I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Sep 18, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #2,311 of 3,761
So this wednesday I went and bought a Cowon S9 to replace my sony X. Don't get me wrong, the cowon sounds really good. However, the screen and UI sucks compared to the X. The screen is not very sensitive and IMO slugish. Apparently theres this Claw UI which people rave about, so I downloaded it, and realized it would require some study. Don't have the time. The sony sounds better than the s9 (to me) and although the difference between the two is not really worth 100+ dollars, I returned the s9 and paid my sony tax. Somebody recommend me a case please? I don't want to drop and break this one.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #2,312 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I see in the other thread that some of you are ditching your X's for the new non touch screen A and NW series walkmans?

Shame on you.
smackbum.gif

I hope Sony drop the X series so you can't come crawling back to our owners club.
chuckle.gif

I find that the new Sony DAP look ugly as compared to X.

Anyway, just like to check anybody experiencing song completed playing but will not automatic go to the next one on the X1060 ?

Thanks.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #2,313 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the X for the SQ and I got what I asked for. I had a chance to try out S9 and thought the sound was too hollow and didn't match up with X. Zune HD's also disappointing because it sounds identical to Zune 120.

The best alternative for X at this point would be Sony's new 64GB A series..same S-master amp, much thinner model. 64GB or 128GB X would be a dream come true, too.

Yes. If the 64GB model didn't have the S-master amp, I wouldn't be interested in the slightest. If a 64GB X was released, I'd be all over it like a rash, 'cos I prefer the build and aesthetics of it to the A. I don't like my daps to be wafer thin anyway, but I need the Xtra space
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by akasan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So this wednesday I went and bought a Cowon S9 to replace my sony X. Don't get me wrong, the cowon sounds really good. However, the screen and UI sucks compared to the X. The screen is not very sensitive and IMO slugish. Apparently theres this Claw UI which people rave about, so I downloaded it, and realized it would require some study. Don't have the time. The sony sounds better than the s9 (to me) and although the difference between the two is not really worth 100+ dollars, I returned the s9 and paid my sony tax. Somebody recommend me a case please? I don't want to drop and break this one.

I downloaded the Claw UI too but I didn't study it enough to make it work any better than the regular UI. It was nice to be able to choose the icons I wanted on the main screen - but it didn't make it any quicker for me to access the music. There were too many steps involved. From that point of view, the X is much easier to navigate and it's much quicker to get to where I want.

As for cases, there's the official Sony clear hard case, plus silicon and leather cases. Search the thread for 'case' and it should bring them up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that the new Sony DAP look ugly as compared to X.

Lol!!
jecklinsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, just like to check anybody experiencing song completed playing but will not automatic go to the next one on the X1060 ?

I take it that when you said the end of a 'song', you meant album? If so, I've noticed the same thing. It doesn't continue to the next one like my previous Sony daps, although I don't think my A829 went to the next album either. I wonder why continuous play was dropped in the first place
confused.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #2,314 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it that when you said the end of a 'song', you meant album? If so, I've noticed the same thing. It doesn't continue to the next one like my previous Sony daps, although I don't think my A829 went to the next album either. I wonder why continuous play was dropped in the first place
confused.gif

I am referring to play track. Most of the time, it will go to the next song but sometime it's just stop there & u need to forward to the next song yourself.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #2,315 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the X for the SQ and I got what I asked for. I had a chance to try out S9 and thought the sound was too hollow and didn't match up with X. Zune HD's also disappointing because it sounds identical to Zune 120.

The best alternative for X at this point would be Sony's new 64GB A series..same S-master amp, much thinner model. 64GB or 128GB X would be a dream come true, too.

Yes my sediments lol exactly mad dog
icon10.gif
I tried the new zune HD briefly yesterday and was really underwhelmed. The screen and GUI are amazing, but the lack of a tactile volume button and the flat sound really put me off. I actually thin my old zune (16 gig flash)sounded a bit more lively.

It sounds good, just not X good
icon10.gif
It didn't have the body and 3D like quality that the X has, even though it had a slightly wider stage. plus the X sounded (of course) less digital and more lush, and there is not dap I have found that keeps everything as separate (resolution) than the X. Nothing get mushed up on the X no matter how 'busy' the material
icon10.gif

Everything remains distinct, as Duncan said every note is surrounded by an inky blackness
icon10.gif

If I never had the pleasure of hearing the X I shirley lol
wink.gif
would have been more impressed by both the S9 and Zune HD's SQ. Also I was looking at the possibility of the new zune to replace my touch 8 gig as my internet dap lol, but the zune browsing experience just didn't compare
frown.gif

The new sony A model is looking like my next purchase, just because it has the S master and 64 gigs and I'm out of space on my X lol
wink.gif
icon10.gif
The 'A' should last me for a while, but I though the X would and pretty much every other previous dap I've had. I guess that's just the way she goes in this hobby lol..... um obsession
L3000.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #2,316 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

confused.gif

Hey soozieq am not sure but perhaps you guys need to select 'All Range'. Just go to the 'options menu' > 'Playback Range' and select 'All Range'. Whenever I have this enabled albums are played in succession.
wink_face.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #2,317 of 3,761
Does anyone know where I can get objective measurements of this device, such as THD, noise floor, channel separation, frequency response, etc? There seems to be a pretty strong consensus on this forum that the player sounds "good," but those measurements would be nice to have so that I can find out at least what order the player's sound quality is on. Are its distortion, noise, etc. levels on par with those of other PMPs, or are they more in line with the measurements of external portable DACs? I understand that measurements don't tell the whole story. Some types of distortion are more obtrusive than others, but if one device has orders of magnitude less distortion than another, you can be sure that its distortion will far less obtrusive.

So, anyway, I'd like to see some measurements so that I can know what class to place this player in. If it's really good, I might use it instead of using another player with an external DAC.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #2,318 of 3,761
Hi dear fellow X'oholics,

I have been long user of my beloved and adored x1050. I've been listening to it with my Sennheiser CX500 IEMs, but nowadays I hear that ie8s are excellent pair with our Xs. I have no complaint with cx500s other than sometimes they sound microphonic. So my q is: is it wort upgrading from cx500s to ie8s? keep in mind that this upgrade will be very very costly for me...

regards

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #2,320 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi dear fellow X'oholics,

I have been long user of my beloved and adored x1050. I've been listening to it with my Sennheiser CX500 IEMs, but nowadays I hear that ie8s are excellent pair with our Xs. I have no complaint with cx500s other than sometimes they sound microphonic. So my q is: is it wort upgrading from cx500s to ie8s? keep in mind that this upgrade will be very very costly for me...

regards

You get a little better 3D and more accurate/define high+mid+bass with JH13 but that thing costs more than $1100 plus if you have a fitting issue with your custom, it becomes a nitemare. My Jh13 went back for a refit and some people request multiple refits which would take months.

I have been using IE8 and I believe it is a good combo. You would be amazed by their synergy. Defintely a upgrade from CX500.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #2,321 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kwang411, how does X sound with CK100 after X's amp burned in? Still a bad combo if compared to A728?

After some mental burn in, I guess I got used to the sound of CK100 + X. The overall sound is definitely even crisper and cleaner than that of A728, which also means that the combo is less engaging. For female vocals (Jpop/Cpop) it's better, but i think sometimes it makes male vocals a bit too thin.

I used to EQ 0.4kHz to +1 with the A728, but now i think it sounds more natural at 0 on the X. Clear bass is still set to +2 or +3, depending on what song i'm listening to. To me, i think CK100 is able to strike a very balanced sound after EQing.

and X should come with a couple more custom EQs!! I use it with IE8, CK100, and the stock noise cancelling headphones, and they all need diff EQs to suit my taste...

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #2,323 of 3,761
Hi,one thing i must have bookmarked at some point:-

Audio Specifications

Must admit even being a Engineer & reasonably techy,read a fair bit,experimented(not top end measureing equip)etc,tend to sway more on peeps opinions etc,rather than numbers.Same with freq response curves,bass etc roll off etc.My ears & audio equipment are limited at the extreme ends,minute perceptable variations etc,at least,i would imagine.

Cheers BOB

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #2,324 of 3,761
I'd love an X that was 64GB and lacked the WiFi/internet functionality - basically, the X version of the new A. That would be a great player.

What I would miss if I did get an A is the touchscreen - I use it to go to albums all the time. I'm not sure I'd want to go back to clicking to get somewhere.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #2,325 of 3,761
FenderP, one of the realities of the DAP market is that they will *never* make the player each of us would like to see, and we probably couldnt afford it if they did. HiFiMan is the classic example - Fang has gone all out to produce something that will blow minds, but how many will eventually find homes with production runs of 10 per month ??

Anyway, back in the real world, a pox on Sony. And Grado.

I had no intention of spending any more on audio this time two weeks ago, and here I am with a pair of SR325is on my head and an X-Series blasting out various metal faves. Yes, its the best I've ever experienced from anything even remotely portable, but we are talking something close to 1200 Aussie dollars here, people.

Ok, the Grados will last me for some years, but I agree with Uncle Erik that spending real money on something that is designed to die within a relatively short period of time is nuts. If, like the iPod Touch I tried to audition, Sony didnt have any tunes on their player it might all have been different. Head-Fiers will talk about various things being rolled-off, or harsh in the mids, or whatever : the simple fact is that our ears know what sounds good straight up, and this delivers.

I had read a stack of reviews, but couldnt help thinking 'it cant be that much better than my NWZ738 !' : lets just say that the latter is more forgiving of some of my lower-bitrate stuff, but dial in the 320K material and Sony have turned it up a notch. As I said earlier, sublime.

Now, back to being sorry for my wallet. Damn Sony and Grado fanboys - see what you've gone and done
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back