I have reached portable nirvana, have you?
Mar 17, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #16 of 42
Thaddy and Jmmmmm could you please help a fellow um2 + karma user out? What EQ settings do you guys use? I don't use any at all, and I'm still very satisfied. But, c'mon, EQ is Karma's untapped potential.

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #17 of 42
I'm pretty happy with my portable rig. Doesn't keep me from thinking about getting UE-Pro though.

Kinda fitting though - desire causes suffering. To reach nirvana you must abolish desire.

Wish I had done that at the iPod + Sony EX-71 stage. Was pretty happy then with that. My wallet was happier too.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity
Thaddy and Jmmmmm could you please help a fellow um2 + karma user out? What EQ settings do you guys use? I don't use any at all, and I'm still very satisfied. But, c'mon, EQ is Karma's untapped potential.

I'm still experimenting, but right now I'm listening to some Dream Theater and my settings are as follows:
Code:

Code:
[left]10K +3dB 2.5K +2dB 600 +1dB 150 +0dB 40 +2dB[/left]

I would be interested to see more Karma EQ's for the Westone UM2's or the Shure E5C's...

edit: And here is another I'm listening to:
Code:

Code:
[left]10K +3dB 2.5K +1dB 600 +3dB 150 +0dB 40 +0dB[/left]

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #20 of 42
Code:

Code:
[left] Center Width 10K 4.0 2.5K 4.0 600 4.0 150 4.0 40 4.0[/left]

Mar 17, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #21 of 42
I have my portable nirvana with 4G iPod --> Supermacro V3.0 --> Ety ER-4S

I could not image anything being better.
cool.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #23 of 42
iAudio M3 + Westone UM2 = Audio Nirvana.

There is a hiss with UM2s as they're so exquisitely sensitive, but the hiss is insignificant, and when you play the music the hiss is gone. Seems to occur when the playback is not engaged, but once playback engages (music) the hiss seems to disappear.

Looking forward to ordering a new set of UM2s and giving these back to my friend. I believe these can be used to do monitoring and mixing.

Mar 17, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #24 of 42
On the average I spent about 2-3 hrs a day travelling and walking while listening to my portable.
That is the only time I use headphones, so I need a comfortable fit and pleasant non fatiguing sound; sometimes, f.i. on flihghts I listen 10 >14 hrs.
So I also need good batterylife.
remember; for edge of the seat/headbanging and other exciting sonic fireworks I use my hifi.

It took me some time but now I'm happy with my E3 and Sony HD-NW1.
The comfort was finally reached after a lot of experimentation: medium soft gray tips, chord down and backwards and the y-piece in my collar on the back, left and right reversed.
The E3 un-Eq-ed sound mid/midhigh forward, I use EQ settings +2/+1/0/-1/-1/0 to get a pleasant, slightly dark sound with none of the artifacts I usually dislike when EQ-ing.

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Ahh, excellent post...however, the Karma and UM2's are nothing new to me. I've heard both extensively, but not together. It's like tasting the best beer in the world with a horrible steak, and then tasting the best steak with some crappy Bud Light. Then, that moment where you get to taste both together...pure bliss. It just took me a while to realize what I liked
cool.gif

You just keep on saying that to yourself...
biggrin.gif

Eventually, you will go for the SR-71 or another big amp. Then you will realize the faults in your headphones, and will upgrade to some IEMs. And it just keeps on going......
I know what you mean when you talk about putting two good things together though.

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghart999
I have my portable nirvana with 4G iPod --> Supermacro V3.0 --> Ety ER-4S

I could not image anything being better.
cool.gif

I hope I cannot imagine anything being better.

I am on the path to mobile nirvana. I have a 4G iPod and Ety ER-4Ps. I have a Supermacro v3.0 on order and had my earmolds made for custom ear pieces for the Etys. So hoefully when the custom earpices and SM3 arrive, I will be in nirvana.

rob
etysmile.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #27 of 42
3G iPod > EX71

i'm quite happy with the sound so i dont see any reason for me to upgrade to anything more expensive. i do have a Headsave Go-Vibe amp, but dont bother carrying it with me.

so i guess its "cheap" portable nirvana for me.

Mar 17, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #28 of 42
HI thaddy , I'm on karma + um2
I've come using a weird combination after fooling a bit on the eq set
still experimenting though

Code:

Code:
[left] 20k +7 2.0 3.5k +8 2.4 1k +2 1.6 500 +2 1.0 45 +6 2.0[/left]

Mar 18, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
You just keep on saying that to yourself...
biggrin.gif

Eventually, you will go for the SR-71 or another big amp. Then you will realize the faults in your headphones, and will upgrade to some IEMs. And it just keeps on going......
I know what you mean when you talk about putting two good things together though.

Reasons why I don't want an amp, especially an SR-71:
1. Way too bulky. I don't care for the size of it, and I don't feel the gains (sound-wise) are worth the extra bulk.
2. WAY too expensive. I heard it with my E5C's, and while I agree it sounds nice, it's not worth $400. I mean, $400...come on? My Millet cost half the price and sounds better to me.
3. I've tried plenty of portable amps, they just don't blow me away enough to keep them. Plus, I hate buying all those damn batteries
evil_smiley.gif

About IEM's though, I never said that I will not be upgrading to them. However, it's not even close to being feasible for me to afford them, so why worry about what I'm missing? If I land a job out of college that requires me to travel, I'll certainly jump on a set, but until then, I have no desire.

So, until then, it's UM2's + Karma
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: Boodi, I just loaded up your EQ and toned the 2.5K down 2dB, and it's sounding pretty good with Dave Matthews - Listening Supported. Nice!

Mar 18, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #30 of 42
Hey Thaddy, sounds like you're very happy, which is great..congrats. I just read a nice little review on the Westone's , and was wondering which ear foam tips came with yours ? Check this out: Upgrade foam tips

I think these sound like great canals, and want to take the plunge soon. Thanks for your comments on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back