I have a broken D-25
May 13, 2004 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Achtunghoy

100+ Head-Fier
So I got it off of ebay, and I was hoping I could fix it with the help of my Head-Fi peers. It spins up, but it won't start playing the track. This is with a redbook cd. Not burned. While it is spinning up, I heard sets of a *rrrrr* followed by a click (reminded me of when my Karma died!) and then after 15 seconds, the unit shuts off. Any thoughts?

*rrrr*..click..*rrrr*..click..*rrrr*..click....

May 16, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Have you taken it apart yet? Don't be afraid, it is not that hard, just be sure not to drop the screws. The D-25S you see in my profile had exactly the same problem and it turned out one of the gear wheels (which are made of plastic, sadly) was broken into pieces so the laser was unable to move. But maybe your wormdrive just has old sticky lubricant that prevents it from moving properly. I'd suggest you do a search, there are many articles on repairing D-25 units AFAIR.

May 16, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 10
I have taken it apart, and I didn't notice anything. I will do it again, though. I was also skimming the discman repair thread.

May 17, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 10
I've had a similar problem as you have, and i agree with oliver: check the gears that they arent broken or stuck.

good luck
josh

May 17, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 10
I oiled all the gears, and I even moved the laser to the outer position. Then I started it up, the laser moved back to the inside, but it didn't move again. I have no idea.

May 17, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #8 of 10
Have you checked the trim pots, perchance? In most Discmans, there's 3-4. If you've read the Repair thread, did you see my admittedly-crappy ASCII representation of the pots? Bear in mind on a different model; the tracking pot was on the lower left, so apparently they vary. Anyway, if you can find it, try adjusting that. Basically, turn it one way; if it tries reading, keep turning it. If it gets worse, turn it back
biggrin.gif
Crude, yes, and ideally you should have an oscilloscope, but I don't, so I go with what works.

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 18, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 10
I'll try to do that, but I have no idea where that stuff is. My sister took our camera to thailand, so I can't take pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back