I have a brand new pair of HE-400's. Should I sell them and upgrade to something better?
Oct 17, 2016 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Toxicz

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I have a brand new, un-opened pair of HE-400's right here. 

My question is, should I sell them and upgrade to something better? Something like an HD 600, or HE-400I, etc...

Oh, and if it helps any, I have a Schiit Stack.

I've had them before, this is just a brand new pair straight from HiFiMan. I feel like this is my prime opportunity to upgrade if I want.

I do love the HE-400's, but I feel like I could sell them and upgrade to something that sounds better than they do, IE HD 600, HE-400I, etc.

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 4
It really depends - the HE-400's are a great set of headphones and really shine with proper amplification. If you've got a super discerning ear, then maybe an upgrade would be a good idea. If you're new to hi-fi, why not ease into it? Hi-Fi is a journey, there's no fun in jumping straight to the end - take time with each pair of headphones you pick up and really get to know their sound. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Have not heard the 400i's yet. I have the 400's and 400S's though after grill and Sorbothane mod I'm starting to like the 400's a bit more they are just a bit more lively. HD 600's are a different ballgame all together. Totally different sound all together. Not that it is bad but different. I tend to like the 600's more than the 650's but prefer my 700's over both of them. The 700's get a bad rep on head fi but I think they are really good myself. There are many ways to go you have to just pick a path.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 4
  It really depends - the HE-400's are a great set of headphones and really shine with proper amplification. If you've got a super discerning ear, then maybe an upgrade would be a good idea. If you're new to hi-fi, why not ease into it? Hi-Fi is a journey, there's no fun in jumping straight to the end - take time with each pair of headphones you pick up and really get to know their sound. 

I've used the HE-400's for almost three years now, and I do love them, but I feel like now is my prime opportunity to upgrade, considering I have a brand new pair that will sell well, and I can use that money + more to upgrade to something better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back