I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Nov 23, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #2,596 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct. The difference is not huge, but it can be noticeable with better quality recordings. Think of it this way, a very high quality amp takes the SQ of the X and sort of expands on its strengths. Soundstage gets more encompassing, and deepens, and bass gets deeper as well. Those are the two biggest areas of change that I hear. If I had to quantify the amount of quality gain I hear, I'd say about 10-20%... The ALO Rx is also a very nice match with the X and takes it to another level. The X does sound so good on its own that when you go back to listening it alone, it quickly becomes enjoyable again.

Since the Shadow is on loan over The Pond, maybe soozieq can describe what she's hearing with it now too.
biggrin.gif

I would say the same sort of percentage as well with my Naim, not huge, but enough to make a difference, it just emphasisis on what is already there by tightening things up, a bit more control, openess, and slightly more information revealed with some intrument's, treble is more clearer & concise, bass is more controlled with a bit more range and the midrange is clearer also.

Still good with a seperate amp, but is a testamony really how good the X amp is to be able to go back to HP out and enjoy the sound direct without feeling your missing something.

I contemplated a RSA amp just before i got the X (that is where the RSA money went!) would love to get the Shadow with it's digital volume, good as it is, but is a lot of money for a portable amp and what extra gain % wise might be had bearing in mind how good the X amp is by itself, wandering if i could justify the £'s for it at the moment.

It's basically the same as the P51 Mustang isn't it? just even smaller with that redisigned volume setup config.

No doubt it would be a shot in the arm used with my Touch though as that would benifit from been plugged into a fridge let alone an amp! lol

I feel the urge for another pair of iem's to join the fold at the moment!

Question is which one's?
smile.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #2,597 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the Shadow is on loan over The Pond, maybe soozieq can describe what she's hearing with it now too.
biggrin.gif

On loan??? What??! But he's happy here, he even has his own little sleeping bag... and I renamed him 'Shady'
ksc75smile.gif

Anyway, I agree with what you said. There is an improvement all round, it's like the X's good points are magnified. But unless people had other gear to use the Shadow with (like you do), I'm not sure that $400 for a 10/20% improvement could be justified for use solely with the X. And although I notice the difference when I go back to the HP out, it's really not that noticeable after a couple of songs. Funny how audio memory can adapt so fast. Or maybe it's just that the X amp is so good anyway, that it doesn't take a lot of adapting. I know I like Shady when I'm using him... but I don't miss him when he's gone to bed and it's just me and X
icon10.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #2,598 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On loan??? What??! But he's happy here, he even has his own little sleeping bag... and I renamed him 'Shady'
ksc75smile.gif

Anyway, I agree with what you said. There is an improvement all round, it's like the X's good points are magnified. But unless people had other gear to use the Shadow with (like you do), I'm not sure that $400 for a 10/20% improvement could be justified for use solely with the X. And although I notice the difference when I go back to the HP out, it's really not that noticeable after a couple of songs. Funny how audio memory can adapt so fast. Or maybe it's just that the X amp is so good anyway, that it doesn't take a lot of adapting. I know I like Shady when I'm using him... but I don't miss him when he's gone to bed and it's just me and X
icon10.gif

Yeah, that's how I hear it too. It is a bit of a steep cost just for that 10-20% bump in sound. But since I use the X most of the time at my desk while I work, I really get to enjoy the results for long listening sessions.
ksc75smile.gif

Glad you're enjoying Shady.
wink.gif
Hope I don't have a ransom to deal with. Ha ha ha!!!

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #2,599 of 3,761
soozieq, I agree re the amp in the X - its a cracker. I find the advantage of using the T3 with my Classic much more obvious than it is with the X, and I put that down to the fact that Apple are putting underpowered amps in their players, IMO, probably in response to past litigation launched by iPod users who blamed Apple for their hearing loss.

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #2,602 of 3,761
Walkman "NW-X1050 / X1060" body of software version "1.10" will provide a program to upgrade.
For this upgrade, you will ask a series of operations required to run the upgrade program to customers.
Read the following description, thank you to run the upgrade program would appreciate this.
※ "X-application" and "WALKMAN Launcher" by the automatic software update feature, console software version "1.10" has been updated to our customers, the execution of this program is not required.

対象製品
· NW-X1050, NW-X1060

アップグレード内容
・ Improved performance of the Internet. * 1
・ How to Find the Music "folder" is added. * 2
・ The display of icons link Random link "Microsoft Live Search" from the "Bing" has been updated.

*1 Internet performance is improving following content.
- Shorter time to complete the Web page display
- Faster scrolling
- Improve the performance of Web page layout reproduce
- Frame structure with improved ability to view Web pages
*2 "Folders" search for
Search Menu "folder" will be added. "Folder" and select the search, the screen lists the folders are listed by name, file name appears in the following order. If this is not case sensitive.
"Folders" in the search, Windows Explorer uses to display the list screen by drag and drop music transfer. x-SonicStage V application or transfer songs are not included.

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #2,603 of 3,761
It has been released for the European versions as well:

Digitale Audioprodukte Â*|Â* NWZ-X1050Â*|Â*Kunden-Support-Webportal von Sony Europa
Contents of the upgrade

This firmware update improves the following performance:

* Displaying and navigating Web sites will be improved.

Note
“NetFront" browser installed in your device will be upgraded with this update. After the upgrade, the browser will not display Thai language fonts anylonger. If you want to be able to display Thai language fonts, do not perform this update.

Nov 26, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #2,604 of 3,761
well, well,well!! I have got my Sony X walkman nwzx-1051 about 1 month ago.. and since i have been listening to it a lot!!! This is really the first device for me that dazzle me a a lot!!!
it has excellent sound quality, super fast touch interface, nice youtube integration and much more....I can hear so much details from my low end iem now, creative ep-630.. It can also drive my grado sr-80 fine.. I think the X sound has grown on me in this one month and noticed that I can't go back to my ipod 5.5g...

i would like to thank soozieq and cn11 for their suggestions..
sorry for late reply..
one more thing i would like to share that packaged sony buds are good but not that great, they are also not comfy and don't fit well in my ears..
I would like invest in decent iem for X some day, so guys ur suggestions please..

Nov 26, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #2,605 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by viv_72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like invest in decent iem for X some day, so guys ur suggestions please..

Great to hear you like this fabulous DAP! About the recommendation for IEM's: what's your budget/ favourite music/ favourite sound signature?

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #2,606 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great to hear you like this fabulous DAP! About the recommendation for IEM's: what's your budget/ favourite music/ favourite sound signature?

well my budget is 100 US dollars max. I like listening to all kind of rock music, alternative and some hip-hop and rap also.. I like a bit forward sounding signature, not too laid back or veiled sound.

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #2,607 of 3,761
At this pricepoint there are dozens of choices. The Klipsch S4 is one of the first that comes to mind. But you really should read the portable headphone forum to make your final choice.

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #2,608 of 3,761
I bought one of these yesterday - haggled the guy down to £185 for the 32Gb model.

Have been following this thread for 6 months, and knew that the browser sucked and that I was never going to use NC or the included buds for anything.

Have to say I'm really impressed with the sound - a lot fuller and richer than my old S639.

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #2,609 of 3,761
Updated mine to 1.10, waste of time imo. I don't use the web browser so nothings changed for me.

Why the bloody hell didn't they fix the album art scrolling lag and give us flac support? I was all excited.
cry.gif
Meh, I'm going to raid the fridge for marrs bars now.....
ghey.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #2,610 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Updated mine to 1.10, waste of time imo. I don't use the web browser so nothings changed for me.

Why the bloody hell didn't they fix the album art scrolling lag and give us flac support? I was all excited.
cry.gif
Meh, I'm going to raid the fridge for marrs bars now.....
ghey.gif

Yes Neeley, you would think all the well highlighted issues/ suggested improvement's we have all be banging on about the last few months on here would have been incorporated, even though i think Flac is the one thing Sony will never change?

You think someone also from Sony would read these damn threads and have the common sense to appease us all with a worthwhile firmware upgrade and we can all sigh, that bunch of tech guy's at Sony actually do listen to us customers and fix/improve all our woes with the player!

What it would be like to have all the chink's in the armour taken out of this player would be an early christmas present for us all. lol
tongue_smile.gif

Aything like the Firmware upgrades that Sony release though for their Cell phones to fix bugs brings a new one for every two that are fixed!

Finger's crossed for the next FW upgrade then?
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back