over the KSC-50? I know the KSC-35 model is suppose to be superior because of the fit, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the market. Thanks!!

midson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back