1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by soozieq, May 14, 2009.
First

Back
165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174
176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185
Next

Last
  1. dissembled
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    *1 Internet performance is improving following content.
    - Shorter time to complete the Web page display
    - Faster scrolling
    - Improve the performance of Web page layout reproduce
    - Frame structure with improved ability to view Web pages
    *2 "Folders" search for

Is the browser finally usable now? The firmware's not available yet in America so I can't see for myself.

I'll be honest and say that I'm a wee bit excited.

2. estreeter
    FLAC on a player from the kings of proprietary audio ? Bwahahahahhahahahahaha [​IMG]

Even though I am chewing through the storage on my X with WAV files, its so much better than anything else I have - yes, I'd like FLAC too, but I wouldnt hold my breath.

3. bakhtiar
    Sony supports Open and Free Standards? Ha ha ha ah ... No way, they are same as Microsoft. They may use open standards internally, but, not publicly, so hypocrite. [​IMG] Wait, they don't care about us... they only care about $$$. But I cannot deny that they make good products and made us happy [​IMG].

4. Canman Contributor
    I was concerned about hiss with IEMs due to prior mention somewhere (I think?) as well as some hiss with the included earphones. However, I am using my dad's Shure E4c at the moment and there is no hiss.

5. Akash
    Would be interesting to know how people are charging their Sony X?
    Charging once battery has finished or charged in between ect ect...

Also I use WMA VBR(Ripped at over 300kbps) which does use the battery more, but I don't mind as long as Sound quality is there.

What do you use??

6. DVDIT
    I recently bought the RE0 and I enjoy them so much, I now got the itch to upgrade my MP3 player. I currently have the Cowon X5 which does sound excellent but I am wondering if there are new players out there that are significantly better than the X5 in sound quality. I was thinking of the Cowon S9 but not sure how much of an upgrade that would be from the X5. The other one I am looking at is the Sony X series. Any recommendation for a 32GB player that tops the X5 in terms of sound quality. Willing to shell out up to $400.00 for the new king of the hill player but of course I would like to spend less. Thanks.

7. cn11
    DVDIT-
    I suppose it depends on what sort of sound signature you're after. I have the Cowon S9 and the X1060, and find the S9 just a tad more 'mechanical' sounding. The X by comparison is more on the fluid, organic side, with nicer separation and resolution within the soundstage.

8. DVDIT
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    DVDIT-
    I suppose it depends on what sort of sound signature you're after. I have the Cowon S9 and the X1060, and find the S9 just a tad more 'mechanical' sounding. The X by comparison is more on the fluid, organic side, with nicer separation and resolution within the soundstage.

From your description the X series is more close to what l prefer in sound signature. I like silky smooth sound with least amount of digital sound possible, more like tube sound, slightly warm and yet still very detailed and crystal clear not forward in your face presentation. Fluid would be the right word here. I also like wide soundstage and excellent bass, controlled, that hits hard down low with a slam but one that is not over exaggerated. Is there such a player ?

9. FortisFlyer75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Akash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Would be interesting to know how people are charging their Sony X?
    Charging once battery has finished or charged in between ect ect...

Also I use WMA VBR(Ripped at over 300kbps) which does use the battery more, but I don't mind as long as Sound quality is there.

What do you use??

As i have the NWU-5 charge dock next to me when using my laptop it is always topped up on charge ready to go, batery life is good as when new.

I to am starting to use WMA VBR in the last few days after using AAC for a while and noticed you can have the WMA at 48khz setting also,

...but i seem to have a problem with my tracks not been in the correct order as the original cd displaying on the X which is leaving me a bit confused as the id tag settings are exactly the same as they where for when i had it decoding in AAC. I am using DB Power amp.

This is annoying me at the moment and cannot rip anymore songs until i know what i am doing wrong! [​IMG][​IMG]

Does any one know why this is happening and how to correct this issue?

10. soozieq
    FF - how have you set up your dBpoweramp to rip? I only have problems with WAV files in WMP. They all have '0' before the title and display alphabetically until I number them. Is that what you're seeing? Alphabetical order instead of track order? Ripping to wma in dB shouldn't result in any problems with track order. Can you post a screenshot of the settings you're using? I think mine is set to track > title.

Akash- I rarely let my battery run flat. I charge it in my CPF-NW1001 cradle which plays and charges at the same time.

11. tstarn06
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I recently bought the RE0 and I enjoy them so much, I now got the itch to upgrade my MP3 player. I currently have the Cowon X5 which does sound excellent but I am wondering if there are new players out there that are significantly better than the X5 in sound quality. I was thinking of the Cowon S9 but not sure how much of an upgrade that would be from the X5. The other one I am looking at is the Sony X series. Any recommendation for a 32GB player that tops the X5 in terms of sound quality. Willing to shell out up to $400.00 for the new king of the hill player but of course I would like to spend less. Thanks.

Unless you need a browser (that stinks but I see Sony has tried to fix it), I have the S9 and recently had the Sony X 1061, also owning both at the same time. I wound up sending back the X. Agree that the Sony has excellent SQ, but I don't find the S9 mechanical/digital at all. I like the open source Cowon mentality, the ability to play flac, and I also like the fact you can change the UI if you want. I didn't use either for video, because I have a netbook for that. And I can't speak for the X5, but I spent a lot of time listening to both players and decided the S9 was the better value (if you live in the U.S.), and is on par with the X SQ-wise. Just another POV. I was listening to a lot of jazz vocals tonight and there was nothing too digital about the sound coming through the S4s, other than the tracks themselves being digital.

12. bakhtiar
    ^^^ Agreed. The 'close'ness and less flexibility are the problems with the X. I only focus on SQ, and the X wil stay with me, until I found a good alternative.

I think netbook is very a good choice. Good screen size, much faster CPU, much larger storage, and more software selections [​IMG], and the best thing is, it can use the external USB/DAC heapdhone amp for better sound quality.

Thank you, [​IMG]

13. soozieq
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I like silky smooth sound with least amount of digital sound possible, more like tube sound, slightly warm and yet still very detailed and crystal clear not forward in your face presentation. Fluid would be the right word here. I also like wide soundstage and excellent bass, controlled, that hits hard down low with a slam but one that is not over exaggerated. Is there such a player ?

I had the S9 for 2 weeks and listened to it extensively so that I could give it a fair review. The S9 went back and I still have the X. They're both great players, no doubt about that, but the S9 definitely had a slight digital haze to my ears. The X has no haze at all (with the W3, C710 and S4), and after some burn it, the sound really opens up.

If lossless support is something you want, forget the X! If on-the-fly playlists is something you want, forget the X!! If tweakability is something you want, forget the X. If browsing is something you want, well, to be fair, it's fine for checking email and stuff, but doesn't hold a candle to the Touch in that respect.

The S9 has more EQ options, so if you're someone that likes to play around with sound settings, you'll like the S9. It sounds very dull on a flat setting, but has so many enhancements, you'd be hard pressed not to find one that you could live with (if you can get past the digital sound). The X sounds great straight out of the box.

The X touchscreen has a much faster response time than the S9, and although you can't change the UI (like you can with the S9, I installed the CLAW UI on mine), it's dead easy to navigate through thousands of songs very quickly. All your browsing options are available at the bottom of the screen via the permanent magnifying glass icon. The S9 requires more touches to get to where you want, and I found that irritating after a while.

So, a lot depends on your own preferences, and of course the phones you match with the players. But for SQ alone, the X still reigns supreme to my ears. I was never bothered about being able to tweak the UI, or playing around with a zillion sound enhancements. I only cared about the sound quality and how fast I could navigate my library, and the Sony ticks all the right boxes for me. However, they're both very good players, and if you're lucky enough to match one of them up with the 'right' phones, you'll be in seventh heaven [​IMG]

14. Akash
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    As i have the NWU-5 charge dock next to me when using my laptop it is always topped up on charge ready to go, batery life is good as when new.

I to am starting to use WMA VBR in the last few days after using AAC for a while and noticed you can have the WMA at 48khz setting also,

...but i seem to have a problem with my tracks not been in the correct order as the original cd displaying on the X which is leaving me a bit confused as the id tag settings are exactly the same as they where for when i had it decoding in AAC. I am using DB Power amp.

This is annoying me at the moment and cannot rip anymore songs until i know what i am doing wrong! [​IMG][​IMG]

Does any one know why this is happening and how to correct this issue?

Hi FF,
    I've never used AAC or DB Power amp. I use Cowon-Jetaudio lastest version which is free to download from the net. You can rip your CD's to WMA, other formats as well (FLAC, OGG ect ) but NOT mp3! But the ripped quality of the WMA is very very good,
    Never tried AAC so I would'nt know.
    Is DB Power amp available free from net??

15. Akash

I charge once the battery has finished, or near the end - (one bar) I use a NWU 5V Charger.

First

Back
165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174
176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185
Next

Last