I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Dec 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #3,676 of 3,761
Does anyone know what DAC is used in the X1000s?  I've been searching all over the place, but nobody seems to mention. (at least that I can find)

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #3,677 of 3,761

Quote:
Does anyone know what DAC is used in the X1000s?  I've been searching all over the place, but nobody seems to mention. (at least that I can find)

The X1060 uses a digital amp; couldn't that mean there is not an DAC at all in it?
Most digital amps accept digital signals and 'convert' them on the end transistors, so there is not really a conventional DA-chipset inside.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #3,678 of 3,761
Really?  I didn't think it was feasible to make a DAP with no DAC.  For some reason I thought the X had one of those Wolfson DAC's inside it but I'm not exactly an expert on this sort of thing.

Quote:
The X1060 uses a digital amp; couldn't that mean there is not an DAC at all in it?
Most digital amps accept digital signals and 'convert' them on the end transistors, so there is not really a conventional DA-chipset inside.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #3,679 of 3,761

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I've had my X for just over a year now, it still sounds mind-blowing, so what do I do?

I buy another one, so I have two now, just incase something happens to one of them or the battery dies ect..

Now I'm thinking of buying the A845, even though people have commented on the sound not being as good as the X...

Anyone actually got the A845?

I am contemplating this too, but have a hunch whilst Sony have been in technical advancement limbo on their Walkman range the last year that something special as an X replacement touch screen (my guess it might be android with app's like the new Samsung models out)  must be in the pipeline for release next year so will be holding on tempting as it is to find another 32gb X. (despite worrying reports of volume capping from now on)

My dad got a A845 for X-mas from Santa lol, not heard it yet (properly to compare to my X anyhow) and if i heard my dad right he said there is a option to only charge the battery to 90% full to conserve battery's life, which is maybe from experience with what has happened from the last lot of models battery's dying like on CN11's.
But it is weird there would be an option like that so it preserves the life of the battery which is strangely ironic in a many way's.  

When i see my dad next i will prize it from his hands for a while to compare.

Quote:
I'm waiting for Cowon X7 and will Sony announce a replacement for X player at CES?  I'm staying tuned...

Better be bloody good with the non show from Sony in the last year with there lack of involvement on the Walkman front, I do not include the A845 released then re-released this year with yet the 32 & 64 gb to be readily available to us all properly yet. 

Quote:
If you buy the A845, make sure it's not the volume-capped model. There's a thread somewhere on here about the new A series. Sony decided to (kindly) extend the volume limiter once again to those of us outside France, so unless you get one from the US when / if it's released there, you might have issues with it not being loud enough.

There are a lot of complaints about it on ABI. Luckily, my X is still going strong with almost the same battery life it's always had, but I do worry about it dying at some point, and not having a replacement for it. But there's no way in hell I'm getting one with a volume limit.

Worrying times if Sony will be capping all future models for good with no bypass in the service menu like has happened with the A845 model as i have found out now my dad has got one after telling him don't worry there is a hack for that to de-cap the volume limit, er... no dad there seem's there is not for once! on his first and probably last Walkman as well then as my dad has one ear lower on hearing anyway! 

How did our X models get away with been de-capped again?

I would say maybe all the company's should have the balls to just boycott selling their daps in europe over this stupid EU reg, but it seems it may be Sony have over limited the unit also from some account's. Or should we all sign a disclaimer before buying saying we vow not to sue you Sony when we go deaf! - Just when i go blind trying to watch videos on a 2.7 inch screen only! : : )

Shoot all EU idiots that justify their job with such utter B******* rules they berate on us consumers!  : ((

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #3,680 of 3,761

Quote:
FortisFlyer75 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Worrying times if Sony will be capping all future models for good with no bypass in the service menu like has happened with the A845 model as i have found out now my dad has got one after telling him don't worry there is a hack for that to de-cap the volume limit, er... no dad there seem's there is not for once! on his first and probably last Walkman as well then as my dad has one ear lower on hearing anyway!   

Hi FF,

Ours weren't capped because the volume limiter was still restricted to France when we bought them. But some owners unwittingly bought their X's from online UK stores which were selling the crippled ones, and there were major complaints about the low volume.

As for the decision to limit them once again in the EU, I don't get it. They did away with it about 4 years ago? Since then, they've come up with some great daps, the S700, A800, A820 etc, all UNcapped. Now they're going to cap them again, so anyone with demanding headphones can look elsewhere, and anyone who wants some spare headroom can look elsewhere too.

My music is split into really loud recordings, normal recordings, and some really quiet remasters. With the quiet ones, I sometimes need to go to 26/30 - so where would that leave me on a capped model, 54/30?
confused_face%281%29.gif

Hey Chris, you may as well get the J3 so at least you have something to use when your X finally sings its last note. And if I remember, when you tried out the S9, it drove some of your more demanding phones with no problems at all.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #3,681 of 3,761

Quote:

Quote:
FortisFlyer75 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi FF,

Ours weren't capped because the volume limiter was still restricted to France when we bought them. But some owners unwittingly bought their X's from online UK stores which were selling the crippled ones, and there were major complaints about the low volume.

As for the decision to limit them once again in the EU, I don't get it. They did away with it about 4 years ago? Since then, they've come up with some great daps, the S700, A800, A820 etc, all UNcapped. Now they're going to cap them again, so anyone with demanding headphones can look elsewhere, and anyone who wants some spare headroom can look elsewhere too.

My music is split into really loud recordings, normal recordings, and some really quiet remasters. With the quiet ones, I sometimes need to go to 26/30 - so where would that leave me on a capped model, 54/30?
confused_face%281%29.gif

Hey Chris, you may as well get the J3 so at least you have something to use when your X finally sings its last note. And if I remember, when you tried out the S9, it drove some of your more demanding phones with no problems at all.

I don't get it either? : }, I would say it is "almost", but it is beyond belief why the EU are carrying out this legislation and as much so why Sony have taken away the "your not supposed to know about the service menu disable option, but is there if you really want to so be it on your head"!

I originally got my X from Amazon UK, guess i was lucky they did not supply me with a French roll capped!
I am trying to remember now if my old HDD-3 & 5 Walkman's had the limiter but was also still able to disable the volume cap with the service menu.

I have got this gut feeling the reason we have had to wait two years possibly with hopefully what ever will be unveiled at CES in January is because there will be a replacement X that will be slightly bigger touch screen to compete with the Ipod Touch and will run android os so it can again compete on the same level with having apps on board.

This may be wish full thinking on my part, but even if Sony do bring a worthy X successor ( that we all crave for)  i will have to think seriously twice about buying it if it is going to be volume capped and with prices been premium when new i don't think i would be willing to fork out over £300 - 400  for say a new 64gb X from Japan/China with potential language implications on those models.

Guess we can only live in hope for now, maybe i will go on Sony on Facebook and rant on their wall about it as i think some others have done i read somewhere, shame there is not one main big petition against volume capping players that we can all sign against those busy bodies at the EU!

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #3,682 of 3,761
Computer speak in digital 0/1 and sound are analog wave, so there must be a process of converting 0/1 data into analog wave. I *guess* the digital amp in Sony work with the digital info to enhance it but still going through an analog amp like volume control etc.

Quote:
Quote:

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #3,683 of 3,761
There is a way around capping by putting in a region setting or of cause by having the option in the service menu, but Sony is too either too STUBBORN or STUPID.
There are still some A828s and A829s around in FS and Ebay
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #3,684 of 3,761

Quote:

Yeah, I probably will wind up with a J3 to kill my curiosity about it. The S9 sure did work well with harder to drive phones, and I think it sounded a bit better with the IE8's than the X, since it added just a touch of edginess or crispness that the IE8's could benefit from....

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #3,685 of 3,761
Hi, recent lurker (about 4 months), first time post. I recently bought the Sony X1060 almost 3 weeks ago (one of the last ones left). It didn't come with a screen protector, so I ordered one from Rearth along with the soft case (I also ordered the soft case and clear plastic hard case from United Integral). The only thing I've managed to do is charge the battery, stick on the screen protector, place the unit in the hard plastic case and program the FM presets in almost 3 weeks! I need to start using this thing to make sure everything works in the next 10 days. I only have about 30 audio files (used WMP to rip some CD songs to 192kbps WMA) (and some MP3's from Winamp bundle). I just downloaded Media Monkey and used it for the first time today. I have no idea which is better to use MP3 or WMA - I wanted to use 320kbps and CBR. I might re-rip my 192 kbps WMA files to 320 kbps MP3s. My unit had the 1.02 firmware on it and I updated to the 1.10 (from Sony Canada). I checked and Sony US has a new firmware 1.11 for those interested:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=NWZX1061&LOC=3 

I also bought the Sony docking station - however inorder to use it, I have to remove the hard plastic case, and I can't get the thing to come off!  I managed to get a Boxing day sale present - the Monster Turbine Coppers - just got them today. I'll be trying those out soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #3,686 of 3,761
@TheNightStalker- Congrats!  

I am only using WAV files on my X, but you can load up some files in 320 and some in WAV and see if you find a difference.  

I did think that I heard a difference for some music and so I just decided to keep everything in WAV and have less music on the X.

Also keeps things simpler on my computer.

The X with Coppers is probably a very nice combo.  The Coppers always sounded appealing to me but I already have IE8 and TF10.  Next step, customs...

You may have one of the last X players, enjoy it.  It straps nicely to an amp if you have to listen with bigger cans but it just sounds great with iems alone and is so portable.

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #3,687 of 3,761

Quote:
I have no idea which is better to use MP3 or WMA - I wanted to use 320kbps and CBR.

at 320kbps they're virtually the same (codec differences at such high bitrates are almost non-existent), but at 192kbps CBR you're better off with WMA (or, better yet, get the LAME mp3 encoder and use a lower quality VBR)

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #3,688 of 3,761
Quote:
@TheNightStalker- Congrats!  

I am only using WAV files on my X, but you can load up some files in 320 and some in WAV and see if you find a difference.  

I did think that I heard a difference for some music and so I just decided to keep everything in WAV and have less music on the X.

Also keeps things simpler on my computer.

The X with Coppers is probably a very nice combo.  The Coppers always sounded appealing to me but I already have IE8 and TF10.  Next step, customs...

You may have one of the last X players, enjoy it.  It straps nicely to an amp if you have to listen with bigger cans but it just sounds great with iems alone and is so portable.

I have just read a little on portable heaphone amps and since I've just starting out, if I decide to get one, it would be way down the road. I don't think I need one for the Monster Coppers though. 

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea which is better to use MP3 or WMA - I wanted to use 320kbps and CBR.

at 320kbps they're virtually the same (codec differences at such high bitrates are almost non-existent), but at 192kbps CBR you're better off with WMA (or, better yet, get the LAME mp3 encoder and use a lower quality VBR)

I'll try to do some listening tests in the next few days. I bought a bunch of CDs from Boxing Day sales and I'll rip some songs from those and try those out. Thanks guys.
smile.gif

Does anyone know how to remove the clear hard plastic case from the X? I want to try the Sony docking station. I might go with the soft silicon case if that fits with the docking station.

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #3,689 of 3,761
Congrats on the new X, I've had mine for a year and a half now and still its one of my faves.  I do have a silicon Tuff Luv case that I love and I also have the docking station, I always have to remove the case to get it in the docking station. Sorry, no help on the hard case.
I think the best way to go is with the lossless WAV format, which MediaMonkey will support, if you are ripping from the CD anyway. I have my CDs ripped to FLAC on my computer and then MediaMonkey will convert to lossless WAV (or a lower rate) when it copies the music to my Walkman

Quote:
Does anyone know how to remove the clear hard plastic case from the X? I want to try the Sony docking station. I might go with the soft silicon case if that fits with the docking station.

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #3,690 of 3,761
For anyone interested, my Sony X1061 (the American 32GB version) is up for sale: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/532571/fs-32gb-sony-nwz-x1061-no-volume-cap-like-new-includes-original-sony-leather-case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back