i have been recomended the Sony D-NE300, how is the bass
Jun 4, 2004 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

puppet

100+ Head-Fier
i already have an mp3 player, right now all i care about is sound quallity, mainly the bass.

My mp3 player doesnt have any bass, so i want a cd player with killer bass, Help me out, is this what i should get.

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 25
I'm sorry, but no current portable player can reproduce killer bass without severe distortion, even at fairly low volume levels. And any attempts to reproduce killer bass on a portable would be met with nasty clipping.

And I seriously doubt that even the best vintage PCDPs can deliver the bass that you want, either. You'll have to get a full-sized stationary home system in order to get that kind of bass.

In other words, you'll have to either give up on bass to get the portability that you want, or sacrifice transportability in order to get the bass that you crave. And unfortunately, there is no happy medium at all whatsoever.

Obviously, then, all you care about is quantity of bass - and you don't even care if the rest of the sound is horrible in quality, nor do you care at all if the quality of the bass is muddy and one-noted. My standards for bass, however, is much lower in quantity - but better in quality, even in a huge full-sized home system. As someone in these forums had said a couple of years ago:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Walker
"More" bass ain't "better" bass!

Also, around that same time, we came up with the term that applies to anybody who cares for nothing but bloated, boomy, overboosted bass: "Duh-m-bass". Which is exactly the description that you appear to fit.

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 25
I dont mind too much distortion, someone brought some cd player, i think it was panasonic, and the bass was awsome, though it was extremly distored and my headphones were crackling i thought it was awsome and didnt care.

So if i dont care about distortion too much what cd player will provide excelent bass.

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by puppet
I dont mind too much distortion, someone brought some cd player, i think it was panasonic, and the bass was awsome, though it was extremly distored and my headphones were crackling i thought it was awsome and didnt care.

So if i dont care about distortion too much what cd player will provide excelent bass.

However, I do mind any distortion at all whatsoever.

Thus, obviously my standards are very different from yours.

By the way, which MP3 player do you have? If you can tell us, we can tell if it's crappy to begin with, or if it's a model that's even semi-well-respected in these forums.

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 25
Oh... The iRiver iFP-3##T series of flash MP3 players is well-respected here in these forums, as far as flash-based players go.

Unfortunately, as far as Panasonic PCDPs go, I haven't heard a recent player that sounds good overall. In fact, very recent models of Panasonic players have a mid-bass hump with severe bass roll-off and absolutely no low-end extension at all whatsoever. And Panasonic has not made a decent-sounding PCDP since the SL-CT470 and SL-CT570 four years ago.

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 25
That's a good mp3 player. How can it be low on bass? Have you tried the metal EQ setting (is that one on the 380T?)

What headphones are you using? Maybe some bass heavy headphones might be what you're looking for like the Senn px100.

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 25
haha, i`m actually using the px100`s and i just ordered some E2`s for isolation.

I seriosly want to feel like i`m jammming in a car and the subs are thumping.

Whatever cd player that guy had, everyone went crazy when they heard it and i want one, we tested my px100`s on it and everyone went crazy after that, the PCDP was AWSOME!!! . JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING WITH THUMPING BASS PLZ!!!

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

haha, i`m actually using the px100`s and i just ordered some E2`s for isolation.

I seriosly want to feel like i`m jammming in a car and the subs are thumping.

Whatever cd player that guy had, everyone went crazy when they heard it and i want one, we tested my px100`s on it and everyone went crazy after that, the PCDP was AWSOME!!! . JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING WITH THUMPING BASS PLZ!!!

And since you are unable to find exactly which model or brand of your friend's PCDP, I cannot make any recommendations there. I am assuming that it's an older-model Panasonic of the pre-Y2K generation, particularly one that has little or no anti-skip. In that case, you'll have to buy an older PCDP used. Most current-model PCDPs are equally as weak as that iFP-380T in output power.

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 25
okay tell me this, someone put there Sony D-NE300 on full bass and play a song. Just tell me how much the bass thumps, only do this if you have a reasonalbly good pair of headphones.

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

okay tell me this, someone put there Sony D-NE300 on full bass and play a song. Just tell me how much the bass thumps, only do this if you have a reasonalbly good pair of headphones.

You just won't get a lot of that thumping bass, no matter what you do with that player. That's because the parametric EQ on that player doesn't give you the maximum but distorting bass boost that the older Mega Bass would have given you - the parametric EQ would only allow you to alter the overall shape of the response curve, and not necessarily boost the bass.

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 25
Puppet,

I went through the 3 12 inch subwoofers in the back of my car with 1000 watts. Now I have one 10 inch with 250 watts and it blows away my old setup. TOO much bass IMHO opinion is not the way music should be auditioned. It's great for the wow factor but your ears will quickly become fautiged. Tight punchy bass is better then boomy bass. Good luck.

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

read the reviews on this PCDP

http://tinyurl.com/36wzg

apparntly the bass is awsome, how is this player.

I seriosly only care about bass pretty much, but why did they include those headphones those things are $20, thats a waste, cause i already have headphones.

That was last year's bottom-of-the-line Sony PCDP. The current model that replaced it is the D-EJ100. The only significant difference between the two (other than looks and on-unit control layout) is that this year's model comes with a wired remote - a funky-looking one with no display, admittedly. But the included headphones are different (and even cheaper) on this year's model compared to last year's model: Last year's model came with low-end Sony Street Style headphones valued at $20, while this year's model comes with the funky in-ear with clip w.ear's valued at $10.

Jun 4, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 25
Think you're asking the wrong people. We are a bunch that does like their sound to be close to the real thing. Not distorted with loads of bass.
To each his own but I'm afraid you won't find the aswer here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back