I have the Beyerdynamic DT990 250Ohm version, would it be worth it for me to get an amp?
Aug 13, 2015 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jacoblab1

New Head-Fier
I currently have the headphones stated in the title. I don't have any issues with volume, they are plenty loud which I think might be due to my motherboards built in sound card (Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition)

I am wondering if it would be worth it for me to get something like a Fiio E10/7 and if so, which one should I get? Thanks!

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 7
Maybe you would be better off with an O2 (the one with the built-in ODAC). Just my opinion, though.

If you need portability and can increase your budget a little, the iBasso D14 looks extremely promising.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 7
  I currently have the headphones stated in the title. I don't have any issues with volume, they are plenty loud which I think might be due to my motherboards built in sound card (Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition)

I am wondering if it would be worth it for me to get something like a Fiio E10/7 and if so, which one should I get? Thanks!

Don't know your sound card, but this 250 Ohm can needs an amp to be properly powered--regardless of (and in addition to)  the volume level.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Another vote. But I would recommend saving a little more so you can buy a little better than the E10K or E07K. Just so you don't end up feeling its only an incremental upgrade. The ODAC/O2 mentioned is nice. The Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 is another good option.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 7

Some of those "600 ohm amplifier" motherboards do sound really good.  A Fiio E10 or similar might probably be a downgrade in power output.  

Though my phone might be able to make a 250 or even 600 ohm headphone loud enough, but that doesn't mean my phone is a "600 ohm amplifier" because it still wouldn't sound as good as it could.  It can be hard to find actual mw output specs on those motherboards.

I probably wouldn't bother with a different amp unless you get one quite a bit more powerful than an E10k. 

Does the DT990 sound good out of the motherboard?  I'm guessing it probably does.  Would it sound better with an O2 or similar?  I'm guessing most likely.  Would it sound a lot better?  That's a good question.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 7

Does the DT990 sound good out of the motherboard?  I'm guessing it probably does.  Would it sound better with an O2 or similar?  I'm guessing most likely.  Would it sound a lot better?  That's a good question.

Yeah I think it really depends on how closely you listen, and also on the quality of the recordings you're listening to.  My Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD is a better DAC than any onboard sound, and even my lowly Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 with stock opamps showed sound stage improvements.  Replacement opamps took the sound stage and especially imaging to another level.  But these improvements are less noticeable on things like 160 Kb/s MP3s, and most noticeable on lossless music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back