I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Jan 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #2,897 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Le /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine too thanks to soozieq (public thank you, I concur with Cosmic Fool, it was a pleasure), and so far I really like it, the menu's scroll very fast, and overall the UI is pleasantly refreshing after 5 years of iPods
smily_headphones1.gif
Took ages to load it, but since I won't do that on a daily basis it's not a problem, bit annoying though. Oh, I love how small it is but still feels very solid due to it's weight, I think it's very well designed.

Ah, I actually thought LewLewZ was you.
biggrin.gif
The double 'Le' in his nick confused me. It's great you got your X too and like it very much. Have fun with it! Just beware not to listen too long: yesterday I've hardly put them off and late at night my ears were ringing. The X is just so addictive!

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #2,898 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
The double 'Le' in his nick confused me. It's great you got your X too and like it very much. Have fun with it! Just beware not to listen too long: yesterday I've hardly put them off and late at night my ears were ringing. The X is just so addictive!

Ha ha, I got confused with the ID thing too
biggrin.gif

And yes, the X is addictive
eek.gif

As for the touchscreen, I think you'll find it easier the more you get used to it. I have 'swiping' down to a fine art now and can 'guess' where I'm going to land most of the time. And I really like the A-Z search across the top too, makes finding things so much faster.

dura - now I remember about the whole standby thing! I'd forgotten. That explains why sometimes it returns to the last song - and other times I get the 'every moment has its music' message. My 706 can't be switched off at all, I have to 'pause' it, and then it goes into standby later.

Anyway, I'm going to make some playlists on the X now. We're snowed in so I can legitimately waste time and not feel guilty - not that I ever feel guilty about wasting time, but hey, it's good to have an excuse!

FF - Don't you just want to jab a fork in the album art every time you see the same song show up when it's switched back on?
mad.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #2,899 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
H
As for the touchscreen, I think you'll find it easier the more you get used to it. I have 'swiping' down to a fine art now and can 'guess' where I'm going to land most of the time. And I really like the A-Z search across the top too, makes finding things so much faster.

I am feeling more and more confident with the touch controls. I compared them to the touchscreen of a Samsung mobile phone (from my sister-in-law) and the X is much better in this respect: more accurate and faster. About the A-Z search: how does this work? Is it pushing one time for the 'A', two times for the 'B', and so on?

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #2,900 of 3,761
Quote:

About the A-Z search: how does this work? Is it pushing one time for the 'A', two times for the 'B', and so on?

That would take years to press them individually
biggrin.gif

Slide your finger along the dotted lines (in between the A-Z), and just put enough pressure on the screen to get a smooth flow across the alphabet. You'll see the letters pop up as you scroll across, then you can select which one you want.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #2,901 of 3,761
It works! It's pretty easy too. Can't believe I didn't found this myself. The tapping-method was rather slow indeed.
atsmile.gif

Thanks soozieq!

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #2,902 of 3,761
you can also jab at the letter you want..since 123 A and Z are the only ones listed it can be an estimate but can help jump a big gap fom A to R or whatever

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #2,903 of 3,761
Any Mac-users with an X on Head-Fi? My Mac Mini has trouble with disconnecting the X correctly. It works but the 'Walkman' volume doesn't dissapear when I disconnect the X with 'Remove Media'. Every time I get an error that says that I am not disconnecting it the right way. Does this sound familiar to someone?

Edit: Found the solution! When disconnecting I have to pull the cable very fast from the DAP (in between the disappearing and reappearing of the volume 'Walkman'). I hope this doesn't sound too abstract for most of you. :wink: One can never know if this information can be useful to another X-owner with a Mac.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #2,904 of 3,761
Does anyone know how Clear Stereo works? The manual says it independently processes left/right channels. Is it just some fancy EQ settings or more involving than that?

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #2,905 of 3,761
just trying out the X's included earphones for the first time since getting it about 3 weeks ago. I must say they are very...'engaging'. Bass is nicely in check, mids are quite forward but not to the point of distraction, treble isn't 'alf bad, suprising amount of detail and an average IEM soundstage. add in the fact that they are actually the most comfortable IEM I've ever used bar customs, and they isolate very well with NC off.....best OEM headphones evaar

edit: infact these are pretty damn good IEM's...

certainly mid forward and thats bringing out alot of detail I've been missing recently. but nicely forward

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #2,906 of 3,761
Quote:

biggrin.gif

super IDs confusion
darthsmile.gif
?
my friends do call me LewLew so i just added a Z to my username
wink_face.gif

Yeee i'm loving my X, i mean I LOVE IT, have them on for another 9 hours today (and yes listening atm i'm typing
k701smile.gif
), the battery life is good !!
I know i can't but i want to bring it with me to the bath
ksc75smile.gif

Ohhh i just can't put the X down
triportsad.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #2,907 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyway, I'm going to make some playlists on the X now. We're snowed in so I can legitimately waste time and not feel guilty - not that I ever feel guilty about wasting time, but hey, it's good to have an excuse!

FF - Don't you just want to jab a fork in the album art every time you see the same song show up when it's switched back on?
mad.gif

More like put it in a toaster until it pop's up all done, nice & toasty
devil_face.gif

But i know id regret the moment i had done that having a melted X!
Fork please...

You dont need an excuse to waste time, better to waste time than do nothing
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just trying out the X's included earphones for the first time since getting it about 3 weeks ago. I must say they are very...'engaging'. Bass is nicely in check, mids are quite forward but not to the point of distraction, treble isn't 'alf bad, suprising amount of detail and an average IEM soundstage. add in the fact that they are actually the most comfortable IEM I've ever used bar customs, and they isolate very well with NC off.....best OEM headphones evaar

edit: infact these are pretty damn good IEM's...

certainly mid forward and thats bringing out alot of detail I've been missing recently. but nicely forward

Are you listening to them now, as you know it will be the last time you will hear them like that before the god of all iems lands on your doorstep and you never look back
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #2,908 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you listening to them now, as you know it will be the last time you will hear them like that before the god of all iems lands on your doorstep and you never look back
ksc75smile.gif

I am lol. Well there will be situations where the 13's won't be appropriate, I travel alot with my IEM's and sometimes I get 10 minutes here and there to listen in a cramped space (London Underground for example) and I almost had my S2's broken a while back because the wire got snagged on someones bag. No biggie for a £20 IEM but not sure I want a £900 IEM to be snagged on someones bag! lol.

After more listening to the OEM phones I can't quite decide on them. They have quite a similar sound signature to the Beta Brainwavs in that the upper minds especially female vocals are extremely forward and this kinda annoys me a bit but unlike the brainwavs it doesn't make the lower mids and treble appear flat, and the detail is quite remarkable. The bass is also very nice on the Sony's, they are defo a clear class above the Brainwavs. But the sound is very 'commercial' and coloured around the mids. They are much better than Meelectronics M6's in terms of fullness of sound and richness, I always found the M6's to be quite thin but highly detailed, these are much thicker and slightly less detailed but detailed enough.
I don't think these are as good as the S2's, the S2's once opened up have a remarkable instrument seperation and soundstage given the tiny size of the drivers, and a beautifully textured bass. Mids are much flatter than these Sony's but thats not a bad thing because the upper mids/vocals are not screaming in your ears but blended nicely into the mix.

However, as IEM's go, these aren't your usual OEM earbud, these are actually very decent and I would place them above many big bang for buck IEM's I've heard..these are in another league to Shure's ~£60 SE210's (not hard though), and like I say better than the M6's in alot of areas. If you had just the money for an X and not earphones, you won't be disappointed. If you have the money for just an ipod touch and no earphones...well...
seems Sony can say 100% that thats one thing the X does better than the touch

Oh and I'm using them without NC'ing so to anyone who doesn't own the X and is reading this..if you can pick these up cheap on ebay or from another head-fi member who doesn't want them...do it. I give them the GCSE thumbs up
icon14.gif

edit: ooo god I really don't want these to be better than the S2's, the mids are quite grating in comparison but the detail is rather good and I just stuck on Lolipop by Lil Wayne and the bass is pure smooth as cream. If I had to choose one word to describe these IEM's I would say 'cream' (and I mean that in the texture sense..get your dirty minds out of the gutter)

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #2,909 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am lol. Well there will be situations where the 13's won't be appropriate, I travel alot with my IEM's and sometimes I get 10 minutes here and there to listen in a cramped space (London Underground for example) and I almost had my S2's broken a while back because the wire got snagged on someones bag. No biggie for a £20 IEM but not sure I want a £900 IEM to be snagged on someones bag! lol.

After more listening to the OEM phones I can't quite decide on them. They have quite a similar sound signature to the Beta Brainwavs in that the upper minds especially female vocals are extremely forward and this kinda annoys me a bit but unlike the brainwavs it doesn't make the lower mids and treble appear flat, and the detail is quite remarkable. The bass is also very nice on the Sony's, they are defo a clear class above the Brainwavs. But the sound is very 'commercial' and coloured around the mids. They are much better than Meelectronics M6's in terms of fullness of sound and richness, I always found the M6's to be quite thin but highly detailed, these are much thicker and slightly less detailed but detailed enough.
I don't think these are as good as the S2's, the S2's once opened up have a remarkable instrument seperation and soundstage given the tiny size of the drivers, and a beautifully textured bass. Mids are much flatter than these Sony's but thats not a bad thing because the upper mids/vocals are not screaming in your ears but blended nicely into the mix.

However, as IEM's go, these aren't your usual OEM earbud, these are actually very decent and I would place them above many big bang for buck IEM's I've heard..these are in another league to Shure's ~£60 SE210's (not hard though), and like I say better than the M6's in alot of areas. If you had just the money for an X and not earphones, you won't be disappointed. If you have the money for just an ipod touch and no earphones...well...
seems Sony can say 100% that thats one thing the X does better than the touch

Oh and I'm using them without NC'ing so to anyone who doesn't own the X and is reading this..if you can pick these up cheap on ebay or from another head-fi member who doesn't want them...do it. I give them the GCSE thumbs up
icon14.gif

edit: ooo god I really don't want these to be better than the S2's, the mids are quite grating in comparison but the detail is rather good and I just stuck on Lolipop by Lil Wayne and the bass is pure smooth as cream. If I had to choose one word to describe these IEM's I would say 'cream' (and I mean that in the texture sense..get your dirty minds out of the gutter)

Maybe i should give my X buds a try whilst i wait for jh fund to ecumalate for an internity, they only got 5 minutes testing with the nc noise on to see if they worked.

I would sue the person who had the bag
bigsmile_face.gif

I always wear my cables under my shirt so it is not loose on the outside.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #2,910 of 3,761
Hmm yeah, music > sleep, had to get up at 7:00, put X away at 04:30, and somehow, I overslept
redface.gif
Bit sad about the loss of on the go playlists (didn't know it, but apparently I used that quite often) and gapless, but I have a phone to cover live and gapless albums
smily_headphones1.gif
Small thing that I don't really like is that when you go to music, you go to the playing song, not the artistlist. Excellent batterylife, and I can't stop going through the complete UI :p No comparison to my iPod because well, I haven't touched it since I got this one. Ok, he is as good as dead, but now I don't regret that as much anymore
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back