I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Sep 12, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #2,296 of 3,761
AVHub - Hi-Fi - News Articles - Walkman X Wins EISA Award
[size=medium]

Walkman X Wins EISA Award
[/size]

IgnitionSuite_Image(8331).jpg

Date: Friday, 11 September 2009
The European Imaging and Sound Association has announced the Sony Walkman X series NWZ-X1050/1060 as winning the European Personal Media Player 2009–10 award

The Sony X Series player has a 75mm OLED touch screen plus built-in Digital Noise Cancelling, an S-Master digital amplifier, plus DSEE and Clear Audio Technologies. It also offers wi-fi for YouTube streaming and browsing the web. The EISA Judging Panel commented: ‘This is the world’s first media player with noise-cancellation in-ear phones, which effectively cuts background noise. Loading files on the unit is easy. Also easy is to navigate and to play them. In addition there is a Wi-Fi connection for browsing the web, for direct podcast downloading or for watching YouTube while, for example, listening to an FM radio station. The device supports a huge collection of media file formats, including MP3, Linear PCM and AVC (H.264/AVC). In either of its two versions, 16GB (NWZ-X1050) and 32GB (NWZ-X1060), this player offers excellent sound, a beautiful GUI and very good video performance.’

‘This result at the 2009–2010 EISA Awards proves that Sony’s product innovation is of the highest global standard,’ said Paul Colley, Technology Communications Manager at Sony Australia. ‘Even though the EISA Awards are given to European products, Sony’s Australian customers can be confident that their purchase has been endorsed by an independent, highly respected source.’ The NWZX1060F sells for $699 and the NWZX1050F for $549. Both models have been on sale in Australia for some time.

EISA is the largest editorial multimedia organisation in Europe, with a membership of nearly 50 audio, mobile electronics, video and photo magazines from 20 European countries. This year’s award winners were selected after the deliberations of a judging panel comprising journalists and independent technical experts.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #2,298 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Booda-
Do you still have the Sony X? I'm curious because I'm wondering if you have it on hand to compare to the amp3 side by side... I ask because in comparing it to the amp3 I heard things completely opposite. Actually, I'd rate the three DAP's like this:

Sony X > Cowon S9 > amp3.

While I realize these things come down to personal taste, my ears quantitatively hear significantly more extended bass/wider soundstage with better 3D separation/more natural sound signature (ie, not as digital sounding) with the Sony X. The amp3 sounds more cold/clinical/mids and vocals focused/narrower soundstage/weaker bass

Another POV of interest in comparing the Amp3 and S9/Sony X, to illustrate your point.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5992498-post1118.html

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #2,299 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save the photos as baseline standard instead of baseline optimized or progressive. This should fix your problem.

Nice first impressions btw. Welcome to the growing club.

Thanks a lot! saving as baseline standard did solve my problem!

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #2,300 of 3,761
vkarthik-

Nice find about the award! It just confirms what we all already know and enjoy about the X. Good that it's getting the recognition it is.

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #2,301 of 3,761
Some of my impressions using the X with IE8 and CK100.

I think the IE8 has great synergy with the X, quite noticably better than with A728. I often found IE8 too warm with A728, but with X1060 it sounds superb. The warmness is just right, and the bass is more tamed. The depth of the music is improved, along with a crisper overall sound.

Ck100, however, doesnt sound that great with the X, i think its a bit too calm for my liking. I'm rather disappointed because I find CK100 + A728 to be a perfect portable combination for me, and I thought it would be further improved with X1060. I guess this is because A728 is warmer and slightly more bass heavy, so it matches with the CK100 sound signature really well.

On another note, the stock headphones are acutally pretty good. They have slightly recessed mids and somewhat harsh trebles, but they would certainly not kill my ears if I need them for noise cancelling circumstances.

I guess my new combo would be X + IE8, and A728 + CK100
ksc75smile.gif

Oh and I wish Sony would include 2 more custom EQ slots, since i'm one of those rare people here who actually uses EQ :p

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #2,302 of 3,761
so I bought the X back in July, a week after the opportunity to return it passed, I dropped it. The outer glass screen was fine but the screen beneath it cracked, rendering the player useless. (I now have a very expensive $433 flash drive.) For those few weeks I was in heaven. Tomorrow is my first opportunity to buy a replacement. I really want the X. But it IS another $400. The Zune HD comes out tomorrow. And there is the S9. Both have 32 gig models $100 cheaper, (Although with the touch coming out with a 64gb model at the same price point as the sony 32, a price drop would seem iminent, but I don't have the patience.) Would you advise that I repurchase the X, or get the s9 or the ZUNE. I like the zune. I really do. But I need my eq and eq presets often do not cut it for me. (Honestly, What? All these advance "tegra" processors, touch screens, "gaming features"....whats so damn hard about a custom eq Microsoft and Apple?) I kinda want to splurge on the Zune anyway because aside from the music, the X is not saying too much. opinions?

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #2,303 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by akasan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so I bought the X back in July, a week after the opportunity to return it passed, I dropped it. The outer glass screen was fine but the screen beneath it cracked, rendering the player useless. (I now have a very expensive $433 flash drive.) For those few weeks I was in heaven. Tomorrow is my first opportunity to buy a replacement. I really want the X. But it IS another $400. The Zune HD comes out tomorrow. And there is the S9. Both have 32 gig models $100 cheaper, (Although with the touch coming out with a 64gb model at the same price point as the sony 32, a price drop would seem iminent, but I don't have the patience.) Would you advise that I repurchase the X, or get the s9 or the ZUNE. I like the zune. I really do. But I need my eq and eq presets often do not cut it for me. (Honestly, What? All these advance "tegra" processors, touch screens, "gaming features"....whats so damn hard about a custom eq Microsoft and Apple?) I kinda want to splurge on the Zune anyway because aside from the music, the X is not saying too much. opinions?

You need to work out what's most important to you, sq, gizmos etc then make your choice. You could try the S9 and return it if you're not happy, look at it as the opportunity to have tried both the the Sony X and the S9.

It comes down to a personal choice, there's no point in asking which one you should buy as we're mostly biased towards the X here.

Oh and buy a silicone cover this time.

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #2,304 of 3,761
I like the video NATURE Sony included with the player.
Does any one know what the song is?

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #2,305 of 3,761
Well I see in the other thread that some of you are ditching your X's for the new non touch screen A and NW series walkmans?

Shame on you.
smackbum.gif

I hope Sony drop the X series so you can't come crawling back to our owners club.
chuckle.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #2,307 of 3,761
Well, for me the X1060 is great except I do not like the touchscreen, do ont care for wifi and feel 32GB is a little too small.
So that new Sony seems to be a perfect player for me, but I most certainly won't be an early adopter, the X1060 is satisfying enough to get me through another year or more if necessary, and I'm planning a big holiday to Asia in the winter and am upgrading the home stereo. OTOH, a payrise might be coming soon...

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #2,308 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I see in the other thread that some of you are ditching your X's for the new non touch screen A and NW series walkmans?

Shame on you.
smackbum.gif

I hope Sony drop the X series so you can't come crawling back to our owners club.
chuckle.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippyboy_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha you loyal X owners..

biggrin.gif

Fortunatelly it's not just a matter of loyalty.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really am overwhelmed by the X, as I mentioned in the new A series thread.
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #2,310 of 3,761
I bought the X for the SQ and I got what I asked for. I had a chance to try out S9 and thought the sound was too hollow and didn't match up with X. Zune HD's also disappointing because it sounds identical to Zune 120.

The best alternative for X at this point would be Sony's new 64GB A series..same S-master amp, much thinner model. 64GB or 128GB X would be a dream come true, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back