i have been recomended the Sony D-NE300, how is the bass
Jun 4, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Think you're asking the wrong people. We are a bunch that does like their sound to be close to the real thing. Not distorted with loads of bass.
To each his own but I'm afraid you won't find the aswer here.

We are, indeed, a bunch that does like their sound to be close to the real thing - or more specifically, close to what was actually recorded on the CD or MP3. And we will never recommend that anyone sacrifice the sound quality in favour of more bass.

And whatever bass you heard from a car subwoofer, it's very likely that you've heard a really cheap car subwoofer that delivers severely bloated, one-noted, peaky mid-bass response with no real low-end extension (or "bass-ment", as our good friend Mike Walker had termed truly deep low-end extension).

Jun 4, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 25
For your requirements, I'd suggest the combination of the "U Bass" or "Metal" EQ option on the iRiver players along with a Sony MDR-G74SL Street Style phone. The G74 has a punchier and less bloaty bass than the PX200... on a par with the PX100, but with slightly more punch than the PX100. It's also more efficient so it starts distorts at higher volumes. The G74 also sounds generally better (less 'hollow') than the PX100 on those EQ settings.

The D-NE series players will give you a lot of bass when you set the 'heavy' preset or make your own low-end biased EQ curve, but the "U Bass" and "Metal" settings on the iRiver players are on a whole new scale of boom.

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 25
Eagle Driver,

"And whatever bass you heard from a car subwoofer, it's very likely that you've heard a really cheap car subwoofer that delivers severely bloated, one-noted, peaky mid-bass response with no real low-end extension (or "bass-ment", as our good friend Mike Walker had termed truly deep low-end extension)."

I disagree. I run a high end eclipse head mount cd player with rockford fosgate amps to an eclipse 10 inch subwoofer. It has incredibly tight impactful bass and pairs with my eclipse seperates to give me an incredible soundstage including mids and highs.

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #21 of 25
Metal EQ gives out the most bass.

I'm pretty sure it must be there. It's in my 180T. But I did need a firmware update.
Have you updated your 380 with the latest firmware?

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #22 of 25
I take it you have the US version of the 380T?

If you use the manager to transfer files you can upload this firmware to the player:

http://iriver.com/support/download_v...%20&%20Drivers

It explains it all on the site.
Also try the extreme 3D. I think that one gives plenty bass too.

But I think you should already have metal EQ. Press on the middle button long untill you see the EQ in the right bottom. Press long again until you see the next EQ setting. Repeat this untill you see the metal EQ.

For the most bass in extreme 3D you need to change the settings in the menu.

hope this help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #23 of 25
Me again.

Read #4 in the text I linked you to. If you're already running this firmware this might be your problem of the metal EQ not showing up. It must be checked in the menu.

Jun 6, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #25 of 25
I use a pair of Sony 7506's with the D-NE300. The 7506 is supposed to be quite a bassy 'phone. On the D-NE300's heavy equalizer setting, there's as much bass as I want. If you can't sample a pair of 7506's or there's something about their sound that turns you off, try the Sennheiser 212 Pro's. I had considered myself a bit of a bass nut, at least by these guys' standards, before I tried a pair of 212's, but they had too much bass for my liking, and they're dirt cheap. I can't see how you'd be unhappy with the bass from a D-NE300 paired with Sennheiser 212 Pro's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back