I have reached portable nirvana, have you?
Mar 18, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #31 of 42
You're right Sweet Spot, mine came with 2 sizes of the Comply tips. However, the only tips that fit my ears are the largest silicon ones that ship with the Shure's, so I am using them. I have a whole bag of Complys just sitting in my Pelican case unused
rolleyes.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity
If you don't use them can I buy them off of you?

PM me, I'm heading back to my apartment now from a long day on campus, I'll get back to you later
wink.gif

On another note, have any Karma/UM2 owners tried the EQ settings Boodi and myself posted? I want to hear some impressions
icon10.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Good to hear Ken! Glad you're happy with the E5C's, seems like you had a rough time deciding on which ones to get.

I guess it finally got to the point that my brain said it wants "detail" but my ears just said no. The ety's are great but after a bit, they began to wear on me. Finally gave in like I did with the cd3k's and sold them. Just figured the next step would be the E5's and I must say that the sound is, indeed, "full bodied". Yeah, I know it's the EQ nut in me but I do like the bass and mids on the E5's. So far, it's been pretty nice especially now that I've figured out how to seat those suckers in my ears! Believe me, I really began to wonder.

Also thought about the Westones and some customs like the Sensas and UE models but knowing how fickle I am and how I like to swap out gear, I figured there was little need or reason to paint myself into a $1000 corner like that. There's always something newer/better that I'll want to try. So far, the Shures have found themselves a home. They don't have quite the isolation the ety's did but still, I do like their presentation. One nice thing about not having an amp is that I'm forced to spend time with the Karma/E5 combo and really get to know it.

Mar 18, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #35 of 42
I came across these settings at various sites and kinda liked them. Occasionally, I'll tweak things a bit but generally, these do the trick for me.

Code:

Code:
[left]12K +3 1.2 2K +1 1.2 400 -2 1.2 120 +8 .8 60 +8 1.0[/left]

Code:

Code:
[left]12K +6 1.2 2K +3 1.2 400 +5 1.2 120 +5 .8 60 +7 1.0[/left]

Code:

Code:
[left]12K +8 1.2 2K +5 1.2 400 -4 1.2 120 +11 .8 60 +11 1.0[/left]

Mar 18, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #36 of 42
Thanks Ken, I'm trying these out right now, I'll report back
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: For a change, I'm using the Line Out on the dock with my Millet and HD580's
600smile.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #37 of 42
Thaddy,

FWIW, the first setting is my favorite. Some guy who was into recording came up with them. Figured he'd probably have a good ear and an idea or two about eq's so I gave 'em a try. Not bad. Personally, I have zero patience for tweaking eq's so I really depend on the hard work/ears of others. Just lazy I guess.
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Thaddy,

FWIW, the first setting is my favorite. Some guy who was into recording came up with them. Figured he'd probably have a good ear and an idea or two about eq's so I gave 'em a try. Not bad. Personally, I have zero patience for tweaking eq's so I really depend on the hard work/ears of others. Just lazy I guess.
tongue.gif

I tried all them out, and liked the first the best as well, but it had way too much bass for my liking. I ended up tweaking the second one a bit more too (less bass) to be better for rock, with more aggressive mids.

Mar 18, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #39 of 42
I'm getting close now...

I just put money down on a used iMP-550. Shoud be here next week some time. Using the optical out I'll run that through the HeadRoom Overture DAC. That will be plugged into the XP-7 for now, or maybe the Porta Corda II. Perhaps, I'll end up using the Larocco Pocket Reference when it gets here or maybe the ugraded SuperMacro, which should arrive in a few days. If any of those amps don't do it for me, then maybe I'll sell what I have to, to get the SR-71. I know the HD 25s are sounding nice now with the HeadPhile cable.
icon10.gif

Now, to start testing some cables, oh, and I'm going to need a really nice bag to organize all of this so I can still get away with calling it portable. Oh and I'll also need....*walks away muttering to himself*

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #40 of 42
This is what I'm using for my um2's, though I haven't experimented all that much. I'll try those out soon, I'm interested in what they sound like.

Code:

Code:
[left]12K +6 3.0 2K +5 1.6 400 0 1.2 100 +1 1.0 40 +3 2.4[/left]

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #41 of 42
My portable audio nirvana consists of my Iriver IHP-120 and Shure E5C. I realize that with an amp the E5C will sound better, but carrying an amp will kill the purpose of portability. I like the E5c for its full bodied sound. I found the bass to be quite amazing. It also has smooth presentation with good midrange quality. The high is a little lacking to my ears. My Eq. on my iRiver is Bass of 10 and Treble of 6. I'm a bass head!!
basshead.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
My Eq. on my iRiver is Bass of 10 and Treble of 6. I'm a bass head!!
basshead.gif

basshead.gif
WHOA
basshead.gif

I remember pumping up the bass on my H120 with the E5C's and UM2's, you are nuts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back