i have ghost reveries.. what should my next opeth album be?
Mar 26, 2006 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
^^^^^^^^^^^^?

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, here's another thread asking the same question...
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159492

And my thoughts, copied from that thread:
Quote:

Here's my run down on Opeth albums, for those who care...

Accessibility
Damnation
Still Life
Ghost Reveries
Blackwater Park
My Arms Your Hearse
Morningrise
Deliverance
Orchid

Personal Preference
My Arms Your Hearse
Blackwater Park
Still Life
Ghost Reveries
Morningrise
Orchid
Damnation
Deliverance

For the accessibility issue, there's a huge gap from Damnation to Orchid/Deliverance, IMO. Damnation is pretty vanilla, with "Windowpane" and "In My Time Of Need" being the only two tracks which really hold my attention. Otherwise I find it a little dull. I find Deliverance a little monotonous as well, but at the opposite end of the spectrum of Damnation, where it's just an onslaught from start to finish without the changes that make most of their work so enjoyable for me. Orchid is tougher to get into because of the production value, which is the weakest of their albums, and the rather meandering songs. Morningrise is a huge step from Orchid in terms of production value and focus, but is still a little unfocused for me to really get into sometimes.

As for enjoyment, My Arms Your Hearse is damn near the perfect album for me. I love everything about it. Well, production-wise it leaves a little to be desired, but beyond that, it's amazing. I'm a big fan of the album's story and lyrics, it has the perfect balance of sadness and anger in both the lyrics and music. The riffs are some of my favorites, as is the guitar sound they achieve. Originally I wished it had more mellow/acoustic parts, but now I wouldn't change a thing. I feel Still Life was a little too much the opposite way... it's one of the more melodic albums, but I guess it doesn't have quite the punch that I find in Blackwater Park, which is why I don't enjoy it as much as some.

Well, that's enough rambling from me... Good luck and I hope you enjoy whichever album you pick up next.

I don't think you can make a bad choice, but I'd say Still Life is probably the closest in overall sound to Ghost Reveries, so that might be the best place to go next.

Mar 26, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
Well, here's another thread asking the same question...
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159492

And my thoughts, copied from that thread:

I don't think you can make a bad choice, but I'd say Still Life is probably the closest in overall sound to Ghost Reveries, so that might be the best place to go next.

so if i want melodic i should go with still life, but if i want more "onslaught" as you put it i should go with My Arms Your Hearse?

would My Arms Your Hearse be completely opposite Ghost Reveries? i want to explore a different side of the band...

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond
so if i want melodic i should go with still life, but if i want more "onslaught" as you put it i should go with My Arms Your Hearse?

would My Arms Your Hearse be completely opposite Ghost Reveries? i want to explore a different side of the band...

Well, it would be easy for me to say My Arms, Your Hearse, as that's definitely my favorite in their catalog. But if you're looking for the biggest change from Ghost Reveries, I'd say go for Deliverance. A lot of people, myself included, find it to lack the balance of other albums because most of the melodic material ended up on Damnation. But if you're looking for a solid kick in the pants, Deliverance would be the way to go. My Arms, Your Hearse, on the other hand, has some of their hardest riffs, but it's balanced with some beautiful breakdowns.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back